Is Destiny2 worth it?

AlmightyJohn
Go to solution Solved by nightmarevoid,

I really don't get all the animosity both the original game and Destiny 2 have received. As someone who has played the original, the newest version on PC, and know quite a bit about the game here's my take.

Destiny 2 for PC is something that anyone can jump into gameplay wise with relatively few aspects that are left to the player to discover (like scannable lore objects throughout the world). What might be frustration is the lack of background that makes people who didn't play destiny 1 feel left out, but if you play long enough everything is pieced back together (minus the awesome flashbacks D1 players will get when your epic adventures are brought back up). But here's the Destiny 1 story Tl;Dr ( you can skip this)

[a giant sentient metal sphere appears on mars and is investigated only to find out that it is some kind of civilization catalyst (a little like mass effect, minus the devious reaper outcome) and helped humanity prosper through a golden age where all the planets and many moons/dwarf planets were terraformed using an ever permeating energy called "the light." Humanity prospered and created incredible things but then the Traveler, as the humans had called it, was attacked by its ancient enemy "The Darkness" and its various minion races which are your enemies throughout Destiny 1 and 2. These are the Fallen, cabal, The Hive, The Vex, and The Taken (offshoot of Hive... kinda). Each race has it's own unique fighting style, story, and will even fight each other as their alliance is to the darkness and not each other. Instead of fleaing as it normally does, the Traveler stays and tries to fight the darkness only to damage itself in the end and goes dormant. Worried that the darkness may one day return, The traveler creates offshoots of itself known as ghosts (formerly voiced by Peter Dinklage) to resurrect "chosen soldiers" to fight against the remaining armies of the darkness and protect humanity and its civilization. (you are essentially a zombie space cowboy). You are special though, as you are far more capable than anyone who has come before and through your various exploits and shenanigans defeat what are essentially enemy gods, only to bring down even more gods onto yourselves and have to defeat them as well (That's how the taken happened!).]

I honestly have no idea how this is compared to borderlands as the only thing they have in common is looting and the color coding system. Like, yeah borderlands is also a shooty RPG, but it isn't MMO, doesn't have PvP, is pretty hard to play with friends (impossible to make new ones), and doesn't have any kind of events after the main story besides the side missions you already had available so...

The biggest complaint I and other's have had about destiny's story is that it a bit one dimensional. Your enemies are evil and you shoot them. It's not like halo where alliances are formed and lost and your enemies seem to have an intelligence and a goal larger than just your destruction. However, Destiny two does add more story to everything and it does start to feel like a full fledged RPG as it was always trying to be. You find your missions while out in the field exploring and you have a number of characters who you can talk and interact with. In truth, The game is very fun! you can meet up with people to run missions, raids, multiplayer, or strikes with and there's always more to do in the way of missions, challenges, quests, ect. A lot of people go into destiny expecting the classic shooter experience of running through the campaign in a few hours (something I've literally done with COD) then spending all their time in multiplayer, but in Destiny the story can take you a while, especially since you have to level up in between missions and as you often have to do in RPGs. After the main story is complete you will still have a number of missions and quests to complete, as well as item quests which will drop randomly to rewards you with cool weapons like Mida Multi-tool and the Rat King. Then, If you can finally finish all of that, there's the fact that it's still an RPG and there will be weekly events, holiday events, and DLC all of which you'll have to prepare for by trying to have the best gear possible (obtained by quests, nightfall strikes, raids, ect.) I've played through destiny 1, and so far all of destiny 2 alone.. but honestly there's always been a lot to do that I've rarely gotten board between DLC. In D1 you could actually solo some of the higher tire events like nightfalls strikes that didn't have matchmaking, but now that Destiny 2 is out on PC I think I'll have an easier time finding a clan, fire team, and raid team. The worlds of Destiny 2 are absolutely beautiful and vast to the point that I definitely haven't seen all there is to see yet. PVP multiplayer is very limited with  only two options to choose from, unranked and ranked, and only a handful of gametypes to play, but this will expand as Bungie confirms stability. PvP isn't supposed to carry the game like every other FPS, but it is a fun activity and can get you some pretty good gear for the strikes and raids which are the meat of the game.

Pros:

fun gameplay and weapons

amazing places

tons to do

constant support

cons:

a little confusing at first

will require expansions to remain relevant

characters can feel cut n' dry

Damn that's a lot of typing.... I probably look like a lame nerd...

I liked Destiny a lot and played a fair bit of it (no where near as much as I put into Final Fantasy 14 though), and so far have been enjoying my time with Destiny 2.  The way I look at it if I can put 60 Hours into a game I more then made my money back on entertainment value and this game will easily go beyond that I probably have 60 hour into it already and its barely been out a week.  With that Said if your just looking for a game with a story this game isn't for you this game is about the grind and crucible (pvp).

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump

I find it a lot of fun playing with friends doing public events, PVP and then i'm taking my time doing the story line by myself. Definitely already worth it for me. I can tell i'm not gonna like a game from the first minute like Overwatch,.. Destiny 2 is not one of them. 

AMD Ryzen 1700x

ASRock x370 Taichi

Corsair Vengeance RGB 16GB GDDR4 3200

EVGA GTX 1080 Ti K|NGP|N

Fractal Meshify C

Samsung Evo 960 Nvme M.2 500gb & WD Blue 1TB

Corsair TX850M Gold

Alienware AW2518H 240Hz Gsync

Audioengine A2+ & Sennheiser HD6xx /w Fiio K5 Pro

Deepcool Captain 240Pro V2

Vortex Race 3 Cherry Mx Red

Corsair Vengeance M65 PRO RGB

I really don't get all the animosity both the original game and Destiny 2 have received. As someone who has played the original, the newest version on PC, and know quite a bit about the game here's my take.

Destiny 2 for PC is something that anyone can jump into gameplay wise with relatively few aspects that are left to the player to discover (like scannable lore objects throughout the world). What might be frustration is the lack of background that makes people who didn't play destiny 1 feel left out, but if you play long enough everything is pieced back together (minus the awesome flashbacks D1 players will get when your epic adventures are brought back up). But here's the Destiny 1 story Tl;Dr ( you can skip this)

[a giant sentient metal sphere appears on mars and is investigated only to find out that it is some kind of civilization catalyst (a little like mass effect, minus the devious reaper outcome) and helped humanity prosper through a golden age where all the planets and many moons/dwarf planets were terraformed using an ever permeating energy called "the light." Humanity prospered and created incredible things but then the Traveler, as the humans had called it, was attacked by its ancient enemy "The Darkness" and its various minion races which are your enemies throughout Destiny 1 and 2. These are the Fallen, cabal, The Hive, The Vex, and The Taken (offshoot of Hive... kinda). Each race has it's own unique fighting style, story, and will even fight each other as their alliance is to the darkness and not each other. Instead of fleaing as it normally does, the Traveler stays and tries to fight the darkness only to damage itself in the end and goes dormant. Worried that the darkness may one day return, The traveler creates offshoots of itself known as ghosts (formerly voiced by Peter Dinklage) to resurrect "chosen soldiers" to fight against the remaining armies of the darkness and protect humanity and its civilization. (you are essentially a zombie space cowboy). You are special though, as you are far more capable than anyone who has come before and through your various exploits and shenanigans defeat what are essentially enemy gods, only to bring down even more gods onto yourselves and have to defeat them as well (That's how the taken happened!).]

I honestly have no idea how this is compared to borderlands as the only thing they have in common is looting and the color coding system. Like, yeah borderlands is also a shooty RPG, but it isn't MMO, doesn't have PvP, is pretty hard to play with friends (impossible to make new ones), and doesn't have any kind of events after the main story besides the side missions you already had available so...

The biggest complaint I and other's have had about destiny's story is that it a bit one dimensional. Your enemies are evil and you shoot them. It's not like halo where alliances are formed and lost and your enemies seem to have an intelligence and a goal larger than just your destruction. However, Destiny two does add more story to everything and it does start to feel like a full fledged RPG as it was always trying to be. You find your missions while out in the field exploring and you have a number of characters who you can talk and interact with. In truth, The game is very fun! you can meet up with people to run missions, raids, multiplayer, or strikes with and there's always more to do in the way of missions, challenges, quests, ect. A lot of people go into destiny expecting the classic shooter experience of running through the campaign in a few hours (something I've literally done with COD) then spending all their time in multiplayer, but in Destiny the story can take you a while, especially since you have to level up in between missions and as you often have to do in RPGs. After the main story is complete you will still have a number of missions and quests to complete, as well as item quests which will drop randomly to rewards you with cool weapons like Mida Multi-tool and the Rat King. Then, If you can finally finish all of that, there's the fact that it's still an RPG and there will be weekly events, holiday events, and DLC all of which you'll have to prepare for by trying to have the best gear possible (obtained by quests, nightfall strikes, raids, ect.) I've played through destiny 1, and so far all of destiny 2 alone.. but honestly there's always been a lot to do that I've rarely gotten board between DLC. In D1 you could actually solo some of the higher tire events like nightfalls strikes that didn't have matchmaking, but now that Destiny 2 is out on PC I think I'll have an easier time finding a clan, fire team, and raid team. The worlds of Destiny 2 are absolutely beautiful and vast to the point that I definitely haven't seen all there is to see yet. PVP multiplayer is very limited with  only two options to choose from, unranked and ranked, and only a handful of gametypes to play, but this will expand as Bungie confirms stability. PvP isn't supposed to carry the game like every other FPS, but it is a fun activity and can get you some pretty good gear for the strikes and raids which are the meat of the game.

Pros:

fun gameplay and weapons

amazing places

tons to do

constant support

cons:

Ryzen 7 3700X

Aorus GTX 1080ti

G.Skill TridentZ 3200MHz 2x8GB

Corsair SFX 750W

Phanteks Evolve Shift Air (glass front)

2x Corsair Force GS 120GB SSD (RAID 0)

On 2017-11-03 at 2:19 AM, nightmarevoid said:

Pros:

fun gameplay and weapons

amazing places

tons to do

constant support

cons:

hehe took some time to read through aswell but it was intresting and informative. Thank you for taking the time, and we are all nerds here so don't worry ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Different people have different choices and different views. Personally I like it.

it was my game of the year

until I started wolfenstein lol

it is a great game though, extremely enjoyable