Who else is on the Coffee Lake hype train!?

On october 5th comes the most hyped intel cpu to rival amds ryzen. Are you hyped cause i certainly am!

2 minutes ago, Scootz188 said:

On october 5th comes the most hyped intel cpu to rival amds ryzen. Are you hyped cause i certainly am!

Why would I be hyped about CPUs that offer half of the threads or less cores than AMD offers at the same price? On a platform that's likely to be replaced in another year.

The 8700K will likely be the new fastest gaming CPU, though I do hope intel fix their TIM issues, otherwise it's going to get really hot.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Hype-trains are a bad idea.  They always end in a disappointment-wreck.

That said, assuming the benchmarks we've seen so far are incorrect, which they seem to be, it should be a good chip.  If they're right tho...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I would be, except I am too busy to swap my mobo for a new one. Maybe if I am lucky, they will lower the price on the 7700k's. I kind of just want a quick chip swap. 

Tech enthusiast and CS Student

1 minute ago, CmzPlusHardware said:

I would be, except I am too busy to swap my mobo for a new one. Maybe if I am lucky, they will lower the price on the 7700k's. I kind of just want a quick chip swap. 

I don't it's worth spending $200-$300 just for hyperthreading.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Why would I be hyped about CPUs that offer half of the threads or less cores than AMD offers at the same price? On a platform that's likely to be replaced in another year.

The 8700K will likely be the new fastest gaming CPU, though I do hope intel fix their TIM issues, otherwise it's going to get really hot.

The goal is more cores. Its still going to be a gaming chip. But they are putting more powerful cores to do more multitasking as well as gaming.

Waiting for the benchmarks to be released, but I intend to upgrade to the i5 or i7 early next year. Hopefully, the few benches that have leaked are on the lower side of the standard distribution. Also, I would like reviewers to start using faster memory on their benches rather than the half-assed Ryzen@4GHz/3000MHz vs Intel@XGhz/2400MHz, though some are moving their benches to provide parity.

9 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Some people want performance over price which Ryzen isn't offering to the fullest of what it could be even in applications that use all of those cores/threads. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

2 minutes ago, Scootz188 said:

The goal is more cores. Its still going to be a gaming chip. But they are putting more powerful cores to do more multitasking as well as gaming.

6 cores isn't enough for proper multi-tasking though, and they've offered 6 cores for years. Gaming chip is pretty relative, it'll be faster than Ryzen for 144hz sure, but at 60hz there's no real difference and Ryzen still saves a good amount of money for the same 6 core/12 thread CPU option.

Spoiler

I'm on the Ice Lake hype train

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

20 minutes ago, Audherbagn said:

I am happy that the 8700k is a thing (assuming the benchmarks are accurate) and I will probably buy one not long after it comes out

what benchmarks have you seen?  The ones I saw were not anywhere near what they should have been... ie, not promising at all

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I was "hyped" (excited) until I saw the prices. I was hoping for Intel to get the clue and price i7 closer to €300.

I still have no reason to upgrade from i7 4770k as it can push plenty of FPS for my 165Hz monitor and I would have to spend a ton of money for new overpriced RAM, Mobo and overpriced CPU.

I would rather grab Ryzen with 8-cores however, I would be downgrading my gaming performance so there is absolutely no reason to go any side right now for me.

1 hour ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Eh.

Most exciting thing this year for me was the R7 1700. Nothing this year outside of that genuinely excited me, in any department.

Then why did you take the time to post this reply?

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

27 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Because they give you considerably more overclocking headroom and ipc.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

9 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Because they give you considerably more overclocking headroom and ipc.

I don't think 10-20% is very much, will have to see exactly how much faster it is in a few days, but given intel's track record, per core performance is likely not much better than Kaby Lake.

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

I don't think 10-20% is very much, will have to see exactly how much faster it is in a few days, but given intel's track record, per core performance is likely not much better than Kaby Lake.

It's not just 10-20%.

A 5 ghz Coffee Lake CPU will have a 25% frequency advantage over a 4 ghz Ryzen CPU plus another 10% or so better IPC gives it close to a 40% single thread advantage, enough for an 8700k to match 1700 @ 4 ghz's multi core performance and an 8600k to match a 1600 @ 4 ghz's multi core performance.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

10 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

8600k to match a 1600 @ 4 ghz's multi core performance.

Ya..naw man

Their 6 core Skylake-X chip is faster than an R5 1600 and that's with 12 threads
87101.png

In addition in actual games the difference between Ryzen and a 7700K usually isn't that big. Clock speeds aren't linear performance gains I don't believe, and It would be pretty crazy for intel to get another 10% IPC out of their architecture.

Looking at cinebench single threaded, Ryzen is roughly around 160, while Kaby lake sits at 200, only a 25% difference
cine-single.png

Spoiler

I'm more hyped for Zen 2, especially since AM4 is supposed to last till 2020, hope chipsets get backwards compatibility.

But competition is always good and I'm glad to see Intel finally doing something more than a slight IPC bump.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

36 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Ya..naw man

Their 6 core Skylake-X chip is faster than an R5 1600 and that's with 12 threads
87101.png

In addition in actual games the difference between Ryzen and a 7700K usually isn't that big. Clock speeds aren't linear performance gains I don't believe, and It would be pretty crazy for intel to get another 10% IPC out of their architecture.

Looking at cinebench single threaded, Ryzen is roughly around 160, while Kaby lake sits at 200, only a 25% difference
cine-single.png

I was talking about OCed numbers not stock numbers.

I don't deny your gaming point but the fact of the matter is it's gonna stay as "pay more get more." You could get a 1600 or pay a bit more for an 8600k which will give better gaming performance.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

3 hours ago, Streetguru said:

6 cores isn't enough for proper multi-tasking though

Bullshit.

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

Spoiler

Just now, Streetguru said:

It may not be ideal for your usage case, but to say "6 cores isn't enough for proper multi-tasking" is FUD Bullshit.  

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

1 minute ago, TahoeDust said:

It may not be ideal for your usage case, but to say "6 cores isn't enough for proper multi-tasking" is FUD Bullshit.  

Most people on here are likely interested in maybe streaming or recording as far as multi tasking goes, with Ryzen it's 4c/8t to the game and 4c/8t to OBS. Going to be a while before someone tests Ryzen vs Coffee lake in streaming.

Spoiler