Ryzen 5 1600 or i5 8400?

I'm planning a new build and I'm very confused between ryzen 5 1600 and i5 8400 (only these fit in my budget). According to many youtube reviews i5 8400 looks much better performance wise but then there is hyperthreading and future prospects. But i also have this notion in my head that "intel is intel". What to do??

I am a casual gamer and will be using this machine for some music production work. I usually web browse with multiple tabs open at the same time. Not very familiar very OC and wouldn't like to get into it if it's to much hassle.

New Build:

R5 1600 / i5 8400

Asus B350 / z370 Mobo

DDR4 3000Mhz 8 GB Ram

GTX 1050ti GPU

M.2 250GB SSD

Corsair CX450M PSU

If you plan on overclocking to get better IPC then ryzen, if not intel

what's your usecase? do you even do anything that will use the threads? the core speed of ryzen is severely limiting for gaming and in that case i5 is the only real option even the new 4core i3 will do much better with a strong OC

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

7 minutes ago, aSidSha said:

I'm planning a new build and I'm very confused between ryzen 5 1600 and i5 8400 (only these fit in my budget). According to many youtube reviews i5 8400 looks much better performance wise but then there is hyperthreading and future prospects. But i also have this notion in my head that "intel is intel". What to do??

i would go with the i5-8400 for a gaming PC, and a R7 1700 for a workstation machine.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Just now, SquintyG33Rs said:

what's your usecase? do you even do anything that will use the threads? the core speed of ryzen is severely limiting for gaming and in that case i5 is the only real option even the new 4core i3 will do much better with a strong OC

So wrong. Alot of games today make fine use of extra cores and threads. So the i5 isnt the only real option. 

Mobo MSI X370 Carbon CPU Ryzen 7 1700 3.8GHz RAM Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x8GB 3000MHz GPU ASUS GTX 1070 Strix Case NZXT S340 Storage Samsung 960 EVO 250GB M.2 - Seagate 1TB  PSU EVGA 750W Cooling NZXT Kraken X52 OS WIndows 10 Pro

Keyboard Arachnid Recore - Cherry MX Red Mouse Corsair M45  !!--GTA V--!!  

The 8400 will provide a better gaming experience, but you will probably need a good cooling solution. The 1600 is cheaper in terms of platform cost, comes with a very good stock cooler, and provides better performance in multithreaded applications such as video editing. Depends on your use case.

1 minute ago, Komplett said:

So wrong. Alot of games today make fine use of extra cores and threads. So the i5 isnt the only real option. 

listen man don't fanboy over it. i have a 1700 too. i'm bringing facts not pipe dreams. the speed limitation is the only reason ryzen is behind intel and it's a serious hold back. and no, no games use more than 6 threads. most games are coded like shit (thanks ubisoft) and the ones that scale with your hardware well are so well coded to start off they run super well even on minimum specs (look at wolfenstein and DOOM)

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

14 minutes ago, tp95112 said:

If you plan on overclocking to get better IPC then ryzen, if not intel

You don't increase IPC with overclocks...

10 minutes ago, InertiaSelling said:

The 8400 will provide a better gaming experience, but you will probably need a good cooling solution. The 1600 is cheaper in terms of platform cost, comes with a very good stock cooler, and provides better performance in multithreaded applications such as video editing. Depends on your use case.

i5 comes with a good enough stock cooler.

9 minutes ago, MyName13 said:

You don't increase IPC with overclocks...

i5 comes with a good enough stock cooler.

Overclocking to help single threaded performance. Which ryzen lacks compared to Coffeelake still. 

4 minutes ago, tp95112 said:

Overclocking to help single threaded performance. Which ryzen lacks compared to Coffeelake still. 

only narrows the gap.. still stuck behind.

ultimately it's a money question.... buy what you can afford. consider total cost. i5 will perform better but it's more expensive because of the mobo

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

When thinking about the future, ryzen mobo's might be valid for ryzen 2 and 3, whereas intel requires a new chipset.

2 hours ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

listen man don't fanboy over it. i have a 1700 too. i'm bringing facts not pipe dreams. the speed limitation is the only reason ryzen is behind intel and it's a serious hold back. and no, no games use more than 6 threads. most games are coded like shit (thanks ubisoft) and the ones that scale with your hardware well are so well coded to start off they run super well even on minimum specs (look at wolfenstein and DOOM)

A few years ago I bought a 4670k instead of a 4770k because everyone was saying that games don't use 4 cores and they probably never will. So right now I'm suffering because my issue isn't that the cpu is not fast enough(I get about 90 fps avg in BF1 with a 1070) but that it is regularly hitting 100% usage while I'm playing cpu intensive games and I get freezes, stutter and so on. Right now the 8400 is better but in a few years...who knows. And also even if a game doesn't use 6 threads that doesn't mean that these 6 threads won't get maxed out when you factor in background proccesses (Windows, Chrome, Antivirus, etc.).

4 minutes ago, PhaseShift said:

Best thing ever for me was getting the i7 6700 on a cheap board than the i5 6600k on a overclocking board, no regrets.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

30 minutes ago, PhaseShift said:

A few years ago I bought a 4670k instead of a 4770k because everyone was saying that games don't use 4 cores and they probably never will. So right now I'm suffering because my issue isn't that the cpu is not fast enough(I get about 90 fps avg in BF1 with a 1070) but that it is regularly hitting 100% usage while I'm playing cpu intensive games and I get freezes, stutter and so on. Right now the 8400 is better but in a few years...who knows. And also even if a game doesn't use 6 threads that doesn't mean that these 6 threads won't get maxed out when you factor in background proccesses (Windows, Chrome, Antivirus, etc.).

4670k was like 5 years ago...... and i don't know who told you any of that but they were full of shit. i never said games will never use more than x cores but all tests we can do right now show that the difference in speed of the intel chips aver the ryzen ones give them a clear advantage. and that's not likely to go away. because hyper-threading aside they are still both 6 core parts sold in exactly the same price category. and i don't see why you'd complain about buying an i5 instead of an i7. you saved yourself some cash. you could have bought yourself a 2700k if you were so sour, the changes since then were minimal until now (once OC'ed). remember that the year after that people were recommending the unlocked Pentium even for small budget builders. to be honest it's really your fault. you overestimated your system and bought a GPU that was much too powerful. i have a friend that did the same thing, except worse... 1080+4690k. can't stop laughing at him

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

3 hours ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

only narrows the gap.. still stuck behind.

ultimately it's a money question.... buy what you can afford. consider total cost. i5 will perform better but it's more expensive because of the mobo

Thats why, i usually just go with intel cause Ryzen is good when you add the additional overclocking

1 hour ago, resisq said:

When thinking about the future, ryzen mobo's might be valid for ryzen 2 and 3, whereas intel requires a new chipset.

agreed. not many people upgrade like that though

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

Just now, tp95112 said:

Thats why, i usually just go with intel cause Ryzen is good when you add the additional overclocking

ryzen is always good. not for pure gaming though

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

1 minute ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

ryzen is always good. not for pure gaming though

Yup

As others have said, the i5-8400 will be better for pure gaming, the R5-1600 will be better bang for the buck and better performance in most multi-threaded use cases. The thing that sucks about the 8400 is you don't have the option to OC it in the future to squeeze more life out of it. You can't go wrong with either one though but if you get the 1600 you should definitely be OCing it.

Primary PC-

CPU: Intel i7-6800k @ 4.2-4.4Ghz   CPU COOLER: Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4   MOBO: MSI X99A SLI Plus   RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX quad-channel DDR4-2800  GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX   PSU: Corsair RM1000i   CASE: Corsair 750D Obsidian   SSDs: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo + 256GB Samsung 850 Pro   HDDs: Toshiba 3TB + Seagate 1TB   Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HUC 27" 2560x1440 (165Hz G-Sync)  +  LG 29UM57 29" 2560x1080   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4Ghz  MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3   RAM: 16GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 OC   PSU: Rosewill 750W   CASE: Antec Gaming One   SSD: 120GB PNY CS1311   HDDs: WD Red 3TB + WD 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200 -or- Steam Link to Vizio M43C1 43" 4K TV  OS: Windows 10 Pro

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

CPU: 2x Xeon E5645 (12-core)  Model: Dell PowerEdge T610  RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333  PSUs: 2x 570W  SSDs: 8GB Kingston Boot FD + 32GB Sandisk Cache SSD   HDDs: WD Red 4TB + Seagate 2TB + Seagate 320GB   OS: FreeNAS 11+

Laptop-

CPU: Intel i7-3520M   Model: Dell Latitude E6530   RAM: 8GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Nvidia NVS 5200M   SSD: 240GB TeamGroup L5   HDD: WD Black 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Having issues with a Corsair AIO? Possible fix here:

Spoiler

Are you getting weird fan behavior, speed fluctuations, and/or other issues with Link?

Are you running AIDA64, HWinfo, CAM, or HWmonitor? (ASUS suite & other monitoring software often have the same issue.)

Corsair Link has problems with some monitoring software so you may have to change some settings to get them to work smoothly.

-For AIDA64: First make sure you have the newest update installed, then, go to Preferences>Stability and make sure the "Corsair Link sensor support" box is checked and make sure the "Asetek LC sensor support" box is UNchecked.

-For HWinfo: manually disable all monitoring of the AIO sensors/components.

-For others: Disable any monitoring of Corsair AIO sensors.

That should fix the fan issue for some Corsair AIOs (H80i GT/v2, H110i GTX/H115i, H100i GTX and others made by Asetek). The problem is bad coding in Link that fights for AIO control with other programs. You can test if this worked by setting the fan speed in Link to 100%, if it doesn't fluctuate you are set and can change the curve to whatever. If that doesn't work or you're still having other issues then you probably still have a monitoring software interfering with the AIO/Link communications, find what it is and disable it.

Is the 8600k 100% not an option?

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

I have recently built a 8350K machine for a client who had the mindset to upgrade platform and leave headroom for future upgrades if valid later on. 

Rough synthetic benchmarking with just OC genie without manual OC at 4.1 GHz was actually really surprising, but imho a PC is about balance and need. 

I should note this build had an AiO water cooler and a 1060 6GB.

But @aSidSha

Can you tell us more about what other components you have or plan to use as well as what you want the build for? 

Others have mentioned Coffee for games, Ryzen for "workloads" and that is correct from what I have tested. 

54 minutes ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

4670k was like 5 years ago...... and i don't know who told you any of that but they were full of shit. i never said games will never use more than x cores but all tests we can do right now show that the difference in speed of the intel chips aver the ryzen ones give them a clear advantage. and that's not likely to go away. because hyper-threading aside they are still both 6 core parts sold in exactly the same price category. and i don't see why you'd complain about buying an i5 instead of an i7. you saved yourself some cash. you could have bought yourself a 2700k if you were so sour, the changes since then were minimal until now (once OC'ed). remember that the year after that people were recommending the unlocked Pentium even for small budget builders. to be honest it's really your fault. you overestimated your system and bought a GPU that was much too powerful. i have a friend that did the same thing, except worse... 1080+4690k. can't stop laughing at him

I wasn't arguing your point I just meant that while the i5 is better right now in 3 years time it might be limited by the fact that it has no hyperthreding. Now about the gpu...I said in my post that my problem is not avg fps, it's the cpu hitting 100% usage causing stuttering and freezing so even if I had bought a 1060 (for example) I would still have the exact same problem.

10 minutes ago, PhaseShift said:

I wasn't arguing your point I just meant that while the i5 is better right now in 3 years time it might be limited by the fact that it has no hyperthreding. Now about the gpu...I said in my post that my problem is not avg fps, it's the cpu hitting 100% usage causing stuttering and freezing so even if I had bought a 1060 (for example) I would still have the exact same problem.

no you wouldn't because it stutters because the CPU is occupied and doesn't feed the information to the GPU basically the GPU works too fast and so it ends up with nothing to do and no image to show on monitor so it shows the same image again. a slower GPU won't show the stutters because the CPU can keep up.

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

5 hours ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

BF1, use almost all cores on my CPU with even load. It works perfectly fine unless you need 144fps in every single game.

Mobo MSI X370 Carbon CPU Ryzen 7 1700 3.8GHz RAM Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x8GB 3000MHz GPU ASUS GTX 1070 Strix Case NZXT S340 Storage Samsung 960 EVO 250GB M.2 - Seagate 1TB  PSU EVGA 750W Cooling NZXT Kraken X52 OS WIndows 10 Pro

Keyboard Arachnid Recore - Cherry MX Red Mouse Corsair M45  !!--GTA V--!!  

1 hour ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

no you wouldn't because it stutters because the CPU is occupied and doesn't feed the information to the GPU basically the GPU works too fast and so it ends up with nothing to do and no image to show on monitor so it shows the same image again. a slower GPU won't show the stutters because the CPU can keep up.

Stuttering is cause by drops in fps to a really low number. In BF1 I usually get drops from 90 to 10-20 fps for a split second when the cpu maxes out. I don't get how being with a 1060 and getting drops from 60 to 10-20 fps is going to solve my issue.