What pro gamers use?

Mike57v

Hey, sorry for posting something I am sure was mentioned few times, but I am able to find only "Gaming" monitor rather then Progaming.

Question is simple, with the monitors like asus ROG pg279q using IPS however on 4ms gtg, is it something you would consider for pro gamer or the 4ms is too much sacrifice and TN panel would still be the way to go? In general I am looking for good 144hz, low input lag, low gtg, 1080p or qhd (not really too worried there as I prefer 1080p anyway for stable fps). So the two questions I am not decided on are the size as it seems that compact 24 offers more of glance functionality while 27 gives this closer view and the panel IPS or TN (comparing Asus ROG 278 and 279).

Honestly I am not pro gamer and I understand that this will not improve my skill whatever, I just prefer this over other stats.

What monitors would you guys recommend for pro-gaming right now? No budget

Thanks and sorry for repeating the topic, sure it was mentioned few times

samsung.JPG

Legitimately not joking, CRT is far superior to any flat screen technology when gaming.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

yep, that is understood, but not really an option ;] (actually I am from country where, sadly, it might be an option, but lets not go that direction)

The majority of pro FPS gamers prefer 24" 1080p displays to keep the most amount of the game in peripheral vision as possible, without sacrificing detail. 144Hz is a given, and gsync/freesync isn't absolutely necessary, but is a great feature to have. If you haven't used an IPS panel for an extended period of time before, chances are you won't be disappointed with a TN panel anyway. After all, you get use to whatever you're using pretty quickly. Unless you have a need for an IPS panel or the colour representation is important to you, it's just an added cost. Some people will notice the increased gtg input lag, but it's not substantial.

Case Design | CAD | Custom Watercooling Parts | Loop Design | Cable Sleeving and Management 

Fittings Guide  |  Most recent completed build: Glass & Aluminium  |  Current build(s): Project Starscream

GTG is the most pointless and useless thing ever to consider when shopping for a monitor, it is not the true input delay, it's just the time it takes the monitor to shift from black to White entirely on individual pixels, any thing equal or lower to 5ms is enough to avoid the only issue it could cause: ghosting.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

15 minutes ago, AperumDesign said:

gsync/freesync isn't absolutely necessary

If we are talking about being extremely competitive, GSync/FreeSync have to be turned off, even if you can use them. 

They don’t have as much input lag as VSync, in fact, it is near to none, but it’s still something and you don’t want it. 

Edit: In esports titles your frames would never drop below the screen refreshrate anyway (if you have a competitive rig). 

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

the #ms thing is a marketing gimmick. I'd call it a lie when used in regards to input latency/controller lag.
As someone else mentioned it's the time taken to switch from one colour to another. Nothing to do with how fast you click or move your mouse. This would explain it better. All you need to focus on really is FPS and the size of the display.

Current Build

CPU: AMD Ryzen9 5900X

CPU Cooler: Deepcool Gamerstorm Captain 240 Pro

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX X470 Gaming-F

Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 4x8GB

Video Card: Asus Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB STRIX Gaming OC

Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P400 ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 850W 80+ Gold Fully Modular

Case Fans: 2x Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM 78.7 CFM  140mm Fan

Monitor: HP x34

LG 29UM69G      

Mouse: Razer Basilisk

Razer Naga Epic Chroma     

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2

Keypad: Razer Orbweaver Chroma Stealth

Controller: Razer Wolverine Ultimate
Headphones: Audio Technica ATH M50xBT Ltd Edition Purple

Speakers: Logitech Z200 2ch Speakers

difference between gtg and input lag is clear and understood. Again, just looking for the best option here for competitive gaming. While bellow 5 ms for gtg should be sufficient, there is no reason why not to get rid of the potential issue by using TN with 1 unless IPS can provide other benefit and beside shiny colors I havent found anything (thats why the question as I might be missing something, not really my cup of tea). You absolutely right that gsync wont be used anyway since the intended games will be anyway limited to lower fps then the "rig" can handle so its fine there and all set to 144 fro that fluffy feeling. This is just to find something really good for specific purpose.

BTW, thanks for all the input, great this community is alive :D

Thanks Lawliet, the question is more IPS or TN for pro gaming monitor :]

So far it seems that most pro players would still go for TN while players that want to have best experience would go for IPS

1 minute ago, Mike57v said:

Thanks Lawliet, the question is more IPS or TN for pro gaming monitor :]

So far it seems that most pro players would still go for TN while players that want to have best experience would go for IPS

TN for pro-gaming. 144-240hz. <5ms.