how to update bios

stevenly

how do i update my bios? someone said i should get a usb thats fat16/32 first. What does that mean and i should i be doing this?

You normally go to your Motherboards website. Download the latest BIOS, extract to Fat32 USB, then use Q-Flash or whatever your motherboard has to update the bios. If i knew your motherboard i could help further. 

Specs:

Gaming PC: i5 3570, 16GB 1600MHz, GTX 780 3GB, Transcend 128GB, WD 500GB, Seagate 500GB, Thermaltake 600W Smart, S340 w/ RGB, Windows 10 Pro

Server: Xeon E5 2650, 12GB 1600MHz ECC, 8400GS, WD 2TB + 1TB + 1TB, EVGA 500B 500W, Windows 10 Pro

Laptop: Macbook Pro Retina 2013, i7 4558U, 8GB 1600MHz, Intel Iris Pro 1.5GB, Apple 256GB NVME, Mojave

Internet: $70/month For 500/100, Actually get 525/102

The exact steps will depend from motherboard to motherboard. Usually they have a video on how to do it.

Generally the steps are something like this:

1. get a USB flash drive and format it to FAT32. Formatting the drive means erasing all its data and when you format it (right click on the drive and format in Windows) you can choose the format it will be in, which is listed in the drop down menu. Usually you can choose between NTFS, FAT32 or ExFat. Choose the one your motherboard wants, which seems to be FAT32 in this case (FAT32 is kinda universally accepted).

2. Put the new BIOS on it, which you can download on the motherboard's support page. The exact way of putting the BIOS on the flash (whether you need to paste the entire folder or whatever) should be explained there, or in the video.

3. Open your BIOS/UEFI (mashing DEL or F12 when the PC starts up) and look for the BIOS flash section (sometimes called M-Flash or Q-Flash too, with I think MSI and Gigabyte respectively)

4. Choose your flash drive and let it go for a couple minutes and there you go, new  BIOS.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Download the latest one for instand flash which is 3.20 then extract to Flash Drive. Open your bios, go to tools, and use instant flash. 

Specs:

Gaming PC: i5 3570, 16GB 1600MHz, GTX 780 3GB, Transcend 128GB, WD 500GB, Seagate 500GB, Thermaltake 600W Smart, S340 w/ RGB, Windows 10 Pro

Server: Xeon E5 2650, 12GB 1600MHz ECC, 8400GS, WD 2TB + 1TB + 1TB, EVGA 500B 500W, Windows 10 Pro

Laptop: Macbook Pro Retina 2013, i7 4558U, 8GB 1600MHz, Intel Iris Pro 1.5GB, Apple 256GB NVME, Mojave

Internet: $70/month For 500/100, Actually get 525/102

3 minutes ago, stevenly said:

Here is the explanation from ASRock themselves:

https://www.asrock.com/support/BIOSIG.asp?cat=BIOS8

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

3 hours ago, Minibois said:

Here is the explanation from ASRock themselves:

https://www.asrock.com/support/BIOSIG.asp?cat=BIOS8

3 hours ago, newcbomb said:

Download the latest one for instand flash which is 3.20 then extract to Flash Drive. Open your bios, go to tools, and use instant flash. 

i jsut updated my bios and set it to xmp and it still sais 2133mhz on cpuz

1 minute ago, stevenly said:

i jsut updated my bios and set it to xmp and it still sais 2133mhz on cpuz

You likely have to set a custom DRAM frequency in the motherboard BIOS. Surely you should be able to set that there? Maybe you can even find a fitting XAMP profile for your memory.

You likely have to set a custom DRAM frequency in the motherboard BIOS. Surely you should be able to set that there? Maybe you can even find a fitting XAMP profile for your memory.

is it still suppsed to cycle off and on?

Just now, stevenly said:

is it still suppsed to cycle off and on?

If your PC now doesn't boot up anymore, your RAM 'overclock' is not stable and you should seek out some higher timings.

I could better assist you if you were to give me your full system specifications, including the exact RAM set you have and the timings you're trying.

If your PC now doesn't boot up anymore, your RAM 'overclock' is not stable and you should seek out some higher timings.

I could better assist you if you were to give me your full system specifications, including the exact RAM set you have and the timings you're trying.

probably shuldv done this right when i posted this thread sorry

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($259.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350M-HDV Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($94.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Memory: Team - Vulcan 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($169.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Storage: Seagate - BarraCuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($53.25 @ shopRBC) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card  ($620.50 @ Vuugo) 
Case: BitFenix - Nova ATX Mid Tower Case  ($64.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Power Supply: EVGA - B3 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($55.43 @ DirectCanada) 
Case Fan: Corsair - SP120 57.2 CFM  120mm Fan  ($7.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Total: $1335.12
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-09-21 18:19 EDT-0400

probably shuldv done this right when i posted this thread sorry

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($259.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350M-HDV Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($94.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Memory: Team - Vulcan 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($169.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Storage: Seagate - BarraCuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($53.25 @ shopRBC) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card  ($620.50 @ Vuugo) 
Case: BitFenix - Nova ATX Mid Tower Case  ($64.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Power Supply: EVGA - B3 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($55.43 @ DirectCanada) 
Total: $1335.12
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-09-21 18:19 EDT-0400

Let's just get out of the way that this set is not on the QVL ('guaranteed to work') list of the motherboard, but that shouldn't matter; it just means AsRock has not tested the memory (yet).

Team (maker of the RAM) said they tested the memory at 3000Mhz speeds with CL16-18-18-38 timings/latency, Well since Ryzen can run 2933Mhz, I would try that speed with timing similar to that. Maybe even starting off with those speeds and than maybe upping it slightly if it power cycles.

Let's just get out of the way that this set is not on the QVL ('guaranteed to work') list of the motherboard, but that shouldn't matter; it just means AsRock has not tested the memory (yet).

Team (maker of the RAM) said they tested the memory at 3000Mhz speeds with CL16-18-18-38 timings/latency, Well since Ryzen can run 2933Mhz, I would try that speed with timing similar to that. Maybe even starting off with those speeds and than maybe upping it slightly if it power cycles.

honestly ive never fiddled with ram oc so i would be completely fresh in ram, which timing do i up if it does pwoer cycle

38 minutes ago, stevenly said:

how do i update my bios? someone said i should get a usb thats fat16/32 first. What does that mean and i should i be doing this?

Why you want to update bios ?

Never update bios if not necessary. Never.

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

3 minutes ago, stevenly said:

honestly ive never fiddled with ram oc so i would be completely fresh in ram

If I were you, I would first spend a couple minutes watching some videos on Ryzen and RAM. I did and got my memory at 2933Mhz (not quite the 3200Mhz this set can/should do).

DDR is for double data rate.

In CPU-Z it's normal you see like 1500 mhz if your ram is clocked at 3000 mhz....

for 2400 mhz it would show 1200 mhz, due to DDR

for 1600 mhz it would be showing 800 mhz an ds o on

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

3 hours ago, gbergeron said:

DDR is for double data rate.

In CPU-Z it's normal you see like 1500 mhz if your ram is clocked at 3000 mhz....

for 2400 mhz it would shot 1200 mhz, due to DDR

its at 1064 so around 2133

its at 1064 so around 2133

ah :(

What happen when you set XMP on in bios ? You can go see the actual ram clock speed, it stays the same ?

ah :(

What happen when you set XMP on in bios ? You can go see the actual ram clock speed, it stays the same ?

when i set xmp it sais 2933 and all the right timings after i savea nd boot it will power cycle and when im finally in it still sais 2133

Just now, stevenly said:

when i set xmp it sais 2933 and all the right timings

then you should be good maybe you have an old version of CPU Z ? Can you try download the latest one ? or monitor ur ram speed with something else ? Like Real Bench per example, free stres test, you should see ur ram clock speed there too

then you should be good maybe you have an old version of CPU Z ? Can you try download the latest one ? or monitor ur ram speed with something else ? Like Real Bench per example, free stres test, you should see ur ram clock speed there too

ive also tried going into task manager and goign into the performance tab and checkign my memory and it still sais 2133

Just now, stevenly said:

ive also tried going into task manager and goign into the performance tab and checkign my memory and it still sais 2133

At that point, you might wanna try to set it manually..

My XMP sucked too, was unstable.. Had to set it manually and works fine now.

Gotta set the voltage manually, the clock speed manually, and the timing.

Check youtube on how to do that, make sure to understand correctly, come back with any questions

6 minutes ago, gbergeron said:

At that point, you might wanna try to set it manually..

My XMP sucked too, was unstable.. Had to set it manually and works fine now.

Gotta set the voltage manually, the clock speed manually, and the timing.

Check youtube on how to do that, make sure to understand correctly, come back with any questions

When I set my dram voltage to 1.350v it goes red is that why?

Just now, stevenly said:

When I set my dram voltage to 1.350v it goes red is that why?

I don't hav emuch knowledge with ryzen,

My ram is @ 1.35

I am not sure why it shows red ? Mine shows yellow