My PC Games cap out at 60FPS, can't figure out how to increase the limit

likwidsolutions
On 11/19/2017 at 5:17 PM, likwidsolutions said:

Metal Gear Solid V Phantom Pain

Bioshock 1/2 Remastered

Skyrim w/ a fair amount of mods

Tomb Raider

Crysis 1/2/3

MGSV is capped at 60 FPS. There's a mod to unlock it.

Bioshock is capped at 60 FPS due to the physics engine. You can get a mod to increase this to 144 FPS at https://github.com/TurtleHx/Bioshock-Physics-Unlocker (This is for the vanilla game... I'm not sure if it'll work on the remaster)

Skyrim is in the same boat. I'm sure there's a way to unlock it.

Tomb Raider doesn't appear to be capped, so it's probably a settings thing

Crysis is also not capped, so it's probably a settings thing. Also Crysis 1 is poorly designed so don't expect it to run all that fast despite being a 10 year old game.

VSync is still turned of in the Nvidia software and would like to activate it.

22 hours ago, ShredBird said:
  • Make sure Vsync is off.
  • Use Fullscreen (not windowed or borderless).
  • Make sure any GPU software isn't setting a framerate target.
  • Set Nvidia control panel settings to their defaults (factory restore)

Skyrim is locked at 60 Hz because the physics engine runs at 60 Hz and it has to sync with the displayed frame.  I'm unsure if there is a way around this.

I was just about to say to make sure he is using Fullscreen and not windowed

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/6/2017 at 6:51 PM, M.Yurizaki said:

MGSV is capped at 60 FPS. There's a mod to unlock it.

Bioshock is capped at 60 FPS due to the physics engine. You can get a mod to increase this to 144 FPS at https://github.com/TurtleHx/Bioshock-Physics-Unlocker (This is for the vanilla game... I'm not sure if it'll work on the remaster)

Skyrim is in the same boat. I'm sure there's a way to unlock it.

Tomb Raider doesn't appear to be capped, so it's probably a settings thing

Crysis is also not capped, so it's probably a settings thing. Also Crysis 1 is poorly designed so don't expect it to run all that fast despite being a 10 year old game.

On 12/7/2017 at 12:26 PM, Ballien2 said:

I was just about to say to make sure he is using Fullscreen and not windowed

Thans for the info. I was using Fullscreen, but it's most likely due to the majority of these games running at 60FP\S and being capped. I just never though AAA titles for PC would have a cap given that's a big selling point for having a lot of games on PC. Obviously games that are 2D or use very little resources, a lot of indies games and the like don't need it. It just seems that games like many I mentioned would have a benefit from higher framerates assuming it's not sacrificing visual quality as well. The more you learn...

I did play something recently (can't remember) but the point is I did see higher framerates in the low 100s, so I do know that I probably just had the Vysnc off but wasn't playing the proper games. But now I know it was probably just the specific games I was testing.

18 hours ago, likwidsolutions said:

Thans for the info. I was using Fullscreen, but it's most likely due to the majority of these games running at 60FP\S and being capped. I just never though AAA titles for PC would have a cap given that's a big selling point for having a lot of games on PC. Obviously games that are 2D or use very little resources, a lot of indies games and the like don't need it. It just seems that games like many I mentioned would have a benefit from higher framerates assuming it's not sacrificing visual quality as well. The more you learn...

I did play something recently (can't remember) but the point is I did see higher framerates in the low 100s, so I do know that I probably just had the Vysnc off but wasn't playing the proper games. But now I know it was probably just the specific games I was testing.

Try this (I used for fallout 4 to cap at 60 because it breaks when I push it at 120):

1. Download/open NVIDIA Inspector (link)

2. Click the button to the right of the driver version

3. In the top left in the new window that pops up, click the drop down and choose the game,

4. Look at the sync and refresh section, select frame limiter. 

5. Press the drop down to the right of it and select what frame cap you want (stop scrolling once you get to *C lol), DON'T use the frame limiter V2 options.

Hope this helps.

Watercooling Pro & Keyboard Enthusiast!

On 12/20/2017 at 7:46 AM, Tech22 said:

Try this (I used for fallout 4 to cap at 60 because it breaks when I push it at 120):

1. Download/open NVIDIA Inspector (link)

2. Click the button to the right of the driver version

3. In the top left in the new window that pops up, click the drop down and choose the game,

4. Look at the sync and refresh section, select frame limiter. 

5. Press the drop down to the right of it and select what frame cap you want (stop scrolling once you get to *C lol), DON'T use the frame limiter V2 options.

Hope this helps.

Thanks again, but maybe I didn't clarify...I actually did get it working. Or at least some games (wasn't aware some games were capped). But good to know other ways of diagnosing issues like this so it's still useful info.