Diagnosing a screentearing-related problem on 144hz.

Hello everyone,

I am sorry to be bothering you with my problems. I searched for quite a bit but i couldn't find anything purely related to what i am experiencing, so this is why i am making this thread. 

What my problem is : 
There is quite a bit of screen-tearing on my new 144hz monitor. Moving my mouse in counterstrike, for example, feels butter-smooth, but when i slow down to moving my mouse a couple of cm at a time or moving in-game (aka objects on screen moving at a reasonably slow pace), i can see that there is quite a lot of screen tearing. So much so that i cannot play the game. The game feels choppy because when i move around, close by objects are clearly choppy due to screen tearing and it just feels unresponsive, having buttery-smooth camera movement from the mouse alongside a choppy world.

What i have done to test this :
I tested it around with different resolutions, different hadrware, different framerates, vsync on and off, different monitor settings, different games and compared it to a 60hz monitor. Since i mostly tested this in Counter-Strike, ill write what the results are, but i opened up dota 2 and it was kind of visible there too. I am getting 280-320fps in counter-strike and i've tried maxing it out to 60,120,144 via a console command, ive tried putting on vsync, i tried doing the same on my laptop and the tearing seems to be there all the time. I can't notice any bothersome tearing @ 60hz on my other monitor with 300fps, yet i can notice a fair bit of it on this new 144hz one. I recorded it slow mo (120fps) with my phone and it is tearing. I tried the HDMI port via my laptop and the DP port via my PC.

What i am here for :
I dont know how to even precisely explain what the problem is, but it seems to me that it is a monitor problem. How do i diagnose the problem and check if it is a game/hardware problem or if it is the monitor that is at fault? My GPU on my PC is totally dying, but its still pumping out these frames and i did test it with my laptop too....

You can watch the following videos i took with my phone (yes, i know that the quality is terrible, but you gotta do what you gotta do with what you have) :
You can put them on 0.25x speed to see it better, i dont have these fancy phantom cameras with 10000fps ;(

Thank you in advance for taking your time to read through my problem!

You have to set refresh rate to 144Hz in desktop first.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

I am knowledgeable in hardware/software. No need to ask "did you try turning it off and on again" or similar questions.That being said, I have set it to 144hz in desktop and i have separately forced the game to run at 144hz. 

5 minutes ago, Nathraichean said:

I am knowledgeable in hardware/software. No need to ask "did you try turning it off and on again" or similar questions.That being said, I have set it to 144hz in desktop and i have separately forced the game to run at 144hz. 

Ok, attending to you "I know how to handle myself here" I will not ask about any on/off stuff plus others xD But have you checked Nvidia control panel? Don't know the simil in AMD cards. But check there which setting do you have under vertycal sync option. Your monitor is not gsync right? 

It has FreeSync, but although my GPU has an ATI chip, it does not support it since its quite a bit old now (HD7950). I hadn't tested gpu software vsync, but i just did and its the same.

edit : Also, i did not mean to be mean, but i wanted to point out that i am oriented regarding these stuff so no need to ask about the basic stuff.

1 minute ago, Nathraichean said:

It has FreeSync, but although my GPU has an ATI chip, it does not support it since its quite a bit old now (HD7950). I hadn't tested gpu software vsync, but i just did and its the same.

Mmmmm under options in Cs:go fullscreen, borderless. etc? have you tried changing this? 

IT you never know -_-xD 

Just now, Karl Sven said:

Mmmmm under options in Cs:go fullscreen, borderless. etc? have you tried changing this? 

Yes, i have. I thought of mentioning it, but it seems that i have forgotten.

Which cable are you using to connect the monitor to the GPU? 

Change it if you can and try it out to see if the problem persists 

Which cable are you using to connect the monitor to the GPU? 

I have written that i have tested HDMI through my laptop and DP 1.2 through my PC.

2 minutes ago, Nathraichean said:

I have written that i have tested HDMI through my laptop and DP 1.2 through my PC.

Have you tried to cap the FPS to 140? Since you're getting 300+

I think that might be the problem, since you hace no freesync activated. The comm. between the card and the monitor as such high frame rate could be a mess. 

Have you tried to cap the FPS to 140? Since you're getting 300+

I have also written that i have tried capping it to 60, 120, 143 and 144 in game.

I'm from Sweden so as long as you didn't wrote the word "cap" but "maxed out" was unsure you did it.

And try to be nice, I've answered you 5 times in record time trying to help ;) you have a pretty tricky stuff here with a no less longer description.

The monitor could just be defectuous. And try to cap the frames with a third party program, use to work better.

I tried keeping it structured with not a lot of unnecessary information. I did notice upon second reading that i wrote maxed out instead of capped out, but i thought it was understandable.I haven't gone out of my way to show disrespect or unthankfulness, sorry if i did. I just tested borderlands 2 and it seems to have a similar problem, though i struggled to notice it because of the nature of the game. I just go in front of a wall and move left and right and look at the wall. The wall looks like its lagging. Not quite lagging, but its certainly jittery and unsmooth moving, unlike looking around with the mouse. Here are some additional pictures i took from the vids -

Shouldnt be this bad on a 144hz monitor imho

Normal frame transition - 
unknown.png

Bad tearing - 
unknown.png

I am not sure if this is a game limitation or a problem. It might just be the games' problem as in the character's movement isn't smooth, but rather it teleports forward at very small equal intervals. Example - to move 1 meter, the character goes through 60 positions and on a 144hz monitor it might feel jittery.  Who knows....

56 minutes ago, L.Lawliet said:

1.Set your refresh rate through windows display settings to 144hz

2.If your fps goes beyond 144fps(hz) then there will be tearing

3.So limit your framerate to 143fps using whatever option available, In game fps limiter work the best or use msi afterburners+ Riva static tuner to limit your framerate (always worked according to my exp)

4.If your monitor support Free or G Sync u'll need to finds out the Free/G sync Range..for example my monitor which is LG 22MP68VQ has a free sync range from 40-75Hz so if your framerate goes beyond the maximum limit or goes down below 40fps then there will be tearing.

5.Use QUOTE so we can notice u

I've done all of these. You see, my problem isnt actually tearing, but rather the game-world feeling choppy. Camera movement feels smoother than a DSLR lens' surface, but moving alonside a wall feels jittery. The world around me feels like it is 60 fps, even though i know that it is not. I just think that tearing is causing this issue, since tearing means loss of frames. But it is very consistent and i cant really tell that it is tearing with the naked eye ( except in some situations ). It feels as if the world is skipping some frames (and thus i think its tearing ). I tested the same monitor on 60hz and watching a corner whilst i move feels smooth. Its certainly getting blurry, though, but smooth. On 144hz, on the other hand, there is less blur, but it feels like that corner is moving on notches.

Here is a visual representation : 
If the leftmost line is a representation of a corner in game and the other lines are the same corner's position after i move and the line of rows representing the corner's whole movement on my screen relative to my movement, the top one feels jittery as i can notice that corner skipping some frames and it feels sluggish, but the bottom one (60hz), while it is more blurry, i cant make out skipped frames and it becomes a fluid movement of the corner on my screen as i move in game, so it doesnt feel jittery. I dont know if explained it well, but i guess i can try again after your response on this.
image.png.680c74ef904e42a54535640aed6ccc25.png

Are you using multiple displays? For example one 144Hz and secondary 60Hz?

I would highly recommend you to disable Windows 10 Fast Startup in Control Panel as that may cause many stuttering related issues in most games (usually on NVIDIA hardware though, it will also require a restart of the PC), also disable Game Bar, Game DVR and Game Mode in Windows 10.

29 minutes ago, L.Lawliet said:

Micro stuttering would affect my camera too. If i were moving my character and the world seems choppy, the camera would feel choppy too, but it doesnt. I'll make a gif to explain it further.

9 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Are you using multiple displays? For example one 144Hz and secondary 60Hz?

I would highly recommend you to disable Windows 10 Fast Startup in Control Panels as that may cause many stuttering related issues in most games (usually on NVIDIA hardware though, it will also require a restart of the PC), also disable Game Bar, Game DVR and Game Mode in Windows 10.

I am using a 60hz monitor alongside a 144hz. The 144hz one became a main one because valve games dont have a "choose monitor to play your game on" option. I've disabled those last ones in win10 but i dont know what win 10 fast startup is. Ill check it up.

P.S.: Game is on an ssd. but i still have my windows 10 on my HDD from pre-ssd-upgrade and it has a separate steam and csgo installed there.
It would also seem that i have hibernate turned off so i dont have that fast startup

10 minutes ago, Nathraichean said:

I am using a 60hz monitor alongside a 144hz. The 144hz one became a main one because valve games dont have a "choose monitor to play your game on" option. I've disabled those last ones in win10 but i dont know what win 10 fast startup is. Ill check it up.

There is an issue in Windows Desktop Management since Windows 8, 8.1, 10 because Microsoft merged DWM with the Desktop Composition (Desktop Composition could be turned off in Windows 7) which makes Windows to apply V-Sync across everything OS related like moving icons, flashing notifications, etc..., this V-Sync cannot be disabled and if you play in Windowed/Borderless mode on the 144Hz monitor and you have some animation running on the 60Hz monitor it will cause weird tearing and stuttering on your main monitor as Windows is trying to unsuccessfully sync it with 60Hz instead of 144Hz.

This is usually fixed by playing in the FullScreen mode but you may still experience this issue unless you globally disable V-Sync trough the GPU driver for all running applications.

Since you are using AMD Card, I am not sure if you have this option to do it but on NVIDIA cards it can be easily done via the NVIDIA Control Panel. After disabling this V-Sync you will have to restart every application that was previously running otherwise the V-Sync will be still applied to it (or just restart PC).

Give it a shot, this may fix it... unless your issue is something entirely else.

1 minute ago, WereCat said:

I noticed a similar thing while i tried to record it with obs. If i had obs on my 60hz monitor to look if its recording whilst the game is on the 144hz monitor, the game would play @ 60hz, but if obs remained on the 144hz monitor, the game would remain 144hz. Cant i just unplug the 60hz monitor to see if that helps it? I doubt it. I will still make a gif later to show what my problem is.

Just now, Nathraichean said:

I noticed a similar thing while i tried to record it with obs. If i had obs on my 60hz monitor to look if its recording whilst the game is on the 144hz monitor, the game would play @ 60hz, but if obs remained on the 144hz monitor, the game would remain 144hz. Cant i just unplug the 60hz monitor to see if that helps it? I doubt it. I will still make a gif later to show what my problem is.

Yes, unplugging monitor would work (just turning it off wouldn't).

And yes, what you experienced with OBS its exactly what I am talking about.

@WereCat
Unplugging didnt work. I checked on my other operating system, still didnt work. 

Here is the visual example - Top is 144hz, bottom is 60hz. Its not quite THAT visible, but lets say it feels the same as the top one. In the gif the bottom one which is 60hz looks smoother because the jittery-ness is blurry, so it doesnt feel choppy, but on the 144hz above i can see choppyness and i can feel it while moving around.

mpQK6i9.gif

What monitor is this, could be shitty panel. Could be bad overdrive or ghosting.

Also I know exactly what's going on, I only have a 60hz panel but I experience it too sometimes. And I have no idea why it happens. It just comes itself. For csgo that is.

Judgin' by what I've seen I may ask you Do you tried to use another 144Hz monitor on your PC? (borrow from some friend idk). My recommendation is use another 144Hz to "calibrate" your PC (and test it aswell) then plug your HP monitor back and see if you can see any difference.