Hey everyone I have a new fx 8350 on an Asrock 970 Pro3 R2.0 and I have been reading a lot of comments that my VRM’s on my motherboard are not cooled by any heat sinks so overclocking would be a bitch. Does anyone have an ideas what I could do. 

My 240mm rad is above the motherboard with 2 coolermaster fans running at full speed above it pulling air into the case. Would this be enough to cool down my VRM’s or do I need something else. 

Thanks in advance.

Hold on... You have a NEW 8350? wHY???

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN RESPONDING

Please Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It. Take Time & Explain

New TOS RUINED the meme that used to be below :( 

The fan that came with the 8350 stock cooler is decent for the job, I used it on my Sabertooth when I was trying out 5.2ghz+, at full speed (noisy) they dropped by ~15c. If you dont mind spending a little more $$$ and want something better I suggest a couple Noctuas 80mm.

8EE3FA88-EE97-4CC8-8005-57DD52E05A88.jpeg

Ryzen 3800x 4.4ghz 1.294v all core Noctua NH-D15 x570 Aorus Elite 16gb G.Skill Flare X 3600mhz 15-15-15-30 1T

XFX 5700 XT Thicc III Ultra Seasonic Focus+ 650w Platinum

7 hours ago, Jrock said:

I hope it was cheap/used. Otherwise this ^

Current Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X3D

GPU: RTX 3080 Ti FE

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z CL16 3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Tuf X570 Plus Wifi

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X53

PSU: EVGA G6 Supernova 850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite

Current Laptop:

Model: Asus ROG Zephyrus G14

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900HS

GPU: RTX 3060

RAM: 16GB @3200 MHz

Old PC:

CPU: Intel i7 8700K @4.9 GHz/1.315v

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z CL16 3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A

10 hours ago, Jrock said:

I got it for a measly $20 so I swapped out my fx 4300 for this

1 hour ago, Strike105X said:

Wait that mobo doesn't even have a VRM heatsink... That's just asking for trouble, its already an issue with its 4+1 power phase design as is, you shouldn't use it with an FX8350... let alone attempt to overclock it.... If you could place a radiator/heatsink plus a fan i guess you could use the FX8350 but overclocking is stretching it on that mobo.

I don’t want to overclock the chip until I get a better mobo or just a new system.

i just want to run the fx 8350 at stock speeds under moderate loads

Just now, Strike105X said:

Especially if you cool it with an AIO i recommend getting some VGA aluminium heatsinks (should be pretty cheap), or there's also VRM heatsinks available, but dunno about the price,  and add like in the example image above, just put a fan over the whole deal, normally after that it should work fine.

Thanks I will order them now

would I be able to use the system until the parts come. Also what will happen if the vrm get to hot ( worst case)

5 minutes ago, Strike105X said:

Well since its not an MSI you don't have to worry about a fire hazard... If they get to hot they could become damaged and stuck at providing voltage, and any CPU you put in will end up working at less then half its speed, this is usually the worst case scenario, some rare cases they can also just die out refusing to work anymore.

So the motherboard will just die but everything else will be ok ???

12 minutes ago, Strike105X said:

extreme3 use the same VRM's and with tweaks/mods (like changing thermal pads and again the fan, plus maybe even undervolting) the extreme 3 can handle the FX8350.

Or just stock and overclocked, no fucking around necessary...

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

19 minutes ago, Strike105X said:

Normally yes, but now that i think about it there is also a small risk when breaking for them to send an overvoltage that might affect ram and CPU. I've only seen it once and it was an MSI not asrock but still... Though that shouldn't be the case, the Pro3 and extreme3 use the same VRM's and with tweaks/mods (like changing thermal pads and again the fan, plus maybe even undervolting) the extreme 3 can handle the FX8350.

That said personally i recommend the Gigabyte 970a-DS3p as an entry mobo for FX83XX cpu's.

Thanks for the information it has helped me considerably.

1 minute ago, Strike105X said:

You meant underclocked right ?

No I mean overclocked on an extreme3,  6 years no problem. Can't say I've had a problem with an asrock board in the last decade

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

21 minutes ago, Strike105X said:

Congrats, that means you probably also got lucky with a nice energy efficient FX that doesn't suffer from voltage leakage (and probably the VRM's have the thermal pads properly applied), but just like i said in my post that doesn't mean that it applies for all, just like the issues i mentioned aren't applicable to all, the good results aren't either, those precaution i give is a safety precaution so that people don't find themselves in a position where its to late, unfortunately i saw enough cases of it being a problem that it made me consider a necessity giving this advice. 

When I had my fx4300 running I had it at 5.2Ghz stable for about a year. From this could it seem that I can run the fx 8350 at stock without any issue.

or did I just get pretty lucky

10 minutes ago, Strike105X said:

You got really lucky in the binning lottery there, but no, 2 modules do put more strain on the power delivery then a high overclock. Still 5.2 Ghz that is really a good result.

Ok thanks it took me roughly a week to dial in the overclocks

11 minutes ago, Strike105X said:

You got really lucky in the binning lottery there, but no, 2 modules do put more strain on the power delivery then a high overclock. Still 5.2 Ghz that is really a good result.

So would I be ok if I placed a fan over all the vrm and kept the fans at high while my Passive Heatsink MOSFET Chipsink

comes

23 minutes ago, dave_k said:

VRM death:

case #1: mobo burns out but CPU is OK

case #2 everything blows up

Case 1 is possible

case 2 is less likely because it’s not an msi mobo

31 minutes ago, Strike105X said:

Normally yes, dunno how efficient your fx is in terms of energy but especially for that liitle while it should work out, if you want to take extra precautions, undervolting is also an option.

Ok thanks very much

12 minutes ago, FluiD-MoDzz said:

Case 1 is possible

case 2 is less likely because it’s not an msi mobo

Every mobo can do case 2 if overloaded.

Depends how much do you push the highside, if its on the limit then it could happen on any mobo

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

1 hour ago, dave_k said:

Every mobo can do case 2 if overloaded.

Depends how much do you push the highside, if its on the limit then it could happen on any mobo

Not if no overclock has been applied 

3 minutes ago, FluiD-MoDzz said:

Not if no overclock has been applied 

I said "depends on how much you push the highside"

This means how much current you pull through the FET.

Regardless of overclock, 10 core or 4 core.

You overload the fet = chance of blowing up your CPU

2 minutes ago, dave_k said:

I said "depends on how much you push the highside"

This means how much current you pull through the FET.

Regardless of overclock, 10 core or 4 core.

You overload the fet = chance of blowing up your CPU

So if I put the fx 8350 at stock frequency do you think it may happen if I cool the vrm with an overhanging fan

6 minutes ago, FluiD-MoDzz said:

So if I put the fx 8350 at stock frequency do you think it may happen if I cool the vrm with an overhanging fan

I dunno, i would have to know the VRM specs but it should be fine unless you render video for 5 hours

15 minutes ago, dave_k said:

I dunno, i would have to know the VRM specs but it should be fine unless you render video for 5 hours

I have some heatsinks coming in the post so i will put a san over them to keep them cool on the mean time. Cheers for all your advice

18 minutes ago, FluiD-MoDzz said:

I have some heatsinks coming in the post so i will put a san over them to keep them cool on the mean time. Cheers for all your advice

Yeah, it will be good.

5 hours ago, Strike105X said:

Normally yes, dunno how efficient your fx is in terms of energy but especially for that liitle while it should work out, if you want to take extra precautions, undervolting is also an option.

I just tried to run the chip and I had the system shutdown while it was idle. I think I will put my old cpu in and buy another mobo asap. What mobo would you recommend for a good overclock and an vrm Heatsink that will keep everything cool