Hub vs Hubless Smart lighting systems and Wifi

TechSquidTV

Should you be at all concerned about a large number of bulbs being connected over wifi in a hubless system vs a Hub like the hue system?

It shouldn't be a problem as they require little bandwidth. The only concern would be congestion depending how often they access the network, however if deigned properly it shouldn't affect anything.

Best course of action would be to get a second access point so you can have a completely separate network for all your IOT devices using a different wifi channel to avoid congestion. It also means they can't access your PC if they have a security flaw.

i rather have a hub (or acces point) dedicated to the bulbs. but more to make it easier to controll them. a wifi radio can have 127 devices connected to it. so your not gonna run in to a lot of problems there.  for data my longest running Xiaomi Yeelight has used arround 100MB in a year.

and offcourse keep them in a different network. i have my iot devices in a different Vlan, that is closed down with my Home automation server on the main Vlan and the iot Vlan

5 hours ago, djneo said:

i rather have a hub (or acces point) dedicated to the bulbs. but more to make it easier to controll them. a wifi radio can have 127 devices connected to it. so your not gonna run in to a lot of problems there.  for data my longest running Xiaomi Yeelight has used arround 100MB in a year.

and offcourse keep them in a different network. i have my iot devices in a different Vlan, that is closed down with my Home automation server on the main Vlan and the iot Vlan

I think I'm going to go with Hue! Turns out its not a bad price in comparison either.

4 minutes ago, Ampix0 said:

I think I'm going to go with Hue! Turns out its not a bad price in comparison either.

from what i have read the hue bridge is supposed to be very good but many people use it with osram lightify/smart+ bulbs because theyre supposed to be better than the philips ones

for me im way more interested in getting a smart thermostat right now than bulbs but yeah as long as you stay withing the same standard you should be fine so if you go with hue than stay with zigbee devices and itll be fine

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

1 minute ago, cluelessgenius said:

from what i have read the hue bridge is supposed to be very good but many people use it with osram lightify/smart+ bulbs because theyre supposed to be better than the philips ones

for me im way more interested in getting a smart thermostat right now than bulbs but yeah as long as you stay withing the same standard you should be fine so if you go with hue than stay with zigbee devices and itll be fine

Can you control any zigbee device from the Hue app? Does this only work with dimming/on/off? Im mostly interested in the white ambiance bulbs from hue. 

Just now, Ampix0 said:

Can you control any zigbee device from the Hue app? Does this only work with dimming/on/off? Im mostly interested in the white ambiance bulbs from hue. 

well no philips has to implement the support. so theoretically yes but in practice not all devices offer 100 % functionality across bridges

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

56 minutes ago, Ampix0 said:

i like the hue bulbs the most. the app and eco system is really nice. and i like the colors.