Unusually Cheap Power Suplies

Brennan808

Isn't that normal? Never really went into depth with gpus. 

"May your frame rates be high and your temperatures low"

I misread titles/posts way too often--correct me if I don't.

No thats a normal pice for a 450W PSU

IIRC, EVGA was caught cheating on the life-span of their power supplies.

I have one (this was before I knew) and I'm not impressed with it, It works, but I fear if I push it too hard it will fall over.

If you are not using a heavy GFX card, then it should be okay

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Just now, Jasun said:

Isn't that normal? Never really went into depth with gpus. 

Im talking about a power supply, wrong post?

Just now, Radium_Angel said:

I have one (this was before I knew) and I'm not impressed with it, It works, but I fear if I push it too hard it will fall over.

No this will be a system that will run 250w tops

1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

It has a 3 year warranty, if smth goes bad he can just return it.

then you should be okay with it

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 minute ago, Brennan808 said:

No this will be a system that will run 250w tops

It will be all right, its by evga and it's all u would need then, just don't cheap out even more on power supplies, that's a very bad idea.

3 minutes ago, TinyBolts said:

nope, look how many reviews, its all right. Its from EVGA, they make good ones.

Not all EVGA's power supplies are good, some(quite a few actually) of them are junk. 

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

Just now, RKRiley said:

Not all EVGA's power supplies are good, some of them are junk. 

yh, this one has a warranty, if its bad he can return... But if its rly bad it can do some bad stuff to the machine. The reviews say otherwise.

2 hours ago, TinyBolts said:

yh, this one has a warranty, if its bad he can return... But if its rly bad it can do some bad stuff to the machine. The reviews say otherwise.

They're user reviews. They don't mean anything as they don't use a load-tester.

2 hours ago, Brennan808 said:

I was looking for a power supply and found this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N9X3F8F/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1, its only $22 and it looks decent. Am i missing something?

It's cheap as it isn't really great, though not much is known about it. http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?p=138334

What are you powering?

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

So much wrong info.

Firstly, those 3000 user reviews aren't for that specific PSU. They are reviews for all EVGA B1, B3, B2, BQ, and BT power supplies. All of those, of all wattages. Pretty stupid how that works huh?

Plus those people aren't professionals, they have zero authority to say anything about the power supply other than it turned on and maybe how loud it is. There's a lot more to PSUs that just turning on.

The EVGA BT is going to stink. Any $22 PSU is going to stink. The price is enough to tell you that. If your computer is super cheap, then a $22 PSU like that may be acceptable, but I'd rather spend $40.

3 hours ago, TinyBolts said:

Don't listen to Amazon reviews for power supplies. Turning on is not indicative of PSU quality, you are very misled in your beliefs about judging PSU quality from Amazon reviews.

3 hours ago, Brennan808 said:

its only $22 and it looks decent. Am i missing something?

Yes everything.

Ever heard of the saying: "If something seems to good to be that's because it is"??

Such cheap shit is most likely unsafe to use and can kill everything its connected to as well as its user, they have to take every shortcut there is to be able to get to that pricepoint and use the cheapest/worst components they can get their hands on. 

There is also another possibility with big companys:
They can work with very low margins, if at all.

So no, you should not buy it and get something decent...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

It's not any good, but you can't complain or expect quality at $22. For a secondary system working a low load (especially if you don't run high ambients) that you don't care extremely about, or maybe to revive an old system with virtually worthless parts, it may be a value pick worth some consideration for the cash-strapped. Now, if you have the money for something better, go that route.

I mean, it's probably a good step above true junk and complete frauds that can't do the rated output under any conditions.

5 hours ago, Brennan808 said:

I was looking for a power supply and found this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N9X3F8F/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1, its only $22 and it looks decent. Am i missing something?

I'll just go with a "Do as I say, and not what I do." approach and recommend looking for a known-reputable PSU (not just the brand alone). If you can get any of the top few tiers in the PSU tier list within your country, you should be just fine. 

As testing these things requires equipment very few users will ever have, user reviews are not likely to tell much of the story on a PSU.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…