RumorTT: DICE won't be developing the next Battlefield game

mgsstar

This is quite the rumor, but according to Wedbush Morgan analyst, Michael Pachter, DICE won't be developing the next Battlefield title. This is interesting, especially because it's EA.

34293_01_rumortt_dice_won_t_be_developin

Pachter said in a note to the press: "We spoke with management on Thursday afternoon, and although they have not yet announced a version of Battlefield for FY15, they confirmed that our understanding is spot on and that if a version of Battlefield were to be released in FY15, it would be developed by a studio other than DICE."

This would make sense, if EA wanted to pump out annual Battlefield games, like Activision does with Call of Duty. It would make more sense, because EA has killed off the Medal of Honor franchise, and doesn't have two military shooters to go back-to-back every alternate year. But, would it water down the Battlefield franchise, or would it help it flourish?

Visceral Games is not a sub-tier developer, as Dead Space is one of the strongest franchises on the market, and is loved across the world on all platforms. I think I would like to see what Visceral could add to the game, but personally, I want to get away from these 'purchase X game now for $59, then purchase Y game in 12 months time for $59.'

Give me a yearly Battlefield subscription for $59.99, that gives me all Battlefield games as they come out - all DLC, all extras - no matter the developer, and I'll be happy. That way, if I want to skip it because it isn't as good as DICE's magic, I can - without spending money on something I don't enjoy.

Source:http://www.tweaktown.com/news/34293/rumortt-dice-won-t-be-developing-the-next-battlefield-game/index.html

If we have another developer creating a new Battlefield, would you think it would have more bugs or fewer bugs that what DICE did? Vote in the poll above

I think that this will help Battlefield flourish if they used an engine that was way more superior to Frostbite.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Same amount of bugs. But I do hope they have the same amount of quality.

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Umm, there are lots of bugs because EA forced them to rush it so that it would come out before Ghosts....

So what's the excuse for BF3, BC2, Bf2142, BF2, and BF1942 being buggy as all hell at release?

So what's the excuse for BF3, BC2, Bf2142, BF2, and BF1942 being buggy as all hell at release?

"Ooops, a few thing must've slipped...."

This could be either the best or the worst thing to ever happen to Battlefield. It will be interesting to see if this is true or not.

EDIT: For the sake of all LTT Dark Theme users, please remove the horrid text formatting. 

Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition █ CPU: Intel i7-4790K █ GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 780Ti █ RAM: 8GB AVEXIR DDR3 1600  █ Storage: 120GB Kingston HyperX SSD + 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD 

█ Monitor: 21.5" 1080p 60Hz  PSU: 700w █ Case: Fractal Define R4 █       ...LTT Dark Theme master race.

Project MiniConsole

Similar to predicting black friday sales, "nobody knows."

Personally I wouldn't mind as long as they can match DICE in terms of quality. The last thing I'd like to see happen is to see the Battlefiend franchise fall into the same trap that CoD did, that trap being the Infinity Ward - Treyarch cycle.

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

Battlefield shouldn't be an annual franchise! It's a quality game that pushes limits every release, if it were to become an annual franchise, it would turn into a giant mount of crap. I hate annual franchises.

That's disappointing.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

Battlefield is DICE's baby.

2500k 4.0ghz,GTX 1070 oc,MSI Z77A-GD55,G.SKILL Ripjaws(4 x 2GB)DDR3 1333,OCZ Arc 100 240gb,Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB,Corsair TX 750w v1,CoolerMaster HAF 912,Hyper 212 EVO

I honestly want BF series just to dig a hole and die in it; don't get me wrong, I play all of it except bf4 post release - yet, but it has certainly became a horrible cesspit of money grabbing tool implemented by the covetous EA with backward moral standing.

The same thing will happen again, bugs and money money so no, just let BF die, make a new game start fresh.

Check out the build: Used to be Obot, now Lilith

Shameless: Me

Imagine Crytek making BF5 :D

Even if every major company would help to make it EA would still fuck it up soo bad...

DICE need to move to under Valve wings and make new FPS...

<p>Eryi's Action Rule#2 - "Dont jump on the green mushroom"

Ministry of StopIt!

I was going to say it....Or just Dice using the CRY Engine it would be epic!!  

CPU Ryzen 5 Asrock B350 Pro 4 / MSI RX580 Gaming / RAM 16 Gigs Corsair Vengeance 3000 / HDD 1TB Seagate Barracuda / SSD Samsung 840 120GB / 500GB Samsung SSD / Case Urban S31 / PSU EVGA G2 750w / Os Windows 10 / Keyboard Corsair K70 / Mouse Razer Naga 2013 (Won it from Linus!!

I'm tired of BF anyway. I might(MIGHT) get bf4 but if i will than I would want it to be the last BF game I get at least in a long time, I want to take at least a good 3 year break from BF :P, or maybe I wont ever come back to BF.

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

I'm tired of BF anyway. I might(MIGHT) get bf4 but if i will than I would want it to be the last BF game I get at least in a long time, I want to take at least a good 3 year break from BF :P, or maybe I wont ever come back to BF.

Why?

"Analysts" are wrong 99% of the time, and they'll be wrong this time.

The only reason it's so broken is because EA forced it out to beat Ghosts.

It would have fewer, but it wouldnt use the frostbite engine anymore, unless it uses cryengine it wouldnt be too good, the reason for the glitches is fucking EA forcing the game out before its bloody finished.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

It would have fewer, but it wouldnt use the frostbite engine anymore, unless it uses cryengine it wouldnt be too good, the reason for the glitches is fucking EA forcing the game out before its bloody finished.

EA's logic is that if you release first, people will buy you.

EA's logic is that if you release first, people will buy you.

Im surprised they didnt lock onto the borderlands idea, both borderlands games came out in march, jack shit comes out in march, id rather spend £40(dont worry i didnt get cod) in october and wait to march to spend another £40 for a finished fucking game.

Borderlands 1 and 2 both hit  the market in march and both were sold out for a while because people wanted something new to play, instead of undercutting cod by two weeks, undercut them by 7 months.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Why?

I dunno. I just am. Plus I like infantry shooters more I guess. I know there are infantry based game modes in BF but the true and best BF experience is playing on a Conquest server in a big map where there is lots of vehicles and infantry.

Gona go back to CS i guess. And try Skyrim. hmmm

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

The only reason it's so broken is because EA forced it out to beat Ghosts.

That's wrong. Even BF3 still has major issues, but there was no competitor to beat for two years. DICE's incompetence is the problem, and their disregard of user feedback. For two years, we BF3 players complained for example about the net code/server lags. Not only didn't they manage to ignore that all the time, they made it even worse in BF4.

THIS SIGNATURE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

If the did that, then we would lose the ability to play the game if we don't have the latest hardware.

Just look what they did to Crysis, the Crysis 3 is a poorly optimized, wasteland on the multiplayer scene, and the single player mode is sub par as well, any crysis game before the 3, was better ( even crysis 2 that people disliked so much because of DX 9 and late DX 11 update ), and that is my problem, i have over 120h in crysis 3 and i stopped playing, because BF3 got me over to play it, even with worse graphics, it did not matter, the game is awesome.

I don't like studio changes, because every studio has it's own philosophy and the game can look and feel like something that has the same name, but does not have the feel of the original. 

My personally best example is the the Devil May Cry franchise, 1, 2 and 3 were good games ( 2nd was the worst of the 3, but still good ), The 4th game was boring, we lost the ability to play the main character of the franchise in 70% of the game. And now they introduced us to the "new" game Devil May Cry: DMC, when you look at how it looks, the design decisions the new game looks laughable, not to mention they changed character personalities so much that i started to consider DMC a dead franchise.

Crytek is good, but the lack of understanding that their game should be played on a wide range of components is their downfall, not everyone can buy a 780Ti, even Crysis 1 today is hard to run on modern multi core PC-s, they advertised the game plays best on Core 2 Extreme, a quad core, and it turned out that a dual core with higher clocks was a better option ( not to mention cheaper ), Crytek is notorious for bad optimization

System

CPU: i7 4770kMotherboard: Asus Maximus VI HeroRAM: HyperX KHX318C9SRK4/32 - 32GB DDR3-1866 CL9 / GPU: Gainward Geforce GTX 670 Phantom Case: Cooler Master HAF XBStorage: 1 TB WD BluePSU: Cooler Master V-650sDisplay(s): Dell U2312HM, LG194WT, LG E1941

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15Keyboard: Logitech G710+Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus SpectrumSound: Focusrite 2i4 - USB DAC / OS: Windows 7 (still holding on XD)

the users on this forum get more facepalm worthy every freaking day

did you kids even bother reading the article and what Michael Pachter had to say?

it's pretty much saying that analysts, investors, and DICE themselves all agree that BF is not an ANNUAL RELEASE (AS IN NOT MILKED LIKE CALL OF DUTY)

Battlefield 4 just came out for 2014............so...

Pachter said in a note to the press: "We spoke with management on Thursday afternoon, and although they have not yet announced a version of Battlefield for FY15, they confirmed that our understanding is spot on and that if a version of Battlefield were to be released in FY15, it would be developed by a studio other than DICE."

FY15
FY15
FY15
FY15

so again, if Battlefield 4 FINALLY came out in 2014......are we expecting a Battlefield in 2015? well, definitely not from DICE....because....uhh, Battlefield 4 FINALLY came out in 2014 with tons of DLC on the roadmap. so are we expecting DICE to make a NEW Battlefield for 2015?

how is that so hard to understand.............

/FACEDESK

that would be the time when i find something else to do with my life

Real programmers don't document, if it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.
I've learned that something constructive comes from every defeat.