NVIDIA skipping Volta for gamers? Ampere might be next!

Bananasplit_00
On 11/11/2017 at 10:51 PM, Zodiark1593 said:

I'd like to see a Curie architecture in there too...

I'd like to see Einstein for a new even higher tier compute card. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

9 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

I'd like to see Einstein for a new even higher tier compute card. 

Not sure I'd want a compute card that only gives me relative computation results.

Spoiler

Sorry best I could come up with ;).

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Not sure I'd want a compute card that only gives me relative computation results.

Reveal hidden contents

Sorry best I could come up with ;).

It's even worse when the results are theoretical.

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

Ernest Rutherford would be my vote, not at all biased :)

Knowing Nvidia they'll choose Bernoulli. Since there were something like 16 of them, you cannot choose better to confuse everyone with the naming scheme ;)

As a scientist myself, I would much prefer if they stayed away from Einstein... As far away as possible.  

Good lord people, yes incredibly important... But sooo disproportionately famous in the media.

In no particular order people I'd rather see first: (non-exaustive)

Carnot

Rankine

Brayton 

Becquerel

Curie

Röntgen

Lorentz

Boltzmann

Dirac 

Yukawa

Meitner 

Gauss 

Mendelev

Musa al-Khwarizmi

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

4 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Röntgen

now this would be interesting to see xD 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

6 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

As a nuclear engineer myself, I would much prefer if they stayed away from Einstein... As far away as possible.  

Good lord people, yes incredibly important... But sooo disproportionately famous in the media.

In no particular order people I'd rather see first: (non-exaustive)

Carnot

Rankine

Brayton 

Becquerel

Curie

Röntgen

Lorentz

Boltzmann

Dirac 

Yukawa

Meitner 

Gauss 

Mendelev

Musa al-Khwarizmi

But where would nuclear physics be without Rutherford :)

29 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

You forgot Nvidia Perelman, the award winning arch which flees into the forest!

More seriously, it would be fun to have a ranking edition for sub zero cooling on the graphics card

If they just released this to the public, whether AMD could beat it or not.
Would allow for a huge leap forward in graphics performance.

While I do imagine manufacturing prices for those are sky high (or profit margin is sky high)

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*

On 11/11/2017 at 10:57 PM, laminutederire said:

Please don't say that... they'll give us green leds everywhere for the spooky radioactive effect with such a name! 

Except of course that radiation is usually blue, not green (except in the Simpsons).

Oh well, sounds like my 970 will be good for while then :D

56 minutes ago, davrosG5 said:

Except of course that radiation is usually blue, not green (except in the Simpsons).

Marketing appeals to the mind of the masses and for masses it is green ;)

58 minutes ago, davrosG5 said:

for 1080p at least. 1440p it struggles for high

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

48 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

for 1080p at least. 1440p it struggles for high

Not for anything I play it doesn't, or not that I've noticed anyway.

On 11/11/2017 at 6:13 PM, laminutederire said:

And the fact that the CEO specifically said they weren't going to release anything until quite a time, because Pascal was "unbeatable".

They said this in reference to This holiday season Though Right? So maybe 1st or 2nd QTR of 2018 they will start announcing Next Gen 

1 hour ago, davrosG5 said:

Not for anything I play it doesn't, or not that I've noticed anyway.

I don't play the most demanding games but my 970 struggled with most titles I play, at least on high or ultra

Builds:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, michaelocarroll007 said:

They said this in reference to This holiday season Though Right? So maybe 1st or 2nd QTR of 2018 they will start announcing Next Gen 

Yeah but I thi k they also they said that because deep down they know Volta would be pointless since it doesn't improve that much what you can have with Pascal, at least for gaming. Therefore you can just skip it and focus resources on the next big thing which will be an improvement over Pascal in a more significant way. Because they know that if they do not provide enough it will disappoint many people!

Does buying something other than GTX10xx make sense for high end gaming today and the following years? Don't think there so much to gain upgrading every generation, maybe before.

Specs

i9 9900K 5.1GHz 0 AVX offset

ASUS MAXIMUS APEX XI

Custom watercooling (360mm, 60mm thicc)

EVGA GTX1080 FTW DT

EVGA T2 1000W Platinum PSU

3200MHz G.Skill RGB B-die

Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 860 EVO 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB

1 minute ago, Klovnious said:

Does buying something other than GTX10xx make sense for high end gaming today and the following years? Don't think there so much to gain upgrading every generation, maybe before.

The 980TI makes sense if you find it used and plan on 1440p

Builds:

Spoiler

15 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

Yeah but I thi k they also they said that because deep down they know Volta would be pointless since it doesn't improve that much what you can have with Pascal, at least for gaming. Therefore you can just skip it and focus resources on the next big thing which will be an improvement over Pascal in a more significant way. Because they know that if they do not provide enough it will disappoint many people!

Yeah i could see them doing it for this reason. But I just want a Next Gen Gaming card could care less what "Architecture"  its called as long as it brings some decent upgrades. I really want to get something above my  4 year old r9 290 and 3 year old GTX970 so every card under $400 isnt really an upgrade at all. and a 1070 is about double but still doesnt reach the 4k 60fps im looking to achieve  and the 1080ti is just way higher of a price. 

Just feels weird that theres not that clear Huge Upgrade over a 4 year old card. Both handle 1080p just fine in todays games but Im itching for an upgrade. i really i guess want 1080TI Performance around 400-550 dollars Hopefully like past generation jumps the 1170 will do just that. 

22 minutes ago, Klovnious said:

Yeah i felt like i Would have to upgrade every year when i got into PC Gaming i got a r9 290 which is 4 years old and its still playing every single Tripple A game on High 

On 11/12/2017 at 3:54 AM, Himommies said:

The fact that Nvidia names their GPU's after dead pepole still bothers me.They should name it after inanimate objects like Vega

Not me

On 11/12/2017 at 4:08 AM, Himommies said:

I would love to see a archeiticture called heisenberg

Rontgen

Wallace(yup the warrior) 

Clarke

JJ thompson

James watt(to easy) 

Oppenheimer

Also for heisenberg they would have to embrace the colour blue

On 11/12/2017 at 4:12 AM, MoonSpot said:

Random?  Which ones were those?

Nikola Tesla

Enrico Fermi

Johannes Kepler

James Clerk Maxwell

Blaise Pascal

Alessandro Volta

On 11/12/2017 at 10:13 AM, VegetableStu said:

Hawking Titan X would sound so badass

Nah it would be too slow, but in the other hand silence enthusiasts would be thrilled

On 11/12/2017 at 1:52 PM, Master Disaster said:

They could do the old AMD trick for the 1100/2000 series...

Titan XP becomes Titan X

Titan Xp becomes 11/2080ti

1080ti becomes 11/2080

1080 becomes 11/2070ti

1070ti becomes 11/2070

And it continues down the chain, a small boost in clock speed and/or something like GPU Boost 4.0 and suddenly Nvidia have a new lineup of cards without devaluing Volta.

As I see it

Titan xp - 2080

Titan x - 2070ti

1080ti-2070

1080/70ti-2060 (higher end) 

1070 - 2060 (lower end variant) 

1060 6gb  - 2050 ti

1060 3gb - 2050

1050ti - 2030 (ti?) 

1050 - 2030

On 11/12/2017 at 2:20 PM, Master Disaster said:

Oh 100% agreed, look what happened to Intel when they had no competition. They sat on ass for so long that when the competition came back they weren't ready for it. 

I'm not exactly au fais with compute stuff but it's my understanding that CUDA pretty much has dominance over OpenCL and that Nvidia products are almost a requirement in that sector so I don't think Nvidia really care if they're competing against themselves, heck they released 2 Titan cards into the consumer market with only a few months between them. Ultimately as long as Mr Joe Customer buys Nvidia they don't care which SKU.

Ignoring the Titan cards (which Nvidia say are not gaming cards anyway) Nvidia haven't been so far ahead at the top in a long time either and Vega was supposed to be AMDs answer to 1080ti. It failed. A good business is able to react to current trends and base decisions on what's currently happening in the market. Is now the right time for Nvidia to release a new architecture?

Vega ultimately failed in its goal

RTG just lost their lead Engineer

Intel are trying to make GPUs

Intel & AMD just teamed up to try and take some market share in the mid range laptop sector

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if we didn't see a reversal of Nvidias usual tactics where they release Small Volta first this time around and try to hold onto the mid range market that Intel & AMD are trying to take. We know Big Volta is ready so it's not beyond the realm of possibility that they hold onto big for a while longer and release small first.

G they would start with a new titan x

And launch 2080 /70/60 down the road

8 hours ago, laminutederire said:

Knowing Nvidia they'll choose Bernoulli. Since there were something like 16 of them, you cannot choose better to confuse everyone with the naming scheme ;)

Here is our new architecture 

Named after a famous figure of mathematics- which one? 

The one who studied fluids - which one? 

6 hours ago, davrosG5 said:

Kryponite

Also the blue needs to be 99.1% pure 

8 hours ago, leadeater said:

But where would nuclear physics be without Rutherford :)

Non-exhaustive list heh.

8 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

now this would be interesting to see xD 

It really would.

8 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

@Curufinwe_wins @leadeater

I'm hoping for Oppenheimer eventually. It'll go out with a bang. :)

They already have Fermi.

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

2 hours ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

It really would.

can you imagine the entire tech world looking for the ö key all the time and failing to pronounce it, it would be cringy as hell and hilarius

Builds:

Spoiler

4 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

can you imagine the entire tech world looking for the ö key all the time and failing to pronounce it, it would be cringy as hell and hilarius

Yeah but in doubt, they can always just use Roentgen.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS