ASUS ROG Swift PG278QR worth?

Hey guys!

I am thinking of buying myself a ASUS ROG Swift PG278QR monitor. My question is to you, is it worth for me to do it?

I currently have a BenQ XL2411Z that's been with me since a couple of years back. I have a Nvidia GTX 980 in my PC. 

Is that the IPS or TN version?

The IPS version is pretty ballin', but the TN version is, as you might just expect with most TN panels, kinda lackluster in white colors and viewing angles.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

6 minutes ago, Minibois said:

The IPS version is pretty ballin', but the TN version is, as you might just expect with most TN panels, kinda lackluster in white colors and viewing angles.

It's the TN version. I just looked up an IPS version and holy balls the price went up quick. Is there a 24" version of the IPS ROG Swift?

Just now, MarkusH said:

It's the TN version. I just looked up an IPS version and holy balls the price went up quick. Is there a 24" version of the IPS ROG Swift?

Not as far as I know.

But isn't the IPS version like 850 euros vs. 750 euros for the TN version?

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Just now, Minibois said:

Not as far as I know.

But isn't the IPS version like 850 euros vs. 750 euros for the TN version?

That might be true, I think I looked at the 24" TN version, that's why it was such a difference between the prices!

3 hours ago, Minibois said:

Okey now I am looking at the Asus ROG Swift PG279Q that costs about 790 euros. Is this still worth for me to use? When I have a Nvidia 980.

2 hours ago, MarkusH said:

Okey now I am looking at the Asus ROG Swift PG279Q that costs about 790 euros. Is this still worth for me to use? When I have a Nvidia 980.

Really depends on what games you're playing. The better resolution is nice, but don't buy it expecting to be able to push 1440p with the settings cranked and get that refresh rate.

I have the ASUS ROG Swift PG278QR and for what I do mostly FPS it's an amazing monitor IMO. I have never FPS gamed on an IPS monitor so can't compare but I wanted low input lag, high Hz and just picked one up as I had the older PG278Q before and regretted changing it out for a marvellous VA panel, that had higher input lag.

Gotta say the ASUS ROG Swift PG278QR is the best TN panel I have ever seen or used. My only reason to change will be to get the same but in 32 inch.

CPU Intel i7 8700K @5Ghz Motherboard ROG Maximus Hero 10 RAM Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz 

GPU MSI Gaming X 1080ti Case Thermaltake Core P3  Storage SSD Boot plus Samsung 960 Evo M.2 nvme storage 

PSU Corsair RM750W Gold Display Asus ROG Strix XG32VQ 144Hz 1440p Cooling Corsair H100i V2 

Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK FX Mouse Roccat Kone Aimo Audio MK3 Fostex T50RP + Schiit Magni 3 AMP and Modi 2 DAC 
Operating System Win 10

VR HTC Vive, Audio Strap Motion Platform DOF Reality 2 DOF

14 hours ago, MarkusH said:

It's an awesome monitor, no doubt about it. I just can't tell you if it's worth 790 euros of your disposable income. That is up to you.

it's a very good Monitor.

The TN Panel you get there, is one of the best you will ever find :) If you don't do any graphical / professional work, you won't miss IPS at all tbh.

It is a TN Panel, but it won't have the panel-lottery like all the IPS models (who suffer from stuff like Backlightbleeding, strong glow, color shifts on one side etc.. seen everything. Bad Quality control from panel manufacturer).

I own a PG278QR. While its a TN monitor, its probably the best looking TN panel you will ever find, it doesn't look like other TN panels at all. The viewing angles are fine, to the point its a total non issue.

Granted how good your monitor looks can vary, I may have gotten lucky with mine and it does seem to vary some, whereas different pg279qs will be more consistent, but if you get lucky like me, the difference is small and definitely not worth hundreds more.

As for whether a 980 is good enough for 1440p, that depends on the games you play. With slightly older but still great looking titles like battlefield 4 or bioshock infinite, my 980 is more than enough for ultra settings and consistently high frame rates. For the newest titles you'd have to dial back settings some, and you definitely aren't gonna be using the 144hz refresh to its potential. I will probably upgrade my gpu once volta comes along. I would have done so already had battlefield not gone retro with a ww1 game. That just doesn't appeal to me at all.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

PG27VQ is also coming, 1440p G-Sync TN, Curved and "HDR Ready"

Quote or mention me if not feel ignored 

Hello everybody,

thank you all for your feedback. After lots of thinking I decided to go for the PG279Q! 

Cheers!

On 17/09/2017 at 2:12 AM, MarkusH said:

Hey guys!

I am thinking of buying myself a ASUS ROG Swift PG278QR monitor. My question is to you, is it worth for me to do it?

I currently have a BenQ XL2411Z that's been with me since a couple of years back. I have a Nvidia GTX 980 in my PC. 

Edit: oops. sorry, just saw the purchase quote so i retract all my statements. Hope you enjoy it. I love mine <3 

Nutshell, I like the PG279Q. personally hard for me to find a PG278Q. but TN is also a dealbreaker due to color shifting. IPS is the way to go, not a fan of having two monitors due to my desk size. So i prefer an all in one package and the PG279Q is better. Paired with 1080Ti and it seems just to work easily for me. Not always hitting 144-165Hz on most AAA games but I guess G-sync helps offset the low fps in points of time.

Even though you have a 980, GSYNC will benefit you. so you get that smooth gaming experience.

The backlight bleed is minor, you have to be staring at a black screen 95% of the time or majority to even notice it's there. That being said LCD panels suck for contrast due to the backlight panel and the way it operates [OLED is the way to go in the future]

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K | Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H | Graphics Card: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 Ti OCEdition | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3000MHz |Storage: 1 x Samsung 830 EVO Series 250GB | 1 x Samsung 960 PRO Series 512GB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 1TB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM750x 750W 80+ Gold Power Supply | Case: Cooler Master MasterCase 5 Pro |

Cooling: Corsair H100i v2 // 4x Corsair ML140 RED Fans // 2x Corsair ML120 RED Fans 
---

Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 1440p 165Hz IPS G-Sync | Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Red LED, Cherry MX Brown Switches | Mouse: Corsair Glaive RGB | Speakers: Logitech Z623 THX Certified Speakers

You'll want to adjust the PG279Q after you get it.  There are sites with recommended color calibration settings.  At the very least turn down the default brightness since it's like staring at the sun otherwise.  I love mine.

1 minute ago, PineyCreek said:

You'll want to adjust the PG279Q after you get it.  There are sites with recommended color calibration settings.  At the very least turn down the default brightness since it's like staring at the sun otherwise.  I love mine.

Just curious, what mode do you use normally? I tend to use sRGB often because the other game modes are bright af [putting color accuracies offside].

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K | Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H | Graphics Card: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 Ti OCEdition | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3000MHz |Storage: 1 x Samsung 830 EVO Series 250GB | 1 x Samsung 960 PRO Series 512GB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 1TB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM750x 750W 80+ Gold Power Supply | Case: Cooler Master MasterCase 5 Pro |

Cooling: Corsair H100i v2 // 4x Corsair ML140 RED Fans // 2x Corsair ML120 RED Fans 
---

Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 1440p 165Hz IPS G-Sync | Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Red LED, Cherry MX Brown Switches | Mouse: Corsair Glaive RGB | Speakers: Logitech Z623 THX Certified Speakers

On 9/19/2017 at 4:08 AM, xsimplyjosh said:

Just curious, what mode do you use normally? I tend to use sRGB often because the other game modes are bright af [putting color accuracies offside].

I used the Tom's Hardware review/calibration to start with and then adjusted for taste.  I had to set the brightness to like...40 I think, then set the blue filter to level 1. Initial R was 100, G was 95, B was 95.

4 hours ago, PineyCreek said:

I used the Tom's Hardware review/calibration to start with and then adjusted for taste.  I had to set the brightness to like...40 I think, then set the blue filter to level 1. Initial R was 100, G was 95, B was 95.

How do u figure out the brightness bit because he had a few varying values up. Because i dont hv advanced tech to measure the luminosity/intensity

---

Brightness should be depending on the brightness in your room ;)

Ideal would be, if you use a lower brightnes at night, than on bright daylight.

Brightness: Just adjust it to the extend you prefer it. That's what i do.

If the Red part is 0,35% off, i mean.. doesn't matter if your real world JOB is not graphic design or anything. And if it is, you better have a Calibration device anyway :P

19 hours ago, xsimplyjosh said:

How do u figure out the brightness bit because he had a few varying values up. Because i dont hv advanced tech to measure the luminosity/intensity

I adjusted brightness based on how my eyes felt looking at it for a while, taking into account the normal light in the room.  I HAD to turn on the blue light reduction (eye care) feature to at least level 1 otherwise it didn't matter what brightness I ran it at, it hurt my eyes.