Job/Salary and PC specs please

KyberKylo77
Just now, dizmo said:

Best time to learn and build habits is when you're young ;)

tru

EDIT:

My job is contracting, I get paid £700 week per week, Payments are every two weeks. I. Built my PC 3 years ago. Planning a new build in a few weeks. If not most likely Christmas time. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

I'd say that's pretty damn impressive actually :P Most people making that at your age wouldn't be able to save or budget that well.

i have more to put on my refrences then both my parent and literally all of my friends combined lol, i work the total shit out of me at every opertunity just to fuel my obsession with performance, but im pretty sure im done with spending it all on computer for now seeing as after realizeing i could have traveled the world, gotten my motorbike licence and still had enough for a decent esports computer and periferals i kind of feel bad about this black hole... held off sevral deals already like a cheap new motherboard for Northern Bee and new RAM for my secondary PCs just because i dont NEED it so im not going to buy them. hurts when makeing the decition but feels good after its done knowing thats a few euros going towards something else, like that motorbike lisence or whatever

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

19, worked 2.5 months this summer after I finished high school, got myself around $6000 after taxes so built myself a PC for around $2000, but sold my old for $600. Before that it was small summer jobs, birthdays and christmas. And in Sweden we get $130 every month from the government to go to school, so saved most of that for a few years.

Mobo MSI X370 Carbon CPU Ryzen 7 1700 3.8GHz RAM Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x8GB 3000MHz GPU ASUS GTX 1070 Strix Case NZXT S340 Storage Samsung 960 EVO 250GB M.2 - Seagate 1TB  PSU EVGA 750W Cooling NZXT Kraken X52 OS WIndows 10 Pro

Keyboard Arachnid Recore - Cherry MX Red Mouse Corsair M45  !!--GTA V--!!  

I work as a consulting engineer and make roughly 10x what my older brother makes.  His computer is better than mine.  But as a general rule, your hobbies should not take more than about 2% or 3% of your income, IMO.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

Just now, CostcoSamples said:

But as a general rule, your hobbies should not take more than about 2% or 3% of your income, IMO.

its about 95% of what i have ever made... xD 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

i work in a supermarket for £6 an hour and saved 2000 for a good setup

took a while as i do around 16 hours a week but might be something to go off of, especially if you have less responsibilities, it will take less time

2 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

its about 95% of what i have ever made... xD 

That's crazy!  I mean, if you are young and have no responsibilities I could see maybe up to 20%, but 95%!!!  Build some wealth man!  hobbies are pure consumption.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

Just now, CostcoSamples said:

That's crazy!  I mean, if you are young and have no responsibilities I could see maybe up to 20%, but 95%!!!  Build some wealth man!  hobbies are pure consumption.

eheheh... yah its bad... the amount of other fun shit i could have done... thinking about it makes it all feel so stupid, but as mentioned i have spent around €4500 on computers but i have stoped that, i really need to get a grip on my spending tbh

Builds:

Spoiler

I am 17. I run a website business as well as mow lawns. This past summer I made around $2000 CAD making websites and around $1000 CAD mowing lawns. Besides that there is just general money and stuff I pick up around the year doing odd jobs and birthday money and such. That would probably be around $500 CAD.

PC: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/mpsparrow/saved/cRgbvK

I also got a used server ($300) and put some spare parts together to build a second desktop ($100).

1 hour ago, KyberKylo77 said:

I'm just curious what PC specs people are able to afford with their current jobs and hopefully get a grasp on what i'd wanna work as to afford my very expensive yet fun hobby :)

This isn't something that one can definitively answer.  Cause it's not a single factor thing.

Where do they live?  Cost of living varies by region.  (My rent for a one bedroom apartment in Toronto is more than the monthly mortgage fees on my parent's entire three bedroom house in a much smaller city)
How much debt to they have to maintain?  Student debt, mortgages and other things have dramatic influence on one's expendable income.
Are they single?  Married?  Kids?  Both single individuals and DINKS (Dual Income, No Kids) generally have more expendable income where as having dependents and children eat up income.

So 'Salary vs Computer' is not an accurate way to estimate what kind of computer (or anything) that you could afford.

It's not really based off of that.  It's all about saving money.

You budget how much extra money you can set aside a month to just spend, or do whatever you want.  Save that towards building an awesome new PC.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

21, I own an auto performance Fab shop, I average $63/h

Main System:

i7-6700k

1080Ti SLI

32GB Team Group DDR4

ASRock Z170 Extreme 7+

Work system: 

i76950X

Titan X(Pascal) SLI

64GB Samsung DDR4

Asus X99-E WS

But this isn't really a good reference since income alone isn't the singular factor in ones lives

Job is in my profile. I make 11.25$/hr and work 30-40 hour weeks. My system specs are in my signature. The PC cost around 1300$

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AX1600i owner. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_GMev0EwK37J3zZL98zIqF-OSBuHlFEHmrc_SPuYsjs/edit?usp=sharing My WIP Power Supply Guide.

I'm a HVAC application engineer. Although I built the desktop I have now with money I made in the summers while still in college I've pretty much only bought laptops since graduating. Although I'm not that efficient with spending as I swap hardware and do craigslist trades all the time and I don't always end up ahead, I just like having different hardware to play with regardless of if it's better than what I already have.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

22, Sys admin, high five figures. I’ve got my main rig, a gaming laptop, and a rack with a a bunch of servers sitting in it. 

Main rig: i7 6700, RX580x2 CF, 32 GB ram 128 GB Sata sss

laptop: Alienware 15R3 1070 + MacBook Pro retina 15jnch mid 2014 

servers

Nas : 2x xeon 2670, 64GB DDR3, Unraid 40TB effective 

4TBx6 + 2TBx10 disks 

main VM host:

hp 380 dlp Gen 8 

2x Xeon 2650 v2 , 144 GB DDR3, VMware ESXI6.0 

backup host:hp 380 dlp Gen 6

2x Xeon e5520, 64 GB DDR3, Windows server 2k12 datacenter 

iscsi host for VM servers: 

Dell R710 

2x Xeon e5540, 64GB DDR3, 2TBx6 sas drives  in raid 10 

Main System:

i7 6700, 32GB DDR3, AMD Rx 580x2 CF, 480GB HyperX SSD

Work System:

i7 4790, 32GB DDR3, AMD Rx 480, 120GB HyperX SSD

Main storage Server/ backup compute node:

2x Xeon 2670 2.6Ghz (16 cores total ), 144GB  ECC DDR3, 16x4TB WD RED in RAID 6, 2x480GB HyperX SSD in RAID 1 

Main compute node: 

HP 380dlp gen8 2x xeon 2650 V2s 144GB DDR3 ECC, 25x 120GB hyperx v4 ssds

Old Gaming System/mining rig:

i5 2400, 16GB DDR3, 5x rx 480 , 120GB HyperX SSD

27. Freelance IT, making between 27-42K a year depending on how many jobs I get. Used to work at Walmart as a part time secondary job until 6 months ago when I finally got burned out.

Saved up for my current rig over the course of 11 months. Ate cheap and lived very cheap in the meantime (used to it).

Currently majoring in physics to eventually go into radiology. 1 year to go for my BS. Late start because of RL problems.

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

Am 19, saved for 2 years + summer job, bought PC with 7600K and gtx 1070, also bought 165 hz 1440p IPS monitor.

38, I'm an operations foreman on the docks.  I make a good living and love to buy new toys.

My current gaming PC is...

Asus Z370-E gaming mobo with an 8700K.  Cooled by a thermalright 3.0 360 rad.  

16GB DDR 3200mhz and an EVGA GTX 1080TI SC2 all stuffed into a Corsair 900D and a 1200 watt corsair power supply (ran sli on old system).  

My laptop is a clevo build with a 7820HK, gtx 1070, 16gb ram and a 120hz screen.

Back in Mexico I was making about $200 a week doing IT work. Since I lived with my parents I spent almost no money in food and other basic stuff, so I had quite a bit of money for myself. 

You can see my PC’s specs in my signature. 

ZamoRIG 2.0:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.9GHz

Cooling: DeepCool Captain 240 RGB + 2x Corsair ML120 fans

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming x2 

Motherboard: Asrock X370 Gaming K4 

RAM: 2x8GB DDR4 G Skill Ripjaws V Grey @ 2800MHz 

SSDs: 2xPatriot Ignite M.2 240GB

HDD: WD Black 1TB + WD Green 2TB

PSU: Corsair RM750

Case: Corsair Carbide 400C

ZamoRIG “Portable”:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @ 4GHz

Cooling: Corsair H80i 

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350N Gaming WiFi

RAM: 1x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance  @ 2400MHz 

SSD: Patriot Ignite M.2 240GB 

HDD: 2TB 2.5” Seagate HDD 

PSU: Corsair TX650M 

Case: Siverstone SG13

10 hours ago, dizmo said:

I'd say that's pretty damn impressive actually :P Most people making that at your age wouldn't be able to save or budget that well.

Best time to learn and build habits is when you're young ;)

Thats easy, just depend of your parents for food and your good.

10 hours ago, mpsparrow said:

I am 17. I run a website business as well as mow lawns. This past summer I made around $2000 CAD making websites and around $1000 CAD mowing lawns. Besides that there is just general money and stuff I pick up around the year doing odd jobs and birthday money and such. That would probably be around $500 CAD.

PC: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/mpsparrow/saved/cRgbvK

I also got a used server ($300) and put some spare parts together to build a second desktop ($100).

1k out of moving lawns? Well, thats a first xD

My current contract ends on the 17th of November. I found a possible contracting Job, It's around 2 hours away from London. (Birmingham, where I used to study) It's Network Security and the pay is around £1000 a week and the contract is for 6-8 months.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

On £45000 as a business analyst, PC was around £3k at the time (4 years ago), thinking about upgrading next year for another £3ish k

18 hours ago, KyberKylo77 said:

I'm just curious what PC specs people are able to afford with their current jobs and hopefully get a grasp on what i'd wanna work as to afford my very expensive yet fun hobby :)

Here is the thing... You're only looking at one out of many factors.

Obviously salary is related to how much money you have to spend on your hobby, but so is where you live, how much you spend on other hobbies, your relationship status, other people you provide for (aka, kids), how much do you spend on food, do you have any debt you're paying back, and the list goes on and on and on.

Not only that, but not everyone spends an equal % on their hobbies. The money I spend on my computers vs the money I earned have not had a correlation.

When I went to school I saved up christmas money and such over long periods of time and then spend that on computer stuff every once in a while. I had 0 salary and despite that my current comptuer is only roughtly 50% more expensive than the first one I built.

1000 euros back then (Christmas money and such). 1500 euros today (with well paying job, lots of saved cash in the bank and so on).

Could I have afforded something better than a 1060? Absolutely. I could have afforded two Titans if I wanted. But I don't, because I think it is a colossal waste of money and in a few years the value will ahve dropped like a rock (several of my friends in high school learned this the hard way. My 1000 euro PC beat the crap out of their 1.5 year old 2500 euro computers in every single way).

Also, you really shouldn't pick your job based on how much money it will allow you to spend on your hobbies. Pick something you enjoy doing instead.