A friends r7 1700 setup pauses (hiccups) all the time.

t33to

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/76YxCy

That's his build.

His machine NEVER crashes. What will happen is that it will lock up periodically for 5-10 seconds and go completely unresponsive (screen stays on, no crash etc) and then recover. There is no error message reported from the system tray or dialogue of any sort, it's as if the OS doesn't even realize what just happened. He's on Windows 7, is that part of the issue? Has anyone else experienced something like this? We both figured it had something to do with his motherboard and Gigabyte was contacted and they were willing to repair or replace it. I'm not sure if that means they are admitting responsibility for it not, but he couldn't handle going up to 3 months with our a motherboard so he never sent it back in.

Ideas?

Run a memory test and a SSD/HDD test?

Intel i7 6700k|Asus Maximus VIII Hero|Asus Strix 1080|Gskill DDR4 3200|950 Pro M.2|Corsair RM750|Corsair OBSIDIAN 500D|Corsair K65\G65|SteelSeries Arctis 5|Asus PB277Q|PG279Q

My first concern would be the storage subsystem like @Vigilante505 said. 

Have you had a chance to see if there are any event log entries that might shed some light on these hiccups? 

23 minutes ago, t33to said:

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/76YxCy

That's his build.

His machine NEVER crashes. What will happen is that it will lock up periodically for 5-10 seconds and go completely unresponsive (screen stays on, no crash etc) and then recover. There is no error message reported from the system tray or dialogue of any sort, it's as if the OS doesn't even realize what just happened. He's on Windows 7, is that part of the issue? Has anyone else experienced something like this? We both figured it had something to do with his motherboard and Gigabyte was contacted and they were willing to repair or replace it. I'm not sure if that means they are admitting responsibility for it not, but he couldn't handle going up to 3 months with our a motherboard so he never sent it back in.

Ideas?

That sounds like VRMs getting too hot to me.

Is the CPU overclocked? If so, turn the OC off. That board doesn't have the power delivery for an 8 core.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

1 minute ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

That sounds like VRMs getting too hot to me.

Is the CPU overclocked? If so, turn the OC off. That board doesn't have the power delivery for an 8 core.

CPU is bone stock. How much power delivery does that board have, and how much does the 1700 require? His VRM is almost guaranteed not hot, this will happen just browsing the web.

7 minutes ago, t33to said:

CPU is bone stock. How much power delivery does that board have, and how much does the 1700 require? His VRM is almost guaranteed not hot, this will happen just browsing the web.

Huh, alright, I was definitely wrong about that then if it's happening at idle.

Can you clear CMOS and leave every UEFI setting completely factory? Bar any settings for the RAM required to boot the system, of course.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Thank you all. When I visit him next I will try all of the suggestions.