"The iPhone 8/8+ dethroned Android's Google Pixel as the best smartphone camera at the moment", according to DxO Mark

24 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

I don't know if newer dSLRs have overcome the video limit of 20 minutes recording or else the sensor will get too hot. I wonder if the likes of Sony, Nikon or Canon bothered to put a heat pipe in the sensor or any other cooling method.

I think that's a myth actually.  For one thing, immediately after the recording ending, you can start another.  Also there's DSLRs that are known for video and commonly used for them like the GH4/GH5 that I believe do not have that limitation.  I've heard that that limit exists for legal reasons so they can get away not calling them "video cameras" which allows them to be sold with fewer taxes in some places.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I think that's a myth actually.  For one thing, immediately after the recording ending, you can start another.  Also there's DSLRs that are known for video and commonly used for them like the GH4/GH5 that I believe do not have that limitation.  I've heard that that limit exists for legal reasons so they can get away not calling them "video cameras" which allows them to be sold with fewer taxes in some places.

Well, actual video cameras especially handheld camcoders are terrible when it comes to photos

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

I wish Android OEMs would put as much work in as Apple has. 

...... You mean like the Pixel who was just now dethroned? 

That first photo really say it all imo. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

I think I'm getting the 8+. I have no patience to wait for the X and I don't like the irregular notch at the top and the lack of Touch ID.

Still, despite the resolution of the photos, they still won't exceed the quality of those taken on old DLSR camera (especially in low light).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 hour ago, DrMacintosh said:

Really?  Motionless, simple, textureless surfaces, in a well lit room... seems like pretty much the ideal scenario.  Just like shaving commercials that show the razor passing over already smooth skin, or teeth whitening commercials that show brightening up already perfect teeth, I don't think this "says it all" by any means... far from it.  If you want to impress me, lets see how it stands up in a really challenging scenario - something fast moving like sports that tests the auto-focus and ability to freeze motion, or in a dim room like a candle-lit dinner that tests low light performance (one of the major weak spots for phone cameras).  If it does well there, that's what should get peoples' attention.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Thanks for your comment

I didn't realize the high quality of camera that Iphone show.

Now I know it. 

Is anybody else mad that we didn’t get the iPhone 7 Plus dxomark review until the 8 plus came out? Is it just me?

DELETE! DELETE!

EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!

Silence will fall.

PSU Tier List - I keep forgetting where this is so I'm going to leave it here.

4 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Really?  Motionless, simple, textureless surfaces, in a well lit room... seems like pretty much the ideal scenario.  Just like shaving commercials that show the razor passing over already smooth skin, or teeth whitening commercials that show brightening up already perfect teeth, I don't think this "says it all" by any means... far from it.  If you want to impress me, lets see how it stands up in a really challenging scenario - something fast moving like sports that tests the auto-focus and ability to freeze motion, or in a dim room like a candle-lit dinner that tests low light performance (one of the major weak spots for phone cameras).  If it does well there, that's what should get peoples' attention.

I think that a picture from the same area, with other cameras should have been taken.

For comparison's sake.

5 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

It does look real nice, Apple has historically used very good cameras though, so i'm not surprised.

I would like to see how the camera performs in low light situations.

I think people put way too much trust in Dxomark. They are kind of infamous in a lot of photography circles because they're scores seems almost random at times. 

I think it's Nikon that usually gets rated a lot higher than others brands for example, even when shooting RAW and the other camera has the same sensor and lens. 

Anyway there is no denying that the iPhone has a great camera for a phone. 

Meaningless metric, if you want good pictures buy a real camera.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

6 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

I think I'm getting the 8+. I have no patience to wait for the X and I don't like the irregular notch at the top and the lack of Touch ID.

I'm honestly waiting for the Red Hydrogen One and if I don't like how that camera functions, I might get the iPhone X. It all depends, and the lack of Touch ID concerns me as it does to a lot of people. 

6 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

Still, despite the resolution of the photos, they still won't exceed the quality of those taken on old DLSR camera (especially in low light).

I totally agree. I have friends who do content creation who are using the phone as their main camera. The best thing about it too is that  and then call me overkill for using a DSLR or Sony FDR-AX100 (the latter they tried to tell me the iPhone 8+ outperforms my camcorder in video while shooting in extremely low light settings, a camcorder with an 1" sensor that I purposely hold back on to not introduce a lot of noise.) I've gotta say, it's enjoyable seeing the cockiness of the iPhone users.

I prefer when they do side by sides so nobody can tell the difference.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

9 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

I prefer when they do blind side by sides so nobody can tell the difference.

You missed one word.

But there is usually a small amount of discernible difference, but rarely is it that one is better than the other.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 hour ago, Jito463 said:

She doesn't look very happy about having her picture taken. xD 

Lol, I think she’s just being fierce. ?

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

What do you mean a real camera? The iPhone’s camera has a lens cover, a six element lens arrangement, and a backside illuminated CMOS sensor which makes it a real camera like a dSLR. So I don’t know what makes the iPhone’s camera fake or not a real camera. ?

6 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

You missed one word.

But there is usually a small amount of discernible difference, but rarely is it that one is better than the other.

I didn't miss it, I've actually never seen a blind side by side. I'd imagine they are pretty rare since just about everything online is an advertisement.

Also inb4 someone replies that I must be blind or something of the sort :ph34r:

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

You can't always lug a mirrorless or DSLR around.  Phone camera quality is and will remain important.

32 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

What do you mean a real camera? The iPhone’s camera has a lens cover, a six element lens arrangement, and a backside illuminated CMOS sensor which makes it a real camera like a dSLR. So I don’t know what makes the iPhone’s camera fake or not a real camera. ?

The pitiful sensor (particularly its size) and optical zoom make it nothing like a dslr, among other things like the lack of a mirror and interchangeable lenses. Anyone who tries to convince you otherwise either doesn't know what they're talking about or is a zealot trying to sell you the hype. It's comparable to a 150$ point and shoot at best.

9 minutes ago, Commodus said:

You can't always lug a mirrorless or DSLR around.  Phone camera quality is and will remain important.

If you care at all about picture quality, a phone camera does not cut it. Period. When you have no choice it probably doesn't matter much.

Mirrorless cameras are also a thing and take a fraction of the space a dslr would while being an order of magnitude better than any phone.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Next gen item beats last gen item!?

Let me show you my shocked face!

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

20 minutes ago, Sauron said:

The pitiful sensor (particularly its size) and optical zoom make it nothing like a dslr, among other things like the lack of a mirror and interchangeable lenses. Anyone who tries to convince you otherwise either doesn't know what they're talking about or is a zealot trying to sell you the hype. It's comparable to a 150$ point and shoot at best.

But even with those reasons, the iPhone’s camera is still a “real camera”. 

16 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

The iphone x will probably share the title so again: who fucking cares about the 8. X or bust.

Probably a point or two higher because the telephoto lens has hardware stabilization or none at all. 

Urm iPhone X though? 

Anyway, Pixel 2 XL soon, will be interesting to see that one as well. 

But for video recording 4k 60fps is great. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

41 minutes ago, Sauron said:

If you care at all about picture quality, a phone camera does not cut it. Period. When you have no choice it probably doesn't matter much.

Mirrorless cameras are also a thing and take a fraction of the space a dslr would while being an order of magnitude better than any phone.

False.

If I'm at a concert that bans 'big' cameras, I care that my phone will get a good shot of the band.  If I'm at a going-away party for a friend and it would be rude/intrusive to carry a big camera to the pub, I care that I can take a decent photo in low light.  And if I'm out and about and just happen to see an interesting photo subject, I still care about getting a good shot without needing perfect lighting or a stationary object.

Unless you want to make a case for everyone always carrying a large dedicated camera everywhere they go 'just in case,' you should probably just admit you're wrong and move on.