[UPDATED] EA in more loot box drama & Community fires back

ItsMitch

UPDATE: https://www.ea.com/games/starwars/battlefront/battlefront-2/news/swbfii-changes-launch

Story coming in from UK news The Guardian EA has been in the news again and rightfully so and has been well and properly slam dunked by the gaming community for its loot boxes and it has now come out the statement EA provided on the /r/StarWarsBattlefront subreddit has achieved infamy for the most downrated comment of all time. 

Star Wars Battlefront 2, the sequel to the popular first-person Star Wars shooter from Electronic Arts (EA), is coming out this week, and fans have begun posting online about how they disagree with the business model of the game, mostly taking to the largest Star Wars Battlefront community on Reddit to voice their thoughts. It follows a monetization scheme that fans believe rewards players who pay real money on top of the game's base price for loot boxes, with much of the game unlocked behind either real-money payments or a large time investment.

It also came out that the review copies of STWB2 came with lower-priced items than the original copies on Origin  (https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBattlefront/comments/7cmlod/battlefront_2s_review_copies_require_a_lower/

Finally, some of the developers have been receiving death threats with I might add is fucking disgusting as it's not their fault for doing what their bosses say, no matter how much you do you don't send death threats to people, THAT DOESN'T RESOLVE SHIT HUMANS, okay that's out of my system. 

But my own 2 cents are fuck EA and their scumbag ways with loot boxes, let's not send death threats to the developers who get told to do their jobs? Cheers.

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gaming/news/eas-star-wars-battlefront-2-faces-furious-backlash-loot-boxes/)

The locked heroes are more of a concern to me. I'm used to being smacked down in Battlefront, having started a few months ago, and the only guys left are a few noobs, a bunch of pros, and some hackers. So people being able to pay to make it easier to win (IIRC they fixed it so it's not blatantly P2W) isn't a massive problem, though it's still a pain. The real jerk move is locking the heroes behind a credit paywall, and it's bad enough that even SWHQ (who many accuse of being EA sheep, but personally I like their channel and respect the work they did to get where they are) is saying it's unacceptable and needs to be fixed ASAP.

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 minute ago, Zando Bob said:

sniperino

Had a feeling you'd reply here, nice to see some input, friend. 

If we shouldn't kill the devs, who should we kill then in the EA company? Give us guidance @SC2Mitch!!! (also repost, saw this thingy already somewhere on LTT)

Just now, SC2Mitch said:

Had a feeling you'd reply here, nice to see some input, friend. 

Yep. If it has to do with anything Star Wars, I'm sure to say something, or at least snoop around. And I can defo agree with your point about death threats. I mean, c'mon, the dudes are doing their jobs, they aren't evilly concocting plans to steal your money. If anything, gamers should pity the devs who have to work for EA and go along with all this micro-transaction stuff. I'm sure they work their guts out on these games, and probably don't like the way EA handles monetization. If you think about it, the devs are responsible for the awesome graphics, stellar soundscape, great gameplay, dope weapons, etc. It's the EA bosses who are behind all the monetization crap, so make sure to separate them from the minions just doing their best at their job. 

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

EA is a shitty company when it comes to money but for games it is okay.

9 minutes ago, SC2Mitch said:

some of the developers have been receiving death threats

It takes a retarded to think they are responsible for EA BS and if someone is giving them shit and not EA they need to rethink there life.

Overall Okay game, shitty ethics, Good developers, some retarded "Fans".

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

Half of the complaints come from people who haven't played the game or never will. I'm at 25 hours now on the new game having close a 1000 on the previous. The crates really don't make much difference. Skill and tactic will always win out for the main part. I'd prefer if they only had cosmetics though.

Heroes just need to be reduced to 20/30k or double money from each round.

Otherwise. It's a great game. Few bugs and tweaks needed but it a hell of a blast. 

Retried Battlefield Moderator EA Star Wars Battlefront Senior Moderator  Battlefield Moderator and EA Champion

Just now, Dutch-stoner said:

If we shouldn't kill the devs, who should we kill then in the EA company? Give us guidance @SC2Mitch!!! (also repost, saw this thingy already somewhere on LTT)

Uummm... see my above post about how the devs, I'm sure, have nothing to do with the monetization schemes (they just make what they're told to, and do a damn good job). Track down whoever the monetization team is in EA HQ and take them out if you want to. But let the devs be. 

Main PC 

That's why I was asking @Zando Bob. :P

1 minute ago, Zando Bob said:

Uummm... see my above post about how the devs, I'm sure, have nothing to do with the monetization schemes (they just make what they're told to, and do a damn good job

And what I said.

1 minute ago, IronSoldier said:

Half of the complaints come from people who haven't played the game or never will. I'm at 25 hours now on the new game having close a 1000 on the previous. The crates really don't make much difference. Skill and tactic will always win out in terms of making noobs powerful. I'd prefer if they only had cosmetics though.

Heroes just need to be reduced to 20/30k or double money from each round.

Otherwise. It's a great game. Few bugs and tweaks needed but it a hell of a blast. 

This ^ and case in point, I was playing my little brothers last night (they're total noobs) and even with them playing on my main account, with all my good guns, vs me with an A280C or E-11 (my alt account they use is at level 1, since I just set it up), I still wasted them (oh, and the keyboard and mouse on my secondary aren't as nice or familiar to me as my main rig). The point is, like you said, skill always wins. Have the best gear, best star cards, whatever. A good player with a basic gun will still beat you. 

Main PC 

how many more star wars book do  i have to read till there is a good, bullshit free game to enjoy?

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

2 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

how many more star wars book do  i have to read till there is a good, bullshit free game to enjoy?

All of them. 

Main PC 

50 minutes ago, SC2Mitch said:

It also came out that the review copies of STWB2 came with lower-priced items than the original copies on steam  

Game is on Origin not Steam.

I don't read the reply to my posts anymore so don't bother.

Just now, ApolloFury said:

Game is on Origin not Steam.

My apologizes, forgot!

-368K... Holy shit that's more than an order of magnitude larger than the previous most downvoted comment on Reddit (24.3K). And in less than 24 hours. I mean, I'm just impressed at this point.

EDIT: also has more downvotes than the most upvoted post in Reddit history has upvotes (349K)... amazing.

chief aspect is .. They get away with XXXX cause you pay for XXXX..  Stop paying for it, Its quite literally that simple.

3 minutes ago, SC2Mitch said:

My apologizes, forgot!

I do wish it was on Steam because its rating would tank immediately on launch day and people would avoid it like the plague despite the usual glowing reviews from media outlets.

I don't read the reply to my posts anymore so don't bother.

Just now, ApolloFury said:

I do wish it was on Steam because its rating would tank and people would avoid it like the plague despite the usual glowing reviews from media outlets.

I wish the same, STBF2 (Classic) is allowed on steam although, pretty disappointing but I agree, the reviews would drop through the floor. 

4 minutes ago, TimeOmnivore said:

-368K... Holy shit that's more than an order of magnitude larger than the previous most downvoted comment on Reddit (24.3K). And in less than 24 hours. I mean, I'm just impressed at this point.

It will have more downvotes than the highest upvoted post has upvotes which ironically is this one. So fitting.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

how about we just dont buy the crap EA makes, makes sense to me

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

17 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

how about we just dont buy the crap EA makes, makes sense to me

But... DICE did make a great game, just EA ruined it with micro transactions. So Imma compromise and wait for it to be on sale, then get it. 

Main PC 

Honestly, I don't get it.

It is fine to express how unhappy you are. But if it bugs you this much that you need to say death threads, let alone say insults (which are usually said to the devs and not the people responsible, like if it was devs fault), then here an idea: don't buy the game, or don't buy these loot crates.

EA does it, because they tested the waters, and they saw that people playing this style of games are open to the idea, and willing to spend money on this. If it brings the company millions, then this highlights that the majority of players are fine with it.

Sure it sucks that, if you choose to not buy the game, you don't get to play it... but so what. You decided to take a stance. This is like doing a hunger strike, and complain that you are hungry.... you decided to do it to take a stand!

EA made 800 million out of FIFA ultimate team alone. MT are here to stay and it'll will be for the long run and we have only you apologist to thank for that, you who went:

"well it's optional"

THANK YOU! you who went:

"As long as it's just cosmetics i don't mind"

THANK YOU! you who went:

"I'll still buy the game but won't touch the MT, not with a 10 meter pole, nope, nope, nope"

and then proceeded to buy MT anyway: THANK YOU!

Thanks to all of you! 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

4 hours ago, TimeOmnivore said:

EDIT: also has more downvotes than the most upvoted post in Reddit history has upvotes (349K)... amazing.

Now 456K...

The graph of this would be hilarious!

EDIT: Now 458K, in less than 2 minutes.