Gender and Racial Diversity in Gaming

Ryujin2003

To be perfectly honest, I don't really care what gender a gamer is. I mean, I'll laugh if someone does anything particularly funny regardless of skill level, they may be a total noob or a seasoned veteran. I try to keep gender, race, and religion out of the way most of the time. Sure, there are games that just have a toxic environment and the voice chat is cancer, but I avoid voice chat unless I"m on a call with a friend and we're playing a co-op game or on a team by ourselves(like the Hunger Games for example).

I personally try to treat everyone equally. Sometimes that doesn't happen, but if someone insults me in the chat relating to my gender or anything I just brush it off and ignore it; I find that if someone can only insult you they're not worth your time. That's just me though and how I behave.

I don't watch many streamers, I'll pop into a Yogscast stream occasionally, I enjoy FalseSymmetry's streams and videos, and I'll watch a few other streamers, but overall I stick to YouTube for gaming content.

So to answer your original question, I feel like female gamers get some hate, it's just different than the rest of the hate we normally see for other gamers that aren't female. Just going by what I've seen, but the objectification seen is just sickening to be honest.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

3 minutes ago, Rupe said:

Given her original comment your questions seem very leading, like there is a conclusion you are aiming for.

I want open feedback. I'm not sure what to ask out how to so it.

My conclusion is to be able to take the research results, media content, etc.. and compare that to what the community says and feels. Maybe take NYT with a grain of salt of they don't honestly represent the community as a whole.

And I'm not trying to stay on streaming at all. I'm more interested in game character development and how race and gender (or lack of) can influence it detract the immersion into a story.

Gaming had a huge influence in my early years, and I wouldn't have come it ok without it. I'm trying to get information so I can feel like I'm giving back a little.

17 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

That was awesome, and we'll said. Thank you.

I agree sbout the toxic environment in a lot of games.

Off the gender thing, does race or religion have any influence in your have choice?

Race is irrelevant to me when choosing characters, mostly I try to make a character than seems interesting. This can include things like making them racist or homophobic(Only in single player games) or making them into a murderer (Usually in single player games). I don't care about the characters race.

The only religion I've come across in games is in Civ V (When the characters introduce themselves) and Skyrim (Daedra/Aedra worship). I liked what they did with Skyrim (talking to the gods) not because it was diversity, but because it made the game more enjoyable. I also liked it as it made the place more realistic, because the place seemed like it had a history, folklore, and mythology. I'd prefer it if the devs focused on making the game enjoyable, rather than diverse.

Hey, I'm a guy and honestly, I do not care about a character nor a person's gender, religion, race or anything like that.

I like to play with fun people. I don't care if someone is model material as long as they act like trash.

Honestly, i rarely hear females talk in games and I get why.

I normally just look for groups that have nice and fun people in it that I can dick around with but at the same time have a normal conversation.

I mostly play PvP games with others and those tend to have a lot of toxic players but at the same time, there are a bunch of great ones as well. :)

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

4 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

So to answer your original question, I feel like female gamers get some hate, it's just different than the rest of the hate we normally see for other gamers that aren't female. Just going by what I've seen, but the objectification seen is just sickening to be honest.

What about playable characters? Do you see or have you experienced where a lack of diversity of playable characters had bothered you?

For me, playing a game is like reading a book. The race or gender of the character is part of the story, not my own self identity. I never really have thought to how a lack diversity characters might impact players feelings and personal interpretation of the have and/or story.

Just now, Ryujin2003 said:

What about playable characters? Do you see or have you experienced where a lack of diversity of playable characters had bothered you?

For me, playing a game is like reading a book. The race or gender of the character is part of the story, not my own self identity. I never really have thought to how a lack diversity characters might impact players feelings and personal interpretation of the have and/or story.

I don't have much choice in Portal/Portal 2 if I'm playing singleplayer. By default, I tend to go for male characters if possible, although most of my games either stick me as a goat or whatever I choose. Minecraft servers for example, it's practically impossible to tell what gender someone is based on their Minecraft skin. I have Fluttershy set as my skin and have had it that way for a couple years and only a few times got someone who actually cared to know what gender I am.

I do agree with that, I try to disregard race, religion, or gender whenever possible as long as the person is fun to play with like @Cyberspirit pointed out

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

3 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

Hey, I'm a guy and honestly, I do not care about a character nor a person's gender, religion, race or anything like that.

I like to play with fun people. I don't care if someone is model material as long as they act like trash.

Honestly, i rarely hear females talk in games and I get why.

I normally just look for groups that have nice and fun people in it that I can dick around with but at the same time have a normal conversation.

I mostly play PvP games with others and those tend to have a lot of toxic players but at the same time, there are a bunch of great ones as well. :)

Thank you for your feedback. Do you mind hosting done of the more active games you play?

2 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Do you mind hosting done of the more active games you play?

Not sure what exactly you mean by that. My English skills are limited :P

8 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

Not sure what exactly you mean by that. My English skills are limited :P

Sorry, I'm at my internship, and Google's smartphone keyboard sucks.

Do you mind posting some of the games you play often?

12 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Sorry, I'm at my internship, and Google's smartphone keyboard sucks.

Do you mind posting some of the games you play often?

To be honest the list isn't long because I just recently built a PC that can actually run games. :)

Here's the list of games that I'm currently playing:

Singleplayer:

Spoiler

Aragami 

A Hat in time

Witcher 3

Nier: Automata

Also, some older Nintendo games when I want to just turn my brain off.

Multiplayer:

Spoiler

Absolver

Titanfall 2

Rocket league (Haven't played much it's difficult)

Overwatch

osu!

Shellshock Live

Titanfall had both male and female body types. Only a moron would pick the bulky/buff male over the slimmer female since when it came to getting shot, the female was harder to hit due to the smaller and slimmer profile. Apart from that there's zero difference. Not like "gaming journalism" cared since there was no "objectification of muh whimen"

The whole objectifying women thing in video games is pretty much the Japanese/Weeb trash. Quiet and those questionable girls in those weird dating sims are what make the whole operation look bad. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

20 minutes ago, Rupe said:

Given her original comment your questions seem very leading, like there is a conclusion you are aiming for.

I agree with this 100%

Do you feel marginalized by the lack of non-sexualized female playable characters?

- Have you ever ask a man who loves doing make up same question?

Do you feel that games are dominated by males, and this somehow makes it less friendly for females to get into?

- You click/tap an icon/insert disc and start playing game, how is this make someone feel it's less friendly for them is beyond me.

How even these type question need to be asked in the first place.

How do you even think there has to be a race within a game, and even it's lacking how is that even relevant for someone to enjoy the game?

Why race, gender, religion and specially feeling are so important for a game?

What kind diversity are you trying to find in game?

is being diverse means only for race, gender and religion?

If the game only contain aliens, what kind diversity you expect in that kind of game?

I hate it, these people are trying to create a problem from non issue things and demand everyone doing what they think necessary to solve the problem that they've created.

2 hours ago, Blebekblebek said:

The issue is, most male consider this as non threat act, while gender studies professor think this act is at the same level as killing someone.

Streaming aside, what do you think about gender and race choices of playable characters in game? Do you think that is a non issue as well? Why it why not? If you had s cold, would that change anything?

2 hours ago, Froody129 said:

The biggest issue in my opinion isn't really games, it's more the internet as a whole. People do and say a lot of stuff they wouldn't say in real life when the think they're anonymous. I mean, look at the comments on any YouTube video ever where the presenter is female. Disgusting

I agree there is a lot of toxicity on the internet. There are trolling willing to generate wars over minute things. I'm sure there are redid dedicated to creating chaos.

Outside if streaming, what do you think it have experienced shit gender and race in game? Maybe single player story campaigns? Do you see this as a lack of diversity?

2 hours ago, Sauron said:

I think it's also important to note that writers inherently will tend to write about what they know, and that's not necessarily a bad thing; forcing oneself to write a character of a certain ethnicity just for the sake of diversity leads to stereotypes and the feeling that the character is the way they are just so check a box on a list.

This is one thing I totally agree with. Ubisoft may get a lot of flack for the final quality of product; however, I think they've done great with the Assassin's Creed series. It is diverse and had covered a lot of history, yet didn't have the feeling of the stories forcing political view points and bias into the consuming audience.

I like a well with story, and I find myself wondering if the needs hype is just an American thing. Some people over talked to find it hard to believe there aren't any African Americans in the UK...

With global writers, I don't know if it's too shocking. Metro wouldn't have been the same if it had diversity forced into it. Include a bunch of non Russians for the sake of inclusion?

I'll look into that. Maybe the cultural geography of the developer and consumer has a lot to do with interpreted non-issues?

2 hours ago, cluelessgenius said:

if its about stereotyping or oversexualizing woman i kind of get that. but as posted before in the case of twitch most woman arent exactly being a great rolemodel. 

What games do you think have great role models?

1 hour ago, Princess Cadence said:

I have never had an issue regarding my gender, then again I play for myself and don't stream. Frankly speaking i find disgusting these other girls that stream focusing on the fact they're females, it is a running meme already no?

Reveal hidden contents

1Vn2c.jpg

Whole focus on their body over the gameplay and all... so silly.... myself I don't even like talking in cs:go matches, my team always end up more interest in me than the match.

Princess Cadence, I've come to admire you on this forum. Your always honest and seem very well versed on a lot of topics. So thank you for taking the time to respond.

Outside of PvP and streaming persona, what are your feelings in regards to playable main characters? Have you ever felt put off by any have that didn't give you the option to choose a characters race or gender? Would you equate race and gender in a video game to those in books? I would welcome anything you have to bring on the topic. Suggestions on side topics and other related information would also be gratefully appreciated.

Again, thanks to everyone who has taken the time out of their day.

1 hour ago, cluelessgenius said:

i have never understood the idea of "diversity". i dont think every race, nationality and gender has to be represented in every aspect of life. white men dont stur up shit because basketball is dominated by african americans. and woman suddenly dont cry as loud for more female executives when they here that plumbers are mostly men too. like why is everyone so butthurt. 

if its about stereotyping or oversexualizing woman i kind of get that. but as posted before in the case of twitch most woman arent exactly being a great rolemodel. 

Yeah I wonder the same thing. Just because games are mostly played by white males whats the point in pushing for other races and genders to force them to play as well. If girls in general dont want to play then so be it. Its not that they are forced away from it, they just dont want to play. 

Today's world is not solving problems, its all about creating problems that never existed before. 

10 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Today's world is not solving problems, its all about creating problems that never existed before. 

Exactly this. Just like how Cup Head recently went under fire for having a "racist" art style.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7-6850k @ 4.2GHz

GPU: 2x FE GTX 1080Ti

Memory: 16GB PNY Anarchy DDR4 3200MHz

Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme 4

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.7GHz

GPU: GTX 1050

Memory: 8GB Curcial Ballistix DDR4 2133MHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H

Just now, Frankenburger said:

Exactly this. Just like how Cup Head recently went under fire for having a "racist" art style.

What? Really?

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

25 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Outside of PvP and streaming persona, what are your feelings in regards to playable main characters? Have you ever felt put off by any have that didn't give you the option to choose a characters race or gender?

Like I said earlier, Portal/Portal 2 don't give you a choice, you're always going to play as female protagonist Chell unless you mod the game or play co-op Portal 2. Same for Goat Simulator, as the name implies, you're a goat.

I always had fun during those games, I was never put off by things like that. The Portal series has been one of my favorite games ever since I hit one of the first major plot developments in Portal. And Goat Simulator is just chaotic and it's impossible to not have fun

13 minutes ago, Frankenburger said:

Wut, and they are basing their claims on 1930s content? Its the opposite of Captain America being portrayed as a Nazi in some comics and people claiming it conflicts with the creators intentions (Even though the creator made the same Scenario early on in the franchise, and this cycle repeats.)

12 minutes ago, Frankenburger said:

Holy fucking shit. That dude in the first link should just off himself, we dont need people like that. They do nothing but cause conflict. Its literally a game of two cup people fighting off the devil, nothing more. 

5 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Holy fucking shit. That dude in the first link should just off himself, we dont need people like that. They do nothing but cause conflict. Its literally a game of two cup people fighting off the devil, nothing more. 

I'm curious to know how people like those came to form their beliefs. Is it bad schooling? Bad parenting? Or what?

The problem is that extreme SJWism isn't getting quieter, it's getting louder. Not too long ago, Zoe Quinn and Anita Sarkeesian were discussing safe spaces and "online harassment" at a United Nations conference. Fast forward to 2017, where we can't even fart without it being sexist, racist, or ableist.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

41 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Streaming aside, what do you think about gender and race choices of playable characters in game? Do you think that is a non issue as well? Why it why not? If you had s cold, would that change anything?

Um, I really don't care what race or what gender I'm playing as as long as it's a good character. I think people overreact to single player characters. If I had a cold...?

That's an F in the profile pic

Just now, Froody129 said:

Um, I really don't care what race or what gender I'm playing as as long as it's a good character. I think people overreact to single player characters. If I had a cold...?

Sorry, if you could change anything, would you?

Just now, Ryujin2003 said:

Sorry, if you could change anything, would you?

I think devs use the Action Man stereotype because it's easy and sells well. So I really don't care about gender, race etc. but if it means devs will come out with some games that aren't recycled garbage than I'm all for change

That's an F in the profile pic

13 minutes ago, Frankenburger said:

I'm curious to know how people like those came to form their beliefs. Is it bad schooling? Bad parenting? Or what?

The problem is that extreme SJWism isn't getting quieter, it's getting louder. Not too long ago, Zoe Quinn and Anita Sarkeesian were discussing safe spaces and "online harassment" at a United Nations conference. Fast forward to 2017, where we can't even fart without it being sexist, racist, or ableist.

I really wish I knew why people dig down that far into things. Same goes for hardcore theorist about movies, books, etc...Like when the Lord of the rings was released people dug so far into it that J.R.R Tolkien came out and said, guys its literally just a story, has nothing to do with reality or my past, just enjoy the books. 

Cant people just watch or enjoy it for what it is.