Is Destiny2 worth it?

AlmightyJohn
Go to solution Solved by nightmarevoid,

I really don't get all the animosity both the original game and Destiny 2 have received. As someone who has played the original, the newest version on PC, and know quite a bit about the game here's my take.

Destiny 2 for PC is something that anyone can jump into gameplay wise with relatively few aspects that are left to the player to discover (like scannable lore objects throughout the world). What might be frustration is the lack of background that makes people who didn't play destiny 1 feel left out, but if you play long enough everything is pieced back together (minus the awesome flashbacks D1 players will get when your epic adventures are brought back up). But here's the Destiny 1 story Tl;Dr ( you can skip this)

[a giant sentient metal sphere appears on mars and is investigated only to find out that it is some kind of civilization catalyst (a little like mass effect, minus the devious reaper outcome) and helped humanity prosper through a golden age where all the planets and many moons/dwarf planets were terraformed using an ever permeating energy called "the light." Humanity prospered and created incredible things but then the Traveler, as the humans had called it, was attacked by its ancient enemy "The Darkness" and its various minion races which are your enemies throughout Destiny 1 and 2. These are the Fallen, cabal, The Hive, The Vex, and The Taken (offshoot of Hive... kinda). Each race has it's own unique fighting style, story, and will even fight each other as their alliance is to the darkness and not each other. Instead of fleaing as it normally does, the Traveler stays and tries to fight the darkness only to damage itself in the end and goes dormant. Worried that the darkness may one day return, The traveler creates offshoots of itself known as ghosts (formerly voiced by Peter Dinklage) to resurrect "chosen soldiers" to fight against the remaining armies of the darkness and protect humanity and its civilization. (you are essentially a zombie space cowboy). You are special though, as you are far more capable than anyone who has come before and through your various exploits and shenanigans defeat what are essentially enemy gods, only to bring down even more gods onto yourselves and have to defeat them as well (That's how the taken happened!).]

I honestly have no idea how this is compared to borderlands as the only thing they have in common is looting and the color coding system. Like, yeah borderlands is also a shooty RPG, but it isn't MMO, doesn't have PvP, is pretty hard to play with friends (impossible to make new ones), and doesn't have any kind of events after the main story besides the side missions you already had available so...

The biggest complaint I and other's have had about destiny's story is that it a bit one dimensional. Your enemies are evil and you shoot them. It's not like halo where alliances are formed and lost and your enemies seem to have an intelligence and a goal larger than just your destruction. However, Destiny two does add more story to everything and it does start to feel like a full fledged RPG as it was always trying to be. You find your missions while out in the field exploring and you have a number of characters who you can talk and interact with. In truth, The game is very fun! you can meet up with people to run missions, raids, multiplayer, or strikes with and there's always more to do in the way of missions, challenges, quests, ect. A lot of people go into destiny expecting the classic shooter experience of running through the campaign in a few hours (something I've literally done with COD) then spending all their time in multiplayer, but in Destiny the story can take you a while, especially since you have to level up in between missions and as you often have to do in RPGs. After the main story is complete you will still have a number of missions and quests to complete, as well as item quests which will drop randomly to rewards you with cool weapons like Mida Multi-tool and the Rat King. Then, If you can finally finish all of that, there's the fact that it's still an RPG and there will be weekly events, holiday events, and DLC all of which you'll have to prepare for by trying to have the best gear possible (obtained by quests, nightfall strikes, raids, ect.) I've played through destiny 1, and so far all of destiny 2 alone.. but honestly there's always been a lot to do that I've rarely gotten board between DLC. In D1 you could actually solo some of the higher tire events like nightfalls strikes that didn't have matchmaking, but now that Destiny 2 is out on PC I think I'll have an easier time finding a clan, fire team, and raid team. The worlds of Destiny 2 are absolutely beautiful and vast to the point that I definitely haven't seen all there is to see yet. PVP multiplayer is very limited with  only two options to choose from, unranked and ranked, and only a handful of gametypes to play, but this will expand as Bungie confirms stability. PvP isn't supposed to carry the game like every other FPS, but it is a fun activity and can get you some pretty good gear for the strikes and raids which are the meat of the game.

Pros:

fun gameplay and weapons

amazing places

tons to do

constant support

cons:

a little confusing at first

will require expansions to remain relevant

characters can feel cut n' dry

Damn that's a lot of typing.... I probably look like a lame nerd...

3 minutes ago, ErrantNyles said:

Nope.

Yeah why? I was thinking about purchasing it...

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

6 minutes ago, AlmightyJohn said:

why?

When the community manager tells you the endgame most important contenent is "friendship", there's a big problem indeed.

Seriously tho, the game isn't that bad by itself but it's really dependant on the clan activities and it doesn't offer many activities. You can complete the campaign in an afternoon and the entire game in a couple of weeks.

Nope. Warframe is free and has exponentially more content

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Also it's a really bad copy of borderlands 2. Play that instead

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

2 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

I second this. Destiny is fun to play with friends, but if you play solo, you will run out of content quickly. The combat is very competent, but there is not that much to do. You can clear the game in a weekend (including the raid) if you try hard enough. Borderlands 2 has much more content and is very well written.

16 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

Nope. Warframe is free and has exponentially more content

15 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

But does that not make warframe a bad copy of Borderlands 2 aswell?Bildresultat för thinking emoji

15 minutes ago, TacticlTwinkie said:

I second this. Destiny is fun to play with friends, but if you play solo, you will run out of content quickly. The combat is very competent, but there is not that much to do. You can clear the game in a weekend (including the raid) if you try hard enough. Borderlands 2 has much more content and is very well written.

if the game is only fun with friends than that game is a bad game, everything is pretty much fun with friends, even watching the paint dry,

however if you want to know why Destiny 2 is bad watch this: 

i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz 1.37v, EVGA GTX 1080 FTW Hybrid, Asus z370-A Prime

G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Samsung 960 Evo 256GB, Samsung 850Pro 1TB, WD 3TB HDD

NZXT H440 White, Corsair H100i GTX v2, EVGA 750G2

Corsair AF140 x1, Corsair SP120 x2, Noctua Industrial 3000 RPM x3

22 minutes ago, Kameegaming said:

if the game is only fun with friends than that game is a bad game, everything is pretty much fun with friends, even watching the paint dry,

however if you want to know why Destiny 2 is bad watch this: 

man this shit spoilers, I aint gonna watch it now

6 minutes ago, AlmightyJohn said:

man this shit spoilers, I aint gonna watch it now

tl; dw: Bad guys is boring and sucks, game is not good enough on it's own and needs to be carried by the story, but the story is not good, not if you want a good scifi story (e.g. Mass Effect) and gameplay is boring grinding

Edited by Kameegaming
typo

i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz 1.37v, EVGA GTX 1080 FTW Hybrid, Asus z370-A Prime

G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Samsung 960 Evo 256GB, Samsung 850Pro 1TB, WD 3TB HDD

NZXT H440 White, Corsair H100i GTX v2, EVGA 750G2

Corsair AF140 x1, Corsair SP120 x2, Noctua Industrial 3000 RPM x3

2 hours ago, AlmightyJohn said:

But does that not make warframe a bad copy of Borderlands 2 aswell?Bildresultat för thinking emoji

All 3 are loot shooters, but borderlands and destiny are similar to each other in structure

2 minutes ago, kilgore_T said:

most fun I have had gaming in years

did you play the original game aswell?

9 minutes ago, AlmightyJohn said:

did you play the original game aswell?

no, only have a pc

Destiny 2 as far as I am concerned is nothing breath taking, just another of those hyped as fuck game for some quick sales that will die within a year.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

I love the game. For 60 bucks I've already gotten my money's worth over the past 6 days. (An unhealthy amount of playing). However it really comes down to if this type of game appeals to you. My friends and I party up and roam the lands looking for the bonus lore and trying to get the next best weapon. It is a grind, and the story is good, however if you play for the story alone you may want to look elsewhere.

Having played Borerlands 1 & 2, and now Destiny 2, I can honestly say I'm enjoying Destiny 2 more. The characters in Borderlands are considerably better, hands down, but IMO that's all it has going for it. I'm enjoying the story for Destiny 2 more, the shooting mechanics feel more responsive, and the PVP is easy to get into. Also, the environments in Destiny 2 hold my interest far better than the environments in Borderlands ever did.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7-6850k @ 4.2GHz

GPU: 2x FE GTX 1080Ti

Memory: 16GB PNY Anarchy DDR4 3200MHz

Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme 4

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.7GHz

GPU: GTX 1050

Memory: 8GB Curcial Ballistix DDR4 2133MHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H

7 minutes ago, Frankenburger said:

Having played Borerlands 1 & 2, and now Destiny 2, I can honestly say I'm enjoying Destiny 2 more. The characters in Borderlands are considerably better, hands down, but IMO that's all it has going for it. I'm enjoying the story for Destiny 2 more, the shooting mechanics feel more responsive, and the PVP is easy to get into. Also, the environments in Destiny 2 hold my interest far better than the environments in Borderlands ever did.

the environments are just fantastic

I have a bunch of friends with more than 1000 hours in first Destiny. They are telling me that second one is boring for pro's at the beginning because you can't pick the hard mode. And that the story is boring. But when you are joining raids in high level it's very cool to play. And they are saying that first Destiny was not so good at the beginning, but Bungie improving game very quickly using users feedback.

I have it and like it a lot. Though I don't think it's worth the asking price at the minute. Maybe worth £30 and not £40. But I suppose it's an investment as the game will only get better.
The think the community manager said is take out of context. He made a mistake by posting it in the bungie weekly update. This is evident by the devs stating they are working on improving the endgame. Honestly though, as I said, I like it a lot but would probably ditch it in a heart beat if borderlands 3 came out.

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

It depends, as everything in life.

I played all but one expansion on Destiny 1, and have done all content in Destiny 2 (all in ps4). The game is very fun and cool. Gameplay is good, and its satisfying to get loot to increase your power.

BUT, once you've done all content, there's not much else to do, despite Bungie's promises / (many) improvements over Destiny 1. You have to wait for the expansions, no work around that at the moment.

I understand for PC there's only the option to buy the game with the expansions, which makes the decision more difficult. On the other hand, if you end up liking it, you'll definitely play the expansions.

I probably didn't help much, but maybe shoot me some questions and I'll be glad to answer them.

I bet 99% of the People who said "no", never played it.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

2 minutes ago, Praesi said:

I bet 99% of the People who said "no", never played it.

Probably. It's not uncommon for people to hate on something popular.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7-6850k @ 4.2GHz

GPU: 2x FE GTX 1080Ti

Memory: 16GB PNY Anarchy DDR4 3200MHz

Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme 4

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.7GHz

GPU: GTX 1050

Memory: 8GB Curcial Ballistix DDR4 2133MHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H