[emergency] How to clean a PCB for cheap

The worst thing has happened around 5 minutes ago....

I got a soda spill on my mech kb...

I panicked, un plugged as soon as it happened and disassembled it completely.

Now, I've found sticky residue on the PCB.

is there a way to clean it "for cheap"?

l've read about the "toothbrush + 96% Isopropyl alcohol" combo, but I want to be sure it wont break anything else...

and yes.. i'm this unlucky.

(this never happened to me... and it had to happen to my first mech KB....)

Spacebar bestbar

-blocko

toothbrush + Isopropyl alcohol won't break anything else unless you put too much pressure when scrubbing it, a few gentle.. strokes?.. should do the job and not cause anymore damage.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

1 minute ago, XriderX said:

The worst thing has happened around 5 minutes ago....

I got a soda spill on my mech kb...

I panicked, un plugged as soon as it happened and disassembled it completely.

Now, I've found sticky residue on the PCB.

is there a way to clean it "for cheap"?

l've read about the "toothbrush + 96% Isopropyl alcohol" combo, but I want to be sure it wont break anything else...

and yes.. i'm this unlucky.

(this never happened to me... and it had to happen to my first mech KB....)

Soft toothbrush and 99%+ isopropyl but that's the best I know.

I edit my posts a lot.

The soda might need water to clean off... But you've got to be careful, obviously. Water won't harm anything unless its powered on, so as long as you make sure everything's dry, it'll be fine. I'm just worried about the switches though, they might be hard to dry out without an air compressor

What the other guys said, soft toothbrush and isopropyl alcool (90%+ is recommended) used that before and it works.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

thanks for the quick feedback. I almost get a heart attack when it happened....

2 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

The soda might need water to clean off... But you've got to be careful, obviously. Water won't harm anything unless its powered on, so as long as you make sure everything's dry, it'll be fine. I'm just worried about the switches though, they might be hard to dry out without an air compressor

this is the part that worries me the most..I have a can of compressed air.. but I hope the switches aren't super damaged..

it is a sad day for me friends,

well. I guess i'll go back to my membrane for the time being.

huge thanks !

/thread

Spacebar bestbar

-blocko

Just now, XriderX said:

thanks for the quick feedback. I almost get a heart attack when it happened....

this is the part that worries me the most..I have a can of compressed air.. but I hope the switches aren't super damaged..

it is a sad day for me friends,

well. I guess i'll go back to my membrane for the time being.

huge thanks !

/thread

Just a headsup, if you end up cleaning the switches you might need to relube them. This is so the switches are nicer to press down.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

3 minutes ago, geo3 said:

If you have a top plate there's no way you'll get in there to clean it. Will need to desolder all the switches to get it off. And I'd be worried about having gummed up a switch or stabilizer too,

oh well gg.. using a quickfire tk... fml.

I can only clean the back of the pcb. :(:(

Spacebar bestbar

-blocko

one time i spilt an entire smoothie on my keyboard and it just dried up and it was fine if that helps you at all

10 minutes ago, cl4nk said:

one time i spilt an entire smoothie on my keyboard and it just dried up and it was fine if that helps you at all

I feel like you lucked out there... lol. Best to be careful around expensive PC parts!

6 hours ago, cl4nk said:

yeah... I'd rather clean it as good as possible...

this is he first time I have a mishap..and it had to be on my most expensive peripheral ever. 

xD I'm doing the cleaning while checking the replies here.

I wont assemble the keyboard until everything is as clean as possible + see what lube I can get for the switches (just in case)

good thing I have my previous keyboard...

(it feels.....weird to type on a membrane again...)

=======

I just cleaned the back of the pcb, the casing and the keycaps..

now, I wait (at least 2 days) so everything dries out and plug it again :crossed_fingers:

p.s.: It seems I lost one of the f*** rubber pads....my day couldn't be any better....I found it... phew 

Spacebar bestbar

-blocko