What is your future computer build?

i recently impulse bought corsair 780t white so next step is saving money getting rid of current bench(3770K) and buying r7 1700  or i7 8700k i guess i should be able to do all this by feb or march then by diwali next year i should be ordering EK parts 

I might be looking a little farther in the future than some here for my next build, as some of the components probably aren't even a gleam in the manufacturers' eyes yet. ;)

This is basically what I'd like my next system to be for an upgrade, especially in performance/price, features/price, etc. :)

Planned / hoped-for time frame:  2020 to 2022, preferably the earlier part of that range.  Basically post-AM4, post-Tiger Lake / Sapphire Rapids -- when DDR5 and PCI Express 5.0 are available and Intel has eradicated legacy BIOS, among other things.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BDGDD8
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BDGDD8/by_merchant/

(Ignore the above URLs.  I was putting parts in so I'd have all the possible categories filled.  I wanted a template to make my own list from, and it wasn't including parts that weren't selected.  For example, with only a CPU added, there was only a "CPU:" line.)

Core Components ...

• CPU: ($250.00 to $300.00) {Initially 4-6 core with SMT, 3.6+ GHz, 240+ CB R15 1-thread @ $50, then, ~4-8 months later, after re-saving up} 12-16+ core / 24-32+ thread, 4+ GHz, ≥320-400 CB 1T - something overall 12-16x or more faster than my i7-4790K, or fast enough to encode 4K H.265 (or then-equivalent) lossless all-Intra/Keyframes at 60fps / 2x realtime (whichever is faster)
  • CPU Cooler: (~ $80.00 to $150.00) Something that'll keep the CPUs cool in a 40-50°C ambinent environment, and still be quieter under full load than the spindle motor of a WD Green/Blue 5400rpm HDD.
  • Thermal Compound: ($5.00 to $15.00) {If it doesn't come with the cooler} Something that's high quality, like NT-H1, IC Diamond, TG Kryonaut, etc.  Not liquid metal, unless…
  • Thermal Compound: ($?? - guessing $50 or so.) {If sending off for delidding, for use between the IHS & die} Liquid Metal / Copper / Solder / similar. 
  • Motherboard: ($250.00 to $400.00) 4+ CPU sockets, 7+ PCIe 5.0 x16 (all wired for x16, and no bandwidth restrictions like x16/x0 or x8/x8 that most SLI-compatible LGA1151 boards have), 32 DDR5 slots supporting registered ECC, 4+ M.2 PCIe/SATA slots, 8+ SATA ports, 4+ U.2 ports, 8+ SAS ports (each splittable 4-way, for 32+ SATA devices), etc.  (upper end of price range ONLY if newer CPUs can go into the same socket more than 12-15 years later.)
  • Memory: (~ $200.00) {Initially 64GB (2x32) DDR5-3200 unbuffered ECC @ $50, then 6-8 months later} 1TB (8x128GB) unbuffered ECC
  • Storage: (~ $120.00) 2 or 4 TB NVMe / non-volatile-DRAM SSD
  • Storage: (~ $150.00 - $200.00 each.) 4x 16 or 32 TB SAS/NVMe Mass Storage SSD
  • Video Card: (~ $200.00 to $350.00) Something that gets a minimum of 60-100 fps at 4K, max settings (including cranking AA and scaling all the way up), in the then-newest AAA titles.  And/or, something that can encode multiple 4K HEVC lossless video streams in real time for streaming.  (Initial monitor & GPU combo not to exceed $700.)
  • Case: ($100.00 to $150.00) A standard style (not rackmount) case capable of housing all the parts, with aesthetic design similar to a Fractal Design Arc series case.
  • Power Supply: (~ $250.00 to $400.00) 80+ Titanium or 1 or 2 certification levels above, ripple under 5 mV on all rails, voltage regulation within 0.1% (better than JonnyGuru's Mythic score), 12-year warranty or longer, fully modular, etc.
  • Operating System: ($0.00) Linux that's fully binary compatible with legacy AND modern Windows, Mac, Android, IOS, etc. apps {can run them natively without needing compatibility software like WINE, VirtualBox, etc.}
  • Software: ($0.00) FOSS software as much as possible.

Total, core components: $2,055 to $2,935.00

Peripherals / Accessories / Extras ...

Spoiler

• Video Card: ($150.00 to $250.00) Capture card capable of inputting both digital (like 8K) AND analog (like VHS & 8mm reel film played on a projector) formats.
  • Optical Drive: (~ $60 to $100.) {Optional, unless something else like NVME-speed USB flash drives are cheaper per drive and per capacity than 100-pack-bulk-purchased optical disks}  Minimum 4K Blu-Ray optical drive.
  • Sound Card: ($150.00 to $250.00) Multi-Channel card for production work, with a separately-purchased mixing board (or included software).
  • Wired Network Adapter: (~ $70.00 to $150.00) Something as fast as the 8-channel DRAM (Prefer integrated with motherboard; cost is if not included.)
  • Wireless Network Adapter: (~ $40.00 to $100.00) Something faster than 2x PCIe 5.0 x16 in ?SLI? (Prefer integrated with motherboard; cost is if not included.)
  • Case Fan: ($0.00) All combined, including case, gpu/cpu cooler, psu fans, etc. should be quieter at full load than a single 5400rpm HDD's spindle motor when the head is idle.  (all included with other items)
  • Fan Controller: ($0.00) Built into case, and/or smartphone app
  • Monitor: (~ $250.00 to $400.00) 27-32", 4K (3840x2160), 10-bit or 12-bit, 100% sRGB / Adobe RGB, 60+ Hz, HDR, IPS or OLED, adaptive sync, etc. (combined cost of Monitor & main Video Card not to exceed $700.)
  • Keyboard: (~ $70.00 to $150.00) Wireless mechanical keyboard with per-key RGB backlighting, NKRO, programmable function/media/macro/etc. keys, spillproof, silent enough (even when typing hard) so your cat could be sleeping on a wooden desk right next to your keyboard while you're typing furiously, and not wake the cat up.
  • Mouse: (~ $40.00 to $80.00) Wireless, multi-DPI, multi-button, fully programmable.
  • Headphones: ($100.00 to $300.00) Wireless, flat frequency response (± 1 dB from 16 Hz (or 8 Hz if possible) to 20+ kHz), good enough isolation to be able to operate a chainsaw or similar power tool with only the headphones on (while your music is at least 60dB above the noise of the tool, without the music ever approaching "unsafe" levels), doesn't make your ears sweat after an all-day session even when the ambient temperature is ≥ 50°C / 122°F, can survive intense punishment that would break most other headphones.  Includes high-quality professional-studio-grade mic.
  • Speakers: ($80.00 to $250.00) Something high quality, flat frequency response, good enough bass so you can FEEL it in other rooms without cranking the volume up to unsafe levels, crisp clarity throughout the range (also on the headphones) - for example able to distinguish individual notes when playing a major chord using the bottom octave of a piano, etc.
  • External Storage: ($100.00 to $250.00) Separately built NAS system, hopefully already built by then.  (Using either LGA1151, or LGA1366 or Socket F or LGA 2011.)  To be used for backups, not for remote file access.  At minimum, has support for 12+ 3.5" HDDs.  (price does not include hard drives.)
  • UPS: (~ $250.00 to $700.00) Something capable of running at full system load for 30+ minutes, or light loads (web browsing, office work, etc.) most of the day.

Total, peripherals / accessories / extras: ~ $1,360.00 to $2,980.00

Total: $3,415.00 to $5,865.00  (Adding above numbers up gives $5,915, but max combined price for GPU + monitor would be exceeded, for example.)

Hmm.. need to figure out a way to get the total under $2,000 with minimal sacrifices.  Maybe a few other parts could be relegated to the "get enough to get by now, upgrade several months later" category.  (And after doing the within-next-year upgrades, total should still be < $3,000.00)

Prices include shipping and taxes (CA has use tax which is like sales tax for out-of-state purchases, payable upon filing your return the following April.  Although, in some situations it can work out to be less - for example I paid $2 after buying a $800 camera a couple years ago), but do not include mail-in rebates or deep once-a-year discounts like Black Friday sales.  (Small common/frequent discounts can be reflected in the above prices, though.)

Generated by me, using a PCPartPicker template, 2017-11-26 05:55 PST-0800

Then, later upgrades **while retaining the same case and motherboard**, over the consecutive lifetimes of at least 3 or 4 SeaSonic Prime PSUs …

Spoiler

• CPU: ($150.00 each.) {1-2 years later} A 2nd, 3rd & 4th of the same for the other sockets.
  • CPU:  ($200.00 to $250.00 each, or $500.00 to $700.00 total for all 4 sockets.) {~5-6 years later, on same motherboard} something about 6-8x faster than previous.  Repeat a few times.
  • CPU: ($200.00 for four.) {after having gone about 3x past the warranty length of a SeaSonic Prime PSU purchased with the initial build} Something like a 100+ core with 4-way SMT, 1000+ Cinebench R15 single-threaded at 2 GHz, purchased on eBay, was originally $10K each new.
  • Memory (~ $350.00): {4-6 years later, or as needed - up to} 32TB (32x1TB) DDR5-3200 Registered ECC
  • Storage:  (~ $250.00 to $350.00 per drive, maximum.) {later, as needed} probably drives with capacities rated in PB or EB, with sequential AND random transfer rates such that an entire drive can be written & read in at most 5 minutes.
  • Power Supply: (~ $150.00 to $250.00) {To replace above PSU after it's died of old age well past warranty}  Newer version of above.  Repeat at least 3 times BEFORE buying a new motherboard.
  • Monitor: (~ $350.00 to $500.00) {a few years later, when good quality 8K video cameras (as in, as good at 8K as something like a Sony A7s II is at 4K) are available under $1000-2000} 8K, 120+ Hz, otherwise similar to above
  • Monitor: {as needed / wanted} Multiples of the above.

I just ordered my delidding tool and I hope to pick up a Volta/Ampere (maybe SLI) next year with a 1440p IPS 144Hz ultrawide. Other than that I am looking at some storage upgrades like one more M.2 and larger SSDs for my two pc's.

Some other large upgrades I want is to get a 4k TV and a nice home theater surround system

"To the wise, life is a problem; to the fool, a solution" (Marcus Aurelius)

Don't really need a new PC but the enthusiast in me screams for one, plus it'd be a good upgrade since I do video editing so I'm planning to do one probably in January.

My current plan:

• CPU - i7-7820X (Maybe i9-7900X) // Think I might buy off siliconlottery.com. Delidded/replaced paste for better thermals + I can get a guaranteed reachable overclock. I might also just do it myself though, but I'd only do it if something like Der8auer's delidding tool is available.
  • CPU Cooler - Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L RGB
  • RAM -  G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3000 Mhz (2x8GB) 16GB // Would like to get Trident Z RGB and upgrade to 32GB but I'm thinking I'll stick with my 16GB kit until prices come back to normal...
  • GPU - Asus ROG Strix GTX 1070 OC (Recycling) // Think I'll ride it out as mentioned. I can just turn down settings as necessary for 4K.
  • Storage 1 - ADATA XPG SX8000 512GB M.2 NVMe SSD // Games
  • Storage 2 - Samsung 850 Pro 128GB SSD (Recycling) // Windows 10
  • Storage 3 - Seagate Firecuda 2TB SSHD (Recycling) // Games don't really benefit from SSD
  • Storage 4 - Seagate Barracuda 4TB HDD // Mass Storage. Storage for media.
  • Keyboard - Logitech G613 Wireless Mechanical Keyboard // Don't really need wireless but I like the keyboard and a clean (minimal cables) would be pretty sweet. I do also rather like Cooler Master's upcoming keyboard (not wireless) though also.. might change my mind. What would really sway me probably is the switches. My original pick was Cherry MX Red. Don't really know about Logitech's RomerG switches. I also was considering Corsair's Strafe RGB w/ their exclusive Cherry MX Silent Red switches since the quieter typing would be nice. I don't like their the looks of their keyboards though... meh. Not really looking to just 'settle' with things.
  • Mouse - Asus ROG Spatha Wireless Mouse // I think I could go for a heavier/bigger than usual mouse, so, Spatha.
  • Monitor 1 - Asus VP239H-P 1080p IPS (Recycling)
  • Monitor 2 - Asus VP239H-P 1080p IPS
  • Monitor 3 - Probably this one. 32'' 4K IPS HDR and it's not like $900-$1100... Just $400. Would love G-Sync but that'd obviously drive the price up, lol. Got FreeSync though.
  • Capture Card - Elgato HD60 Pro // For recording my PS4. Plan to get a PS4 Pro / Elgato 4K60 Pro but that $800. (Both are $400) Not sure I can squeeze that in the budget... so I'll probably just wait on both. I want the PC above all else.
  • Headphones/Headset - Still kinda iffy here. I want to get a good pair of headphones (like audiophile) and also want wireless. Would also like to still keep a mic. I love my Sennheiser Game ZERO's but I hate the cord. Especially since it's like 6FT long and I only need like 1.5-2FT of it. (Do some people really have their's PC that far away?)
  • Software - Adobe Photoshop Elements 2018 & Premiere Elements 2018 Student and Teacher

Thinking I'll get these. (Headphones)

Don't think there's much point in listing the rest. I'm still thinking with the case though. I'm planning on the Phanteks Enthoo Pro M (Black w/ Tempered Glass) but I really like some of the recent cases. My issue is though is that I need a drive bay as I don't want to do away with my optical drive. (I mean, I barely use it but I still don't want to just retire it.) It would be nice though, especially with USB Type C 3.1 gen 2 on the front i/o. Really like the Be Quiet! Dark Base 700. Think there was another case I liked but don't remember what it was. I figured I *could* retire my optical drive and just get a external one but meh... that just seems kinda silly. Do love the Dark Base 700 (in terms of looks) alot more though >_> I'm conflicted.

Also I've been kinda tossing around the thought (If I was buy a new GPU for the build rather than waiting anyway) of a RX Vega 64. May not be as great but wouldn't it be ideal since my monitor will be FreeSync? May not get to play 4K Ultra 60FPS but I'd settle for High or maybe even Medium. Maybe AMD will have a new line around the corner as well to compete with Volta though? Could wait and see what both sides serve up next year.

11 hours ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

I might be looking a little farther in the future than some here for my next build, as some of the components probably aren't even a gleam in the manufacturers' eyes yet. ;)

This is basically what I'd like my next system to be for an upgrade, especially in performance/price, features/price, etc. :)

Planned / hoped-for time frame:  2020 to 2022, preferably the earlier part of that range.  Basically post-AM4, post-Tiger Lake / Sapphire Rapids -- when DDR5 and PCI Express 5.0 are available and Intel has eradicated legacy BIOS, among other things.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BDGDD8
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BDGDD8/by_merchant/

(Ignore the above URLs.  I was putting parts in so I'd have all the possible categories filled.  I wanted a template to make my own list from, and it wasn't including parts that weren't selected.  For example, with only a CPU added, there was only a "CPU:" line.)

Core Components ...

• CPU: ($250.00 to $300.00) {Initially 4-6 core with SMT, 3.6+ GHz, 240+ CB R15 1-thread @ $50, then, ~4-8 months later, after re-saving up} 12-16+ core / 24-32+ thread, 4+ GHz, ≥320-400 CB 1T - something overall 12-16x or more faster than my i7-4790K, or fast enough to encode 4K H.265 (or then-equivalent) lossless all-Intra/Keyframes at 60fps / 2x realtime (whichever is faster)
  • CPU Cooler: (~ $80.00 to $150.00) Something that'll keep the CPUs cool in a 40-50°C ambinent environment, and still be quieter under full load than the spindle motor of a WD Green/Blue 5400rpm HDD.
  • Thermal Compound: ($5.00 to $15.00) {If it doesn't come with the cooler} Something that's high quality, like NT-H1, IC Diamond, TG Kryonaut, etc.  Not liquid metal, unless…
  • Thermal Compound: ($?? - guessing $50 or so.) {If sending off for delidding, for use between the IHS & die} Liquid Metal / Copper / Solder / similar. 
  • Motherboard: ($250.00 to $400.00) 4+ CPU sockets, 7+ PCIe 5.0 x16 (all wired for x16, and no bandwidth restrictions like x16/x0 or x8/x8 that most SLI-compatible LGA1151 boards have), 32 DDR5 slots supporting registered ECC, 4+ M.2 PCIe/SATA slots, 8+ SATA ports, 4+ U.2 ports, 8+ SAS ports (each splittable 4-way, for 32+ SATA devices), etc.  (upper end of price range ONLY if newer CPUs can go into the same socket more than 12-15 years later.)
  • Memory: (~ $200.00) {Initially 64GB (2x32) DDR5-3200 unbuffered ECC @ $50, then 6-8 months later} 1TB (8x128GB) unbuffered ECC
  • Storage: (~ $120.00) 2 or 4 TB NVMe / non-volatile-DRAM SSD
  • Storage: (~ $150.00 - $200.00 each.) 4x 16 or 32 TB SAS/NVMe Mass Storage SSD
  • Video Card: (~ $200.00 to $350.00) Something that gets a minimum of 60-100 fps at 4K, max settings (including cranking AA and scaling all the way up), in the then-newest AAA titles.  And/or, something that can encode multiple 4K HEVC lossless video streams in real time for streaming.  (Initial monitor & GPU combo not to exceed $700.)
  • Case: ($100.00 to $150.00) A standard style (not rackmount) case capable of housing all the parts, with aesthetic design similar to a Fractal Design Arc series case.
  • Power Supply: (~ $250.00 to $400.00) 80+ Titanium or 1 or 2 certification levels above, ripple under 5 mV on all rails, voltage regulation within 0.1% (better than JonnyGuru's Mythic score), 12-year warranty or longer, fully modular, etc.
  • Operating System: ($0.00) Linux that's fully binary compatible with legacy AND modern Windows, Mac, Android, IOS, etc. apps {can run them natively without needing compatibility software like WINE, VirtualBox, etc.}
  • Software: ($0.00) FOSS software as much as possible.

Total, core components: $2,055 to $2,935.00

Peripherals / Accessories / Extras ...

Reveal hidden contents

• Video Card: ($150.00 to $250.00) Capture card capable of inputting both digital (like 8K) AND analog (like VHS & 8mm reel film played on a projector) formats.
  • Optical Drive: (~ $60 to $100.) {Optional, unless something else like NVME-speed USB flash drives are cheaper per drive and per capacity than 100-pack-bulk-purchased optical disks}  Minimum 4K Blu-Ray optical drive.
  • Sound Card: ($150.00 to $250.00) Multi-Channel card for production work, with a separately-purchased mixing board (or included software).
  • Wired Network Adapter: (~ $70.00 to $150.00) Something as fast as the 8-channel DRAM (Prefer integrated with motherboard; cost is if not included.)
  • Wireless Network Adapter: (~ $40.00 to $100.00) Something faster than 2x PCIe 5.0 x16 in ?SLI? (Prefer integrated with motherboard; cost is if not included.)
  • Case Fan: ($0.00) All combined, including case, gpu/cpu cooler, psu fans, etc. should be quieter at full load than a single 5400rpm HDD's spindle motor when the head is idle.  (all included with other items)
  • Fan Controller: ($0.00) Built into case, and/or smartphone app
  • Monitor: (~ $250.00 to $400.00) 27-32", 4K (3840x2160), 10-bit or 12-bit, 100% sRGB / Adobe RGB, 60+ Hz, HDR, IPS or OLED, adaptive sync, etc. (combined cost of Monitor & main Video Card not to exceed $700.)
  • Keyboard: (~ $70.00 to $150.00) Wireless mechanical keyboard with per-key RGB backlighting, NKRO, programmable function/media/macro/etc. keys, spillproof, silent enough (even when typing hard) so your cat could be sleeping on a wooden desk right next to your keyboard while you're typing furiously, and not wake the cat up.
  • Mouse: (~ $40.00 to $80.00) Wireless, multi-DPI, multi-button, fully programmable.
  • Headphones: ($100.00 to $300.00) Wireless, flat frequency response (± 1 dB from 16 Hz (or 8 Hz if possible) to 20+ kHz), good enough isolation to be able to operate a chainsaw or similar power tool with only the headphones on (while your music is at least 60dB above the noise of the tool, without the music ever approaching "unsafe" levels), doesn't make your ears sweat after an all-day session even when the ambient temperature is ≥ 50°C / 122°F, can survive intense punishment that would break most other headphones.  Includes high-quality professional-studio-grade mic.
  • Speakers: ($80.00 to $250.00) Something high quality, flat frequency response, good enough bass so you can FEEL it in other rooms without cranking the volume up to unsafe levels, crisp clarity throughout the range (also on the headphones) - for example able to distinguish individual notes when playing a major chord using the bottom octave of a piano, etc.
  • External Storage: ($100.00 to $250.00) Separately built NAS system, hopefully already built by then.  (Using either LGA1151, or LGA1366 or Socket F or LGA 2011.)  To be used for backups, not for remote file access.  At minimum, has support for 12+ 3.5" HDDs.  (price does not include hard drives.)
  • UPS: (~ $250.00 to $700.00) Something capable of running at full system load for 30+ minutes, or light loads (web browsing, office work, etc.) most of the day.

Total, peripherals / accessories / extras: ~ $1,360.00 to $2,980.00

Total: $3,415.00 to $5,865.00  (Adding above numbers up gives $5,915, but max combined price for GPU + monitor would be exceeded, for example.)

Hmm.. need to figure out a way to get the total under $2,000 with minimal sacrifices.  Maybe a few other parts could be relegated to the "get enough to get by now, upgrade several months later" category.  (And after doing the within-next-year upgrades, total should still be < $3,000.00)

Prices include shipping and taxes (CA has use tax which is like sales tax for out-of-state purchases, payable upon filing your return the following April.  Although, in some situations it can work out to be less - for example I paid $2 after buying a $800 camera a couple years ago), but do not include mail-in rebates or deep once-a-year discounts like Black Friday sales.  (Small common/frequent discounts can be reflected in the above prices, though.)

Generated by me, using a PCPartPicker template, 2017-11-26 05:55 PST-0800

Then, later upgrades **while retaining the same case and motherboard**, over the consecutive lifetimes of at least 3 or 4 SeaSonic Prime PSUs …

Reveal hidden contents

• CPU: ($150.00 each.) {1-2 years later} A 2nd, 3rd & 4th of the same for the other sockets.
  • CPU:  ($200.00 to $250.00 each, or $500.00 to $700.00 total for all 4 sockets.) {~5-6 years later, on same motherboard} something about 6-8x faster than previous.  Repeat a few times.
  • CPU: ($200.00 for four.) {after having gone about 3x past the warranty length of a SeaSonic Prime PSU purchased with the initial build} Something like a 100+ core with 4-way SMT, 1000+ Cinebench R15 single-threaded at 2 GHz, purchased on eBay, was originally $10K each new.
  • Memory (~ $350.00): {4-6 years later, or as needed - up to} 32TB (32x1TB) DDR5-3200 Registered ECC
  • Storage:  (~ $250.00 to $350.00 per drive, maximum.) {later, as needed} probably drives with capacities rated in PB or EB, with sequential AND random transfer rates such that an entire drive can be written & read in at most 5 minutes.
  • Power Supply: (~ $150.00 to $250.00) {To replace above PSU after it's died of old age well past warranty}  Newer version of above.  Repeat at least 3 times BEFORE buying a new motherboard.
  • Monitor: (~ $350.00 to $500.00) {a few years later, when good quality 8K video cameras (as in, as good at 8K as something like a Sony A7s II is at 4K) are available under $1000-2000} 8K, 120+ Hz, otherwise similar to above
  • Monitor: {as needed / wanted} Multiples of the above.

Where did you hear about Intel destroying legacy BIOS?

Making plans for an X299 build for late next year once I actually get a good job in my desired career field.

Planning to have the successor to the 7820X or 7900X, a high end Asus board (I'm an Asus fanboy), EK custom loop kit on CPU+GPU, and a 2TB 960 Evo. Also want an AOC Agon or a Asus Swift UW 3440x1440 G-sync monitor.

Already setting aside money for the build. I'm anticipating spending $4000 on the entire thing at the end of the day.

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

51 minutes ago, TheCherryKing said:

Where did you hear about Intel destroying legacy BIOS?

https://www.google.com/search?q=intel+legacy+bios+2020&oq=intel+legacy+bios+2020&aqs=chrome..69i57.2621j0j2&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8 (and links to a few sites in spoiler, take your pick.)

Come to think of it, I think it was in one of the suggested articles on my phone's browser home page (when you scroll down).  I forget which site I first saw it on.

And someone made a thread on the forums...

Not happening until DRAM & storage prices lower significantly so is just a general outline at the minute and won't be for a while as it will already cost too much for how little I bother to use my current PC these days.

Case: Shift X (or similar) - Nearly bought one last week as it was on sale, but I'd prefer something with the new USB header and case that supports it natively rather than dremmeling

CPU: Ryzen refresh/Zen 2/Coffee Lake/Ice Lake (whatever is a good P2P at the time)

MB: Decent ITX board - with the new USB header

PSU: Whatever is a decent SFX PSU at the time - 500-600w maybe

GPU: Whatever is decent and not absurdly priced at the time (likely an Nvidia xx60-xx70 at current trends)

RAM: 32gb of something that doesn't look like ass, but isnt 4-5 times as expensive as it should be and runs at a decent speed

Cooler: Maybe some hardline watercooling as I haven't been bothered to really try it previously. 

Storage: Probably a 512gb-2tb NVME (I have plenty of other sata SSDs etc.) depending on prices at the time

Probably doing an aestetic upgrade. Changing my 1050ti to something more inline of a nvidia or amd reference cooler, because they are pretty. Swapping my case for something that looks non-gamery with tempered glass panel. Also new MB because aestetics

1 hour ago, drew6700 said:

-snip-

Personally I would go for something like the below (motherboard - optional - but I prefer to match case with the motherboard size - but have a look in to reviews. The one below is overkill, but does come with wifi built in). I picked out similar items to what you had, but you could go cheaper if needed on things like the the motherboard & cooler etc. You can also get the S340 elite in white for $20 more. A windows 10 pro key on Amazon is under $10.00 at present (slightly shady, but Amazon will help you out if it doesn't work and the seller turns out to be a ballbag, but it should be perfectly fine). I would also pickup a 2nd stick of whatever RAM you get, if you go for a single stick, whenever RAM prices settle down to something more sensible.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($189.89 @ OutletPC) 
CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler  ($63.49 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: ASRock - X370 KILLER SLI/ac ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($92.88 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($69.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($41.89 @ SuperBiiz) 
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Mini Video Card  ($239.99 @ B&H) 
Case: NZXT - S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($54.90 @ Newegg) 
Total: $913.01
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-27 09:44 EST-0500

I feel pretty good about my current build. There is no single GPU that is faster than my two 1070s, and this setup has been very useful to play on a 4K monitor, the overclocked Ryzen 7 is basically overkill, since it has only sees serious use when I run F@H, and 16 GB of DDR4 are more than enough, and upgrading is just not worth it at those ridiculous prices. The only thing I might want to change would be to swap my two 1070s for a couple of Vega 56s to take advantage of my monitor’s Freesyncness, but again, it is too much hassle.

ZamoRIG 2.0:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.9GHz

Cooling: DeepCool Captain 240 RGB + 2x Corsair ML120 fans

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming x2 

Motherboard: Asrock X370 Gaming K4 

RAM: 2x8GB DDR4 G Skill Ripjaws V Grey @ 2800MHz 

SSDs: 2xPatriot Ignite M.2 240GB

HDD: WD Black 1TB + WD Green 2TB

PSU: Corsair RM750

Case: Corsair Carbide 400C

ZamoRIG “Portable”:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @ 4GHz

Cooling: Corsair H80i 

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350N Gaming WiFi

RAM: 1x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance  @ 2400MHz 

SSD: Patriot Ignite M.2 240GB 

HDD: 2TB 2.5” Seagate HDD 

PSU: Corsair TX650M 

Case: Siverstone SG13

New build, hopefully by summer:

Be Quiet Dark Base 900

i7 8700k

Asus Maximus X Hero z370

16gb 3200mhz ram (any brand)

Asus strix 1080Ti

Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 3 cooler

960 Evo 1tb m.2

Be Quiet Dark Power 750 watt psu 

This will become my new living room pc. My old one will be used when I play multiplayer Farm Simulator with my son ?. Just need to buy a monitor for it, a high refresh rate 27” 1440p from Asus or Acer I expect. 

Btw, old one is i7 6700k, 16gb 2800 ram, strix 1080ti, 500gb ssd, fractal design define s, LG 55” 4K TV. 

Love not hate

Since I will be doing a pc build montage around Christmas, I am afraid of being called "spoiled" help.

I think I'll need to say why I need it...

Maybe swap out my R5 1600 with the next gen Ryzen. If the performance bump is worth it. Other than that, I don't see any other upgrade reason for my pc now. 

People quoting posts with all the pictures should get banned from internet!

R5 1600 3.9GHz | ASUS STRIX B350-F | Corsair LPX  32GB RAM | KFA2 GTX 1080Ti W/C | Corsair Force 480GB NVMe  | Seagate 1TB 2.5" | beQuiet Pure Power 10 700W | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M | Phanteks Glacier RGB W/C | LG 29UM68 | Steelseries Apex M750 | Steelseries Rival 310 | Steelseries QcK Limited | Steelseries Arctis 5 | Creative X-Fi 5.1 PRO |  W10 64-bit |