Is Ryzen 5 1600 a good choice for 2017?

NORSMEN

Hi guys,

I'm looking to upgrade my CPU, and I heard that Ryzen 5 1600 was a good choice for an upgrade. I thought I would come here and get a second thought about it because I'm not sure how it holds up against coffee lake, and other new CPU now days.  You guys think it's a good choice for the money?  Or should I wait for something like a coffee lake?

Hope to here from yall! ^^ 

It was released in this year and just few months ago so....

Ryzen is perfectly fine for gaming and productivity and home servers because of ECC support, unless you NEED to have stable 120FPS+ on high Hz monitor, in which case you should pick Cofee Lake.

1 minute ago, NORSMEN said:

Hi guys,

I'm looking to upgrade my CPU, and I heard that Ryzen 5 1600 was a good choice for an upgrade. I thought I would come here and get a second thought about it because I'm not sure how it holds up against coffee lake, and other new CPU now days.  You guys think it's a good choice for the money?  Or should I wait for something like a coffee lake?

Hope to here from yall! ^^ 

I currently have a ryzen 1600 overclocked to 3.8 ghz on the stock fan, and it runs great and the temps are fine. As far as I am concerned, it is the best bang for your buck.

The 1600 is like the 4690k of this year.

Right about when the last AM4 CPUs come out in 2020, you can upgrade and get 3 more years of good performance. Not the best comparison on the second part (Intel don't support sockets for that long :/ ).

CPU R7 1700    Motherboard Asus Prime X370 Pro  RAM  24GB Corsair LPX 3000 (at 2933Mhz)    GPU EVGA GTX1070 SC  Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M    

Storage 1 x 1TB m.2, 1x 500GB SSD, 1x 1TB HDD, 1x 8TB HDD  PSU Corsair RM1000  Cooling Thermalright Macho Rev B (tower)

Synology NAS 1 x 4TB 1 x 8TB

CoffeeLake is a better value all around, but motherboards and availability are a concern. 

idk

19 minutes ago, FIXXX said:

The 1600 is like the 4690k of this year.

Right about when the last AM4 CPUs come out in 2020, you can upgrade and get 3 more years of good performance. Not the best comparison on the second part (Intel don't support sockets for that long :/ ).

That makes no sense 4690K was one of the last processors for LGA1150

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

20 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

CoffeeLake is a better value all around, but motherboards and availability are a concern. 

Definitely not, less multi-threaded performance for the most part, though the i5 8400 will be faster in most games. but at that point it's like 100fps for Ryzen 120fps for intel at 1080p

Plus with Ryzen you can get by on a $75 motherboard if you slap a fan on the VRM when doing overclocking.

45 minutes ago, NORSMEN said:

What budget? location? What are you using it for? Monitor Resolution/Refresh rate and GPU?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

28 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

No, it's better performance, ryzen tends to win in the value department, in part due to cheaper mobos, and also because every ryzen chip can overclock

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

4 hours ago, Cyracus said:

No, it's better performance, ryzen tends to win in the value department, in part due to cheaper mobos, and also because every ryzen chip can overclock

Even with OC in the equation even the 8400 still wins in gaming and is just behind in productivity. Mobos will go down in price with B360/70. 

5 hours ago, Streetguru said:

Definitely not, less multi-threaded performance for the most part, though the i5 8400 will be faster in most games. but at that point it's like 100fps for Ryzen 120fps for intel at 1080p

Plus with Ryzen you can get by on a $75 motherboard if you slap a fan on the VRM when doing overclocking.

What budget? location? What are you using it for? Monitor Resolution/Refresh rate and GPU?

8400 is literally just behind the 1600X in productivity tasks according to computerbase benchmarks. 8400 = 7700K in games, which if you have Zen with 3600Mhz and the compass turned to North and you've summoned Lisa Su, you may be able to beat. 

idk

5 hours ago, RadiatingLight said:

That makes no sense 4690K was one of the last processors for LGA1150

I meant more in a general way - a few years ago the 4690k was the mainstay for quite a while in its line. The same way the 1600 is in the ryzen line.

CPU R7 1700    Motherboard Asus Prime X370 Pro  RAM  24GB Corsair LPX 3000 (at 2933Mhz)    GPU EVGA GTX1070 SC  Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M    

Storage 1 x 1TB m.2, 1x 500GB SSD, 1x 1TB HDD, 1x 8TB HDD  PSU Corsair RM1000  Cooling Thermalright Macho Rev B (tower)

Synology NAS 1 x 4TB 1 x 8TB

you might as well save a little more $ and get 8600k when in stock

5 hours ago, Droidbot said:

8400 is literally just behind the 1600X in productivity tasks according to computerbase benchmarks.

Isn't that going to be more if all cores/threads aren't being used in X Software? A quick look a cinebench puts them about equal on single thread performance(160cb) and the R5 ahead in multithread, because that's totally 100% accurate...

3 hours ago, IamODIN said:

you might as well save a little more $ and get 8600k when in stock

I don't ever see the 8600K being worth it over the i7 8700, especially when B and H chipset boards are out to make up that small price gap.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Unless my intention is to build a budget content creation machine, I would not buy Ryzen right now.

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

It all depends on what's it for, and budget.

If you're gaming +/- some content creation and you're not anal with getting maximum fps even when they're high to begin with , and on a budget, its most def ryzen, not even open for debate...

If you have a big budget and/or play with a high refresh rate monitor and can't sleep at night if you get 110 fps instead of 122, go with coffee lake. Its as easy as that. 

13 minutes ago, Binder said:

It all depends on what's it for, and budget.

If you're gaming +/- some content creation and you're not anal with getting maximum fps even when they're high to begin with , and on a budget, its most def ryzen, not even open for debate...

If you have a big budget and/or play with a high refresh rate monitor and can't sleep at night if you get 110 fps instead of 122, go with coffee lake. Its as easy as that. 

Not particularly.

For programs like Photoshop, even the 8400 comes out on top. And it doesn't require much of an extra budget to get higher performance in games for the average joe, which is good.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jvWdcc - $351 for Zen

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKtncc - $365 for CFL (not incl. cooler)

and yet even the lowly 8400 manages to beat all the Zen chips and the 7700K in gaming performance and come close in productivity.

8 hours ago, Streetguru said:

Isn't that going to be more if all cores/threads aren't being used in X Software? A quick look a cinebench puts them about equal on single thread performance(160cb) and the R5 ahead in multithread, because that's totally 100% accurate...

I don't ever see the 8600K being worth it over the i7 8700, especially when B and H chipset boards are out to make up that small price gap.

Not all productivity applications use all cores. They are like modern video games.

This is why even with a thread deficit, the 8400 is still a good value, imo more than Ryzen when the boards go down in price.

And maybe Intel will price drop to put the final nail in the coffin. We'll see.

https://www.computerbase.de/2017-10/intel-coffee-lake-8700k-8400-8350k-8100-test/4/

It's in German, but you get the point.

idk

Part of the budget umbrella also covers upgradability, and other features/peripherals. with an am4 board giving you both oc ability + future proofing till 2020 with an ability to get amds best CPU without replacing the socket for as little as 65-70$ + the fact the zen stock cooler is awesome for anything but the highest clock speeds when ocing, you're looking at a big short and long term financial difference (of course its relative...for me a 150$ difference for example is a lot of money). Plus, with all that, despite the Photoshop example, ryzen is still the better productivity CPU... I really think that if budget is an issue and he's gaming like the "average Joe" coffee lake is a bad investment. 

Take that money and upgrade your GPU, youll get much more for what you save.

Average person doesn't OC. It's simple as that. Even when at 3.6-3.7Ghz (which is probably what you'll hit with a 1600 and stock cooler) the Zen fails to keep up, leaving only upgrades as its strong suit. 

idk

But that's the beauty of ryzen, pretty much everyone can oc with the "stock" equipment , and that's awesome , and a great feature, so why wouldn't you? 

Also, personally , I think upgradability is an extremely important feature when assesing a purchase ,but that's a subjective matter of course. I honestly think ryzen is just so much better in the all around price per performance , that if budget is an issue, its borderline stupid to buy coffee lake right now. 

If he's not limited by budget, and a serious gamer which play at very high fps, than by all means, coffee lake is def the better choice. 

The beauty of Coffee Lake is that it's faster.

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

18 hours ago, Streetguru said:

b and h boards isnt out for coffelake yet FYI :)

OP, just do me a favor, if you decide to go with coffee lake, go with i7 (no doubt its a beast) , not i5... Do not go with 6 threads, its stupid if you're looking at some form of future proofing. They'll be good for now, next year,  2 tops,  but if you're smart, and you see where gaming is going, at least if youll decide to go with coffee lake and can afford it, take an i7 for the 12 threads, otherwise , go ryzen. 

i'd rather have the i5-8400

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

If you don't mind paying for a non-oc CPU which will probably be borderline irrelevant within two years for high-ultra performance in modern titles, be my guest.. Each one with his own considerations. Regarding i7, if you can pay for it, sure, but i5 is kind of a dumb choice in the long run considering the other options out there. 

I'll just put it here...