My PC Games cap out at 60FPS, can't figure out how to increase the limit

likwidsolutions

I've got a Ryzen 1600X w/ Corsair Vengeance LPX (3000MhZ), and an Asus Strix 1080, but nearly every game with a few exceptions caps out at 60 FPS (most games @ 1440p on Ultra). I don't think it's hardware limitations simply because no matter what settings I use (dropping to 1080p, or moving from Ultra to Mid-High settings), still tops out at 60fps. I opened my NVIDIA Control panel to make sure my refresh rate is set right (While my Monitor is 144Hz, I have it set to 90Hz because most games I don't need or it wouldn't hit above 90 anyways). It's just a little frustrating to see the game cap at 60 when it's obvious it can go above that, or so I assume because the framerate is usually a stable 60. 

Some of the games I've tried:

Metal Gear Solid V Phantom Pain

Bioshock 1/2 Remastered

Skyrim w/ a fair amount of mods

Tomb Raider

Crysis 1/2/3

Occasionally I'll drop below 60 depending on the environment and whatnot, but I never see it go above 60. On the other hand, some of the games I've tried do cap out at the 90fps it should but they tend to be less intensive games graphically, like Portal 1/2, or indie titles that aren't using a ton of resources.

I also made sure to check the game settings to see if there was a limit set within the game, but MGSV for example lets you choose between 30fps or Auto fps, and other games it either doesn't have the option or it's a similar setting.

Is there something in the settings for my GPU that might be keeping some games capped at 60? 

Turn off V-sync in game settings and nvidia control panel

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

Just now, 8uhbbhu8 said:

Turn off V-sync in game settings and nvidia control panel

Thanks I'll try that. Can you explain what exactly V-Sync is? Isn't it supposed to be a software-based variable refresh rate as opposed to G-Sync or Freesync?

1 minute ago, likwidsolutions said:

Thanks I'll try that. Can you explain what exactly V-Sync is? Isn't it supposed to be a software-based variable refresh rate as opposed to G-Sync or Freesync?

It Locks the fps to 60 so that you don't have screen tearing.

V-sync is static refresh rate limiting, it's not variable at all. It tries to limit your frames from going over your monitor refresh rate, or some division of it - most games are probably driving your display at 60hz - and so with it enabled you "override" adaptive sync and get none of the benefits of it.

If, like most people, you had a 60hz monitor, tearing would look horrible.  That's what V-Sync is for. Here's an example:

1200px-Tearing_(simulated).jpg

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

Just now, JoostinOnline said:

Did you turn it off IN-GAME too?

I turned it off in game. Is it also in the NVIDIA control panel?

Just now, likwidsolutions said:

I turned it off in game. Is it also in the NVIDIA control panel?

Yes.

Screenshot us a copy of your control panel and one of the game settings.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

5 minutes ago, likwidsolutions said:

nvcplui_2017-11-19_20-34-50.png

Metal Gear Solid V  The Phantom Pain Screenshot 2017.11.19 - 20.36.32.59.png

Metal Gear Solid V  The Phantom Pain Screenshot 2017.11.19 - 20.37.18.69.png

Might be a dumb question but did you restart your computer/game after you turned it off?

Just now, SoreRaito said:

Might be a dumb question but did you restart your computer/game after you turned it off?

Restarted the game not the comp. I'll try that really quickly.

1 minute ago, likwidsolutions said:

Restarted the game not the comp. I'll try that really quickly.

Before you start the game check if VSync is still turned of in the Nvidia software

8 minutes ago, SoreRaito said:

Before you start the game check if VSync is still turned of in the Nvidia software

So I restarted the computer, rechecked NVIDIA settings and made sure the game had the same settings as before (1080p and V-Sync off), still same results lol. driving me nuts. I don't need 60+ fps but it's just the fact I can't figure it out.

Thanks for the help but I'm calling it a night. Any other suggestions would be appreciated, I'll prob check back in the morning and try again.

Change the framerate from auto to something else (probably unlimited).  You also should switch the resolution to 1440p.

15 minutes ago, likwidsolutions said:

Thanks for the help but I'm calling it a night. Any other suggestions would be appreciated, I'll prob check back in the morning and try again.

4 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Change the framerate from auto to something else (probably unlimited).  You also should switch the resolution to 1440p.

Do as JoostinOnline said and change it to unlimited or the max you can get there.

Just now, Dogeystyle said:

This might be really basic, but what specific display cable are you using from GPU to monitor? 

I didn't even think of this. If you're using HDMI, you need to switch to dual DVI or DisplayPort.

11 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

I didn't even think of this. If you're using HDMI, you need to switch to dual DVI or DisplayPort.

DVI-D nor HDMI won't do 1440p/144Hz, it has to be Displayport.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2017 at 9:23 PM, JoostinOnline said:

Thanks for the advice but I was aware of that. Using DisplayPort to MiniDP

lol idk what the issue is. I've followed all the tips and knowledge I have and can't seem to hit above 60 or 90 (with certain games). And it's not lack of GPU power because I tried lowering the specs (mid settings on 720p) just to see, still the same fps.

• Make sure Vsync is off.
  • Use Fullscreen (not windowed or borderless).
  • Make sure any GPU software isn't setting a framerate target.
  • Set Nvidia control panel settings to their defaults (factory restore)

Skyrim is locked at 60 Hz because the physics engine runs at 60 Hz and it has to sync with the displayed frame.  I'm unsure if there is a way around this.