My Tower Fell, and it’s tempered glass

So I had my tempered glass case on my desk. It’s the Phanteks Enthloo Evolv ATX

and it fell. The tempered glass broke into a million pieces of glass. It looked majestic for a brief part of a second which was ensued with great agony.

my specs are:

asus maximus ix hero

asus strix 1080ti

7700k i7

kraken x62

i guess thats the revelant part.

The glass is everywhere. I want to clean it, i need to check whats broken and what’s not (obviously the tempered glass Kappa) I’ll try to attach some picture BEWARE NSFL, anyone with a weak mind or stomach dont look, it’s gruesome, the insides are barexd.

i need to check the health of my product, need tips for cleaning. Should I use a vacuum ? Etc

I’ll update with the other side of the case, as i cant now. Because one side is shattered the other is intake with cracks.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Reasons I will never own a case with tempered glass side panel #1

Make sure to remove all of your hardware and disconnect your PSU (remove your socks too) before vacuuming anything. Make sure no glass got in the PSU before you attempt to use it. Shaking it around a little should reveal if it got any in it but it's very likely. Tempered glass breaks into thousands of pieces. You may want to void your warranty and remove the fan grill to pour glass out.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

A vacuum could create a static charge so I would not recommend that course of action. Thankfully glass isn't productive so if a piece is missed the only danger is to yourself when working with the computer. Removing the glass piece by piece would be ideal but that would take a while. That's all I got.

I still have no idea how people drop their cases off of their desk unless the desk physically broke. 

Magical Pineapples

shop vac , ground yourself cuz shopvac is zappy

idk why they use tempered glass on a pc case , it's not a car , plexi glass doesn't break 

1 minute ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Reasons I will never own a case with tempered glass side panel #1

1 minute ago, MrUnknownEMC said:

I still have no idea how people drop their cases off of their desk unless the desk physically broke. 

Tbh, I wasn’t the one who broke it.... 

1 minute ago, emosun said:

idk why they use tempered glass on a pc case , it's not a car , plexi glass doesn't break 

Exactly my thoughts.

get yourself a nice slab of smoked acrylic and whip up a more durable replacement window for it. 

Clean up all the big pieces, if you have strong tape use that. I'd completely disassemble the PC, then build it back up again.

Use a can of compressed air, and blow out the case onto a hard surface (hardwood or tile floor if you have it). Don't use a vacuum.

9 minutes ago, emosun said:

Plexiglass scratches a lot easier, whereas glass does not. I'd much prefer a tempered glass side panel just for that reason.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

5 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Plexiglass scratches a lot easier, whereas glass does not. I'd much prefer a tempered glass side panel just for that reason.

well...... one explodes when you drop it , one gets a scratch

Just now, emosun said:

well...... one explodes when you drop it , one gets a scratch

It can easily scratch just from handling it though. If it was just from falls of whatever that's fine, but just from brushing against other objects...I don't really consider that acceptable. I mean, the glasses in my cupboard are glass. They shatter when dropped. But I'm not about to swap them all out for plastic kiddy cups either ;)

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

9 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Clean up all the big pieces, if you have strong tape use that. I'd completely disassemble the PC, then build it back up again.

Use a can of compressed air, and blow out the case onto a hard surface (hardwood or tile floor if you have it). Don't use a vacuum.

I’ll get a new case. I’ll have to disassemble it.

But, I need to know nothing went into the GPU. After cleaning the glass. Is there a safe way to make sure it’s running? It wasn’t a cheap gpu so I’m trying to be very safe with it.

Having said that, I’d like to check its health now. Im in the process of cleaning it. at which point should I plug it in and check if eveything is running. I think the rgb lighting up will be a good indicator that all is good for the components?

1 minute ago, Etharos said:

I’ll get a new case. I’ll have to disassemble it.

But, I need to know nothing went into the GPU. After cleaning the glass. Is there a safe way to make sure it’s running? It wasn’t a cheap gpu so I’m trying to be very safe with it.

Having said that, I’d like to check its health now. Im in the process of cleaning it. at which point should I plug it in and check if eveything is running. I think the rgb lighting up will be a good indicator that all is good for the components?

I'd just shake out the GPU. You can remove the cooler if you're really worried, and it'd let you put on some new thermal paste at the same time.

I'd turn it on once you're sure the glass is removed from everything. Even if it means disassembling it. It's a lot of work, yes, but you should have been more careful around you PC and that's the price you have to pay :P

I don't think you'd need to buy a whole new case, I'd email the company. They should be able to send you a replacement panel.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, dizmo said:

It can easily scratch just from handling it though. If it was just from falls of whatever that's fine, but just from brushing against other objects...I don't really consider that acceptable. I mean, the glasses in my cupboard are glass. They shatter when dropped. But I'm not about to swap them all out for plastic kiddy cups either ;)

dont get me wrong I like that my car windows wont stab me in the neck when i get into an accident . Just kinda dumb to apply that tech to a pc case. sure it didn't stab his foot on the way down and safely broke , but a shattered window is worse than any scratch.

also I just use plexus on my cases , I got cases that are over 10 years old where the plexi glass looks fine when you use plexus or any other product on them.

How tf does a case just fall? Unless you have a cat and some flimsy tower, you have to put in some effort.