switch modding

penmaster33

so I saw a mod for the switch to play as carl Johnson in botw so how do I do it I don't know how to get to the files

5 hours ago, penmaster33 said:

so I saw a mod for the switch to play as carl Johnson in botw so how do I do it I don't know how to get to the files

I think that was doing it on an emulator not the actual switch.

57 minutes ago, lieder1987 said:

I think that was doing it on an emulator not the actual switch.

but isn't that illegal 

but isn't that illegal 

well that is up to interpretation and is subjective...well in this case, I guess no it isnt. Yes, yes it is.

but isn't that illegal 

(I am not a lawyer.) Nintendo will say it's illegal, but it all depends on the laws where you live. In the United States creating a backup copy is legal, however circumventing DRM is not. So if you have to circumvent DRM to make a backup then it's illegal under Digital Millennium Copyright Act. (For example ripping Breath of the Wild on Wii U would require you to circumvent DRM.) Emulator on their own on the other hand is a bit more tricky as these are created with clean-room reverse engineering. (They don't have the console's source code.) Though this may get around copyright issues you then run into patent issues if there are any patents for said consoles. (Spoiler: Nintendo has patents for their consoles.)

A good read: Sony Computer Entertainment Inc vs Connectix Corp

57 minutes ago, StevenMattera said:

(I am not a lawyer.) Nintendo will say it's illegal, but it all depends on the laws where you live. In the United States creating a backup copy is legal, however circumventing DRM is not. So if you have to circumvent DRM to make a backup then it's illegal under Digital Millennium Copyright Act. (For example ripping Breath of the Wild on Wii U would require you to circumvent DRM.) Emulator on their own on the other hand is a bit more tricky as these are created with clean-room reverse engineering. (They don't have the console's source code.) Though this may get around copyright issues you then run into patent issues if there are any patents for said consoles. (Spoiler: Nintendo has patents for their consoles.)

A good read: Sony Computer Entertainment Inc vs Connectix Corp

While you're not wrong, until companies get punished for preventing legitimate users from accessing content they've paid for because of DRM protection, I will continue to not care about circumventing DRM on any content I've legally paid a license for. That and I don't live in the states so the DMCA doesn't apply to me. :P But seriously, DRM causes more problems than companies claim it benefits, and thus is actually detrimental to sales in the long term.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

On 9/23/2017 at 12:21 PM, penmaster33 said:

He took the WiiU version of the game, where WiiU emulator exists, and modded the game. Same applies to all mods and hacks that you see of the game.

WiiU emulator are still new, but are much better working state than other console in the sense of "age of emulator vs how well it works", if you get what I am saying. This is really because the WiiU has the same hardware architecture as the XBox 360, and Wii, and the Wii is just a faster GameCube, with different controls system. So in other words, mass amount of work is already done, so despite emulators for the WiiY being failry new, they can play games OK state with some games, like Zelda BoTW pretty well. Now, getting the architecture differences that differ is the tricky part, and that usually takes a very long time, and this is when you'll see WiiU emulators start playing a wide range of games perfectly.

Getting an emulator is legal in US and Canada and other countries (see your countries laws, I don't know behind US and Canada)

Having an emulator run the game disk directly is a legal way to play games. Sadly, very few emulators support this, and it usually requires custom firmware replacement done on the optical drive of the system. For example, Game Cube disks are read on reverse than a normal disk would be. So you need an optical drive that has a controller and motors that can operate the way it needs to read GameCube disks, let alone have its firmware be extracted, modified and replaced.

So usually, people simply download ISOs of the game, called ROMs (the term is coming from the cartridge based consoles, where games where stores in a ROM chip instead of disk). While making a ROMs / ISOs of a game disk is legal, uploading isn't (download might be illegal in your region). Publishers, and especially Nintendo, often times shutdowns many sites that distributes console games.

Like on the PC, games that you acquire for your console is license based. When you agree to the terms and condition when you first setup the console, you agree that all games that you purchase for that system follows the same license agreement. Like on PC, the license states that you agree to not decompile or mod the game in any way. Basically, when you buy a console game, you really pay for the license, disk, and plastic box. Not the game itself. Like any software on PC.

Why you always have a License and not the game/software in questions? You can thank bars and arcade places of the early days of video games. They were modifying arcade machines to make games harder to take more money from players (basically make the game harder) or buy hardware mods that modify the console to be another game. Many times they are knock off version of a new game that got released, So, instead of buying the new arcade machine supporting the devs, they get those shitty version of games on the cheap, and replaces all labels of the arcade cabinet (arcade machines are expensive as they contains specialized hardware design to run a specific game perfectly well. PCs where not powerful enough to play arcade games as smooth, and graphically rich, or required a serious beats of PC.. think like a $5,000 to $8,000 PC today to play a game). So because of these mods and fake version of games, this lead people not playing the real game or original as intended. And you can bet that many of these knock-offs are usually inferior, buggy, money grabbing, version of the original target game, miss representing a new game and studio. This is where it all started. So legal fights after legal fights, it led that, you don't buy games/software anymore, you buy a license that can be revoked. So you can think these cheap-asses for ruining your fun. :)

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

He took the WiiU version of the game, where WiiU emulator exists, and modded the game. Same applies to all mods and hacks that you see of the game.

WiiU emulator are still new, but are much better working state than any other console considering the emulators age. This is really because the WiiU has the same hardware architecture as the XBox 360, and Wii, and the Wii is just a faster GameCube, with different controls system. So in other words, mass amount of work is already done. Now, getting the architecture differences that differ is the tricky part, and that usually takes a very long time.

Getting an emulator is legal in US and Canada and other countries (see your countries laws, I don't know behind US and Canada)

Having an emulator run the game disk directly, is a legal way to play a game. Sadly, very few emulators support this, and requires custom firmware replacement of the optical drive, and specific optical drive model that have been found that their firmware can be extracted, modded, and updated, and has the controller ability to support the needed action. For example, Game Cube disks are read on reverse than a normal disk would be. So you need an optical drive that has a controller and motors that can operate the way it needs to read GameCube disks.

So usually, people download ISOs of the game, called ROMs, which is a term coming from the cartridge based consoles, where games where stores in a ROM chip instead of disk. While making a ROM/ISO of a game disk is legal, uploading and downloading it isn't. Publishers, and especially Nintendo, often times shutdowns many sites that distributes console games.

Like on the PC, games that you acquire for your console is license based. When you agree to the terms and condition when you first setup the console, you agree that all games that you purchase for that system follows the same license agreement. Like on PC, the license states that you agree to not decompile or mod the game in any way. Basically, when you buy a console game, you really pay for the license, disk, and plastic box. Not the game itself. Like any software on PC.

Why you always a License and not the game? You can thank bars and arcade places of the early days of video games modifying arcade machines to make games harder to take more money, play with the game code to loose, or buy hardware mods that modify the console to be another game. A knock off version of a new game, instead of buying the new arcade machine, and replaces all labels of the arcade cabinet. This leads to people not playing the real game, but usually an inferior, buggy, money grabbing, version of the game, miss representing a new game from a studio. This is where it all started. So legal fights after legal fights, it led that, you don't buy games/software anymore, you buy a license that can be revoked. So you can think these cheap-asses for ruining your fun. :)

oh thank you I'm gonna go get a rom then