90°C and above for i7-7700k without load

dontstalkme

it was suppose to be a fine day and my computer’s suppose to be fine too.. so apparently i woke up and started my computer then it rose to 90+ degree after booting into home screen. constantly hovering around the 90+ range with less than 5% load. i restarted and took a look at the BIOS where it ALSO shows 90+ degree. the night before this happen, nothing has been done to any software or settings. i thought it might be due to the thermal paste as i had been using the stock paste on the kraken x52. i went ahead and got a Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut to apply. the problem PERSISTED.

problem rig:
i7-7700k + asus z270f

nzxt kraken x52
gskill tridentz 3000mhz 16gb
samsung 960evo 512gb
zotac gtx1070 amp core
seasonic platinum 760w

bro’s no problem rig:
pentium g4560 + msi z270m mortar

stock intel cooler
corsair vengeance 2800mhz 8gb 
ocz tl100
asus strix rx570
seasonic m12ii 620w/750w

i did a swap to look for the root of the problem. i swapped the pentium over to my rig and the i7-7700k to his rig. the temperatures were normal. the i7-7700k were doing around 50 degree with the stock intel cooler whereas the pentium were doing around 50 degree too. 

is there any thing else i could try to get the problem fixed? :((( 

I think you might have a defective AIO on your hands...

System

• CPU
    I7 6700K Overclocked to 4.6 GHz at 1.33v
  • Motherboard
    Asus Z270 PRIME - A
  • RAM
    GSKILL RIPJAWS V DDR4 16GB 3000MHZ
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 GAMING X 8G overclocked to 2063 MHZ and 8900 MHZ memory clock
  • Case
    NZXT S340 RED
  • Storage
    WD 1TB BLUE AND SAMSUNG EVO 250GB SSD
  • PSU
    EVGA 650W GQ
  • Display(s)
    LG 25UM58-P ULTRAWIDE and LG 29UM58-P 29 ULTRAWIDE
  • Cooling
    CORSAIR H100I GTX
  • Keyboard
    CORSAIR K70
  • Mouse
    LOGITECH G502 PROTEUS SPECTRUM
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 PRO
  •  
  •  

AIO is dead. I just had to send my Kraken x52 back as I had 90-100c at idle. Replaced it with an H100i which works fine. This is apparently a common issue with Kraken Coolers. As @Armakar said on my post the other day, do your self a favor and get any AIO that isn't from NZXT. He had multiple kraken coolers which were all faulty

PC Specs:

CPU: Intel i9 12900K

CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H150i Elite Capellix

Mother Board: MSI z690 carbon WiFi

RAM: TeamSport Elite DDR5 2x16 4800mhz

Storage: 2TB Samsung 970 Plus NVMe, 240 SanDisk SSD Plus, Crucial MX300 750GB SSD

GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1080 

Case: Corsair Crystal 460X

PSU: Cosrair RM850X 80+ Gold

Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU 27" 1440p @ 165hz

Keyboard: Razer Black Widow Chroma

Mouse: Logitech G502

Sound: Sony MDR 1000x Headphones, Blue Snowball Microphone

Laptop Specs:

Gigabyte Aorus 15G

CPU: Intel i7 10875H

RAM: 16gb DDR4

Storage: 512gb NVMe, 1TB Crucial MX300 SATA SSD

GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070 Max-Q

8 minutes ago, A Silver said:

get any AIO that isn't from NZXT

NZXT coolers are from Asetek, just like pretty much any AiO. Might be a problem with the 5th gen pumps in the Krakens, most other coolers use 4th and 4,5th gen pumps. 

:)

13 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Is the AiO pump running?

How is the CPU voltage?

i wouldn’t want to keep the PC running for too long but i still got some info. the CPU voltage is kind of low and not overclocked yet. However i just notice that the AiO pump RPM is zero. Could it be due to the AiO pump? but my bro’s cpu is able to keep around 63 degree celsius in my rig though ..

DAD58206-914B-4C18-BCB5-0572A166A3BE.jpeg

B8FF6362-9F9A-4262-ABE7-08395471BEA8.jpeg

Yeah, that 0 pump RPM could be problematic lol.

I have an NZXT AIO and I have never had in issue in the ~18 months I have been running it. They aren't bad, but the new pretty ones are over priced.  I'd probably go with corsair if I were buying one now.  

3 minutes ago, dontstalkme said:

However i just notice that the AiO pump RPM is zero. Could it be due to the AiO pump? but my bro’s cpu is able to keep around 63 degree celsius in my rig though ..

Put some load on it and the pentium will also rise the TDP of that CPU is just a lot lower (i think something like 50W compared to 91W from the 7700k) so it takes some time but will also heat up. Send this AIO back and get yourself a nice high end Air Cooler instead you wont have to worry again that Pump fails or you have a leak that probably destroys your whole system.  I simply don`t see any benefit from an AIO compared to a good Air cooler you only add points  of failure to your system and even pay more overall. 

18 hours ago, A Silver said:

AIO is dead. I just had to send my Kraken x52 back as I had 90-100c at idle. Replaced it with an H100i which works fine. This is apparently a common issue with Kraken Coolers. As @Armakar said on my post the other day, do your self a favor and get any AIO that isn't from NZXT. He had multiple kraken coolers which were all faulty

+1.. I should also add, my three kraken X62's were all dead within a week.. 1 DOA, 1 dead in a day, 1 dead in 2-3 days. Utter garbage - get Corsair or EVGA.

Main Rig

CPU: Ryzen 2700X 
Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO RGB 360mm Liquid Cooler
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
RAM: 16GB (2x8) Trident Z RGB 3200MHZ
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO NVME SSD 1TB, Intel 1TB NVME

Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti OC

Case: Phanteks Evolv X
Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Platinum-Rated

Radiator Fans: 3x Corsair ML120
Case Fans: 4x be quiet! Silent Wings 3

H115i used in my 7700K build with no issues OC to 4.8ghz @ 1.280v runs 65c on prime or 65-75c if prime and heaven both running together with fans set at 800rpm-1400rpm

I7 7700K @5.0ghz, Asus Z270-P, Corsair H115i, hyperX 16gb, Asus duel 1070, Nzxt H440

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/ZTsYD8

guys ... i went to exchange the cooler and it still has the same issue.. 

Just now, dontstalkme said:

guys ... i went to exchange the cooler and it still has the same issue.. 

what voltage are you pumping through your CPU?

does the software still show 0 on the pump RPM? if so try it on another header on your mobo

Intel Xeon X5650 OC'd to 4Ghz  Sapphire R9 290 Vapor X 4GB  |  Vengeance® K70 & M65  W10 Pro

the cpu voltage is as usual, not even overclocked. and right now i can’t even really get the the home screen. but the first time it started, i managed to get into the CAM software and it shows 4500+ RPM where is should only be 1600-2800 rpm with +/- 300. and also, there’s like a flushing sound from the cpu cooler block itself...

so apparently, the problem with the rma-ed x52 is also another faulty pump LOL