Should I do the Oven trick to my GTX 980?

Uhh effects

Hello, I am a gaming enthusiast but don't have a lot of money. I currently have an MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti. Yes, I know MSI doesn't have a healthy reputation with cards or anything in general; but, it was my first card! Anyways, I have really wanted a NVIDIA GTX 980 4GB Reference card and finally dug up some money! But the card is listed that there is no video, but fans spin and it get's power, same scenario as Linus's GTX 750 in the video they uploaded. So I took it upon myself and said, screw it I will buy it and try it. I have already purchased it but just wanted to come on here and see if you people could give enlighten me with your opinions and/or facts. I would really like to know if you have personally done it and if it worked for you. Feel free to ask for more in-depth info on the card!

-Dennis

Setup Currently:

Case: EVGA DG-76

Mobo: ASUS

CPU: AMD FX-8350K 3.7Ghz

RAM: 28GB HyperX Fury

HDD: PNY 120GB SSD & WD Blue 1TB

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 980Ti SC (Reference model)

PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750W G3

Heatsink: NZXT Kraken x52

Peripherals:

Mouse: Logitech G502

Headset: Logitech G930 Wireless

Keyboard: Logitech G810 RGB Romer-G

Monitors:

AOC 19"

Don't buy a broken card if you can't even afford your desired main card first.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

the oven trick only fixes cards temporarely. i had a 2008 macbook pro that had gpu fail, i baked the board, and it workt for... *drumroll* 1 day. after that, exactly the same problem.

buying a broken card with the little money you have is really silly.

i have no experience with 980's, but are there diagnostic led's lit up on it or something?

also, just something that i'm wondering, how much did you pay for it?

She/Her

7 minutes ago, Uhh effects said:

Hello, I am a gaming enthusiast but don't have a lot of money. I currently have an MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti. Yes, I know MSI doesn't have a healthy reputation with cards or anything in general; but, it was my first card! Anyways, I have really wanted a NVIDIA GTX 980 4GB Reference card and finally dug up some money! But the card is listed that there is no video, but fans spin and it get's power, same scenario as Linus's GTX 750 in the video they uploaded. So I took it upon myself and said, screw it I will buy it and try it. I have already purchased it but just wanted to come on here and see if you people could give enlighten me with your opinions and/or facts. I would really like to know if you have personally done it and if it worked for you. Feel free to ask for more in-depth info on the card!

-Dennis

not worth it. save up a few more for a 1070 that works.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

Just now, firelighter487 said:

the oven trick only fixes cards temporarely. i had a 2008 macbook pro that had gpu fail, i baked the board, and it workt for... *drumroll* 1 day. after that, exactly the same problem.

buying a broken card with the little money you have is really silly.

i have no experience with 980's, but are there diagnostic led's lit up on it or something?

also, just something that i'm wondering, how much did you pay for it?

I mean, Linus did do it with his 750 Ti in this video and it did seem to work. I would be really glad if someone was able to tell me if the card is still working or not :V    Here is the video if you want to watch it 

Setup Currently:

Peripherals:

Monitors:

AOC 19"

Wait, who hates MSI? Anyway a 1050ti is a great card and doesnt perform too much worse than the 980

Omega-  I5 6600k | Gigabyte GTX 1060 | Cougar Panzer | DDR4 16GB 3000MHz | MSI Z170 Gaming M5

EVGA 650 GQ | AOC 60Hz Freesync Panels x2 | AOC 144hz Freesync Panel x1

Epsilon- I7 2700k | Asus GTX 970 | Corsair 780t | DDR3 8GB 1600MHz | EVGA Z68 FTW Mobo

Corsair 750W G2 | Acer R240HY x2

Upsilon- i7 5500u | 6GB DDR3 | 720p 60Hz panel

i watched the viedo the day it came out. in another video (can't remeber which one) linus said that the 750ti only worked for a week or two.

like i said, unreliable way of fixing stuff.

She/Her

1 minute ago, Uhh effects said:

I mean, Linus did do it with his 750 Ti in this video and it did seem to work. I would be really glad if someone was able to tell me if the card is still working or not :V    Here is the video if you want to watch it

it's a temporary fix more than anything. It's potentially expensive too, because you'll have to use an oven that you'll never cook food in again. I hope you didn't pay much for the card, because chances are you won't get it permanently working again.

I used to be quite active here.

Just now, Kobathor said:

it's a temporary fix more than anything. It's potentially expensive too, because you'll have to use an oven that you'll never cook food in again. I hope you didn't pay much for the card, because chances are you won't get it permanently working again.

I got the seller to sell it to me for $150.00 USD and already have a deal on craigslist to buy a Toaster oven for $20 USD.

Setup Currently:

Peripherals:

Monitors:

AOC 19"

7 minutes ago, 21rkosta said:

Wait, who hates MSI? Anyway a 1050ti is a great card and doesnt perform too much worse than the 980

the 980 preforms twice as good as a 1050ti...

3 minutes ago, Uhh effects said:

I got the seller to sell it to me for $150.00 USD and already have a deal on craigslist to buy a Toaster oven for $20 USD.

You spent $150 on a broken 980. That's retarded.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Just now, kelvinhall05 said:

You spent $150 on a broken 980. That's retarded.

I mean, if you could find me a reference GTX 980 or 970 I would really appreciate it.

Setup Currently:

Peripherals:

Monitors:

AOC 19"

4 minutes ago, Uhh effects said:

you are kidding right???? you paid 150 flippin bucks for a BROKEN card? why would you do that? especially if you are tight on money. if you spend money like that you will STAY tight on cash

1 minute ago, Uhh effects said:

I mean, if you could find me a reference GTX 980 or 970 I would really appreciate it.

you can find completely working 970s for around $150 bucks and for 200 bucks you could find working 980s. dude you messed up. I wouldnt pay more than $30 for a broken card

1 minute ago, Synawke said:

you can find completely working 970s for around $150 bucks and for 200 bucks you could find working 980s. dude you messed up. I wouldnt pay more than $30 for a broken card

Any recommendations for where I can them for that cheap, working? I would really appreciate it if you could throw me some links :V

Setup Currently:

Peripherals:

Monitors:

AOC 19"

Just now, Uhh effects said:

Any recommendations for where I can them for that cheap, working?

craigslist.... just search around for a week or 2 and you will find one. possibly ebay

Broken GPUs are only worth like $10-50...

Why did you pay so much for something that may not even be fixable???

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Synawke said:

craigslist.... just search around for a week or 2 and you will find one. possibly ebay

I have been searching for 2 months on craigslist and just put out a wanted add. Nothing. 

Setup Currently:

Peripherals:

Monitors:

AOC 19"

Just now, Enderman said:

Broken GPUs are only worth like $10-50...

Why did you pay so much for something that may not even be fixable???

The GPU gets power and the fans spin tho ;-;

Setup Currently:

Peripherals:

Monitors:

AOC 19"

Just now, Uhh effects said:

But it does not work.

There's no point in having a GPU that doesn't output video...even if the fans spin.

Is this your first time buying something used ever? Do you not know what used and broken products are worth?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

But it does not work.

There's no point in having a GPU that doesn't output video...even if the fans spin.

Is this your first time buying something used ever? Do you not know what used and broken products are worth?

To be fair, I have only built to PC's, mine has a GPU and the other doesn't. I bought everything new. Sooo no

Setup Currently:

Peripherals:

Monitors:

AOC 19"

7 minutes ago, Uhh effects said:

Any recommendations for where I can them for that cheap, working? I would really appreciate it if you could throw me some links :V

Honestly... you can get refurbished 1060's for $180 from reputable websites like EVGA's B Stock page: https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=03G-P4-6160-RX

$150 for a broken card was just a bad idea period. I wouldn't have chanced it even on something like a 1070. Cold solder joints are not the only causes of lack of display. Any of those VRAM IC's could be dead, or even the core itself. I've had 9800GT's that powered on and spun the fan, but the GPU itself be completely dead (VRM not even producing any heat). 

With you already having a 1050 Ti, you should have just saved some extra money and get a real upgrade, like a 1070, or used 980 Ti (which can be found all day long for $300-$350). 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

30 minutes ago, Uhh effects said:

its still broken...

To be completely honest... I am really thankful for all your help. I know I will sound like and idiot but I will give it a shot. If it works and keeps working god really did shine his light on me. If anyone could send me a link to a working GTX 980 or 970 I would definitely send this card back and buy it instantly. Thank you all.

Setup Currently:

Peripherals:

Monitors:

AOC 19"

Return your purchase if you are able. It will only lead to sadness. Check out hardwareswap on reddit if you want cheaper video cards. A non-reference gtx 970 for $150 isn't all that rare. Consistently going for $170 on a daily basis.