Is this cable hdmi 1.4 or 2.0?

SolidRedIron

I thought I would need to buy a hdmi cable for my pc until I remembered that I have an old hdmi cable in a Sony Bravia of some sort that my family rarely used.  I was considering using it but then I realized that it can be hdmi 1.4, but I want to be cheap and hope that it is hdmi 2.0 but I don't know how to tell the difference.  i can't find the exact model of it online so I wonder if there is a visual difference between the two.  The one I have says SONY on one side and HDMI High Speed/HEC on the other, I have a photo of it, but the lighting isn't great.unnamed.thumb.jpg.32aebc40a014c2a115b141a94e1bcbda.jpg

2 minutes ago, SolidRedIron said:

I thought I would need to buy a hdmi cable for my pc until I remembered that I have an old hdmi cable in a Sony Bravia of some sort that my family rarely used.  I was considering using it but then I realized that it can be hdmi 1.4, but I want to be cheap and hope that it is hdmi 2.0 but I don't know how to tell the difference.  i can't find the exact model of it online so I wonder if there is a visual difference between the two.  The one I have says SONY on one side and HDMI High Speed/HEC on the other, I have a photo of it, but the lighting isn't great.

It's a High Speed HDMI cable, which means it's certified to handle at least 10.2 Gbit/s (max speed allowed by HDMI 1.3–1.4b), but many High Speed cables also work at HDMI 2.0 speeds.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/729232-guide-to-display-cables-adapters-v2/?section=hdmi_cable_versions

There is no difference.

There is no such thing as an HDMI 1.4 or HDMI 2.0 cable.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

28 minutes ago, Enderman said:

There is no difference.

There is no such thing as an HDMI 1.4 or HDMI 2.0 cable.

Are you sure, you mean visually right?

30 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

It's a High Speed HDMI cable, which means it's certified to handle at least 10.2 Gbit/s (max speed allowed by HDMI 1.3–1.4b), but many High Speed cables also work at HDMI 2.0 speeds.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/729232-guide-to-display-cables-adapters-v2/?section=hdmi_cable_versions

So is it able to handle 1440p?

Just now, SolidRedIron said:

Are you sure, you mean visually right?

The thing that determines the HDMI version is the connection at either end, not the cable.

The cable is either high quality and works, or is crap quality and doesn't work.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

It's both. What the input and output support determines what goes through the cable.  It's like how all USB cables support fast charging.  It just depends on the charger and if your phone (or other device) are capable of fast charging.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440