Do you need to change router's admin password?

MyName13

The only way to access admin panel is to connect to a network first which requires a password over WiFi if it's password protected so is there any point of changing admin password?

Yes if anyone ever has access to your wifi they can reprogram the router and lock you out.

1 minute ago, GamerMaker said:

Yes if anyone ever has access to your wifi they can reprogram the router and lock you out.

thats a pretty big "if"...

Nope does it have WPS? Does it have WEP? Does it have WPA? Does it have WPA2? All of them have faults that would alllow anyone with a wifi card to break in relatively fast.

If someone locked you out of the router at least you can hit the physical reset button :P I'd say it's a good practice changing default passwords no matter what device it is for.

7 minutes ago, GamerMaker said:

Nope does it have WPS? Does it have WEP? Does it have WPA? Does it have WPA2? All of them have faults that would alllow anyone with a wifi card to break in relatively fast.

yeah but even then if you have physical access to the router you can factory reset. it's still a huge if, and somebody has to want to do that too

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

23 minutes ago, MyName13 said:

The only way to access admin panel is to connect to a network first which requires a password over WiFi if it's password protected so is there any point of changing admin password?

Absolutely, my router has an Admin and normal user setting stuff, since I have have a authoritative DNS server in my house I keep the admin panel to myself, not that anyone else bothers to go into the router. All they need to do is walk in when nobody is looking, connect and get the info. This is a very easy way to get lots of info, not that that is likely, by all means you probably don't need it, but gaining access to it would make a lot of stuff easier. 

Yours faithfully

I'm personally more of a Ethernet guy because I don't like packets floating around causing havoc but if you have absolutely nothing worth protecting then be my guest leave the default. There have been some exploits that allow privilege escalation on linksis routers allowing to turn them into bots in the past that heavily relied on the password being default. But do as you may. I’ll pray for you muppet.

Yes I would, and do change passwords of this type. If you leave it on eg admin admin, then that's the first thing an attacker would try most likely... so make it harder for them by setting a new user and password if you like or leave it as admin and just chnage the password. But if your router supports it would be better to change user too.

Yes it's unlikely that somehting like that would happen, but making it easier for them isn't the point either. Someone with physical access to an ethernet port, or has wifi passwords could end up causing a lot of trouble... yes you can hard reset it in most cases, but why take the risk?

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

That's not the only way. If someone plugs in a cable, they can access it, no need for a WiFi password. I would advise changing it just to avoid anyone messing with the settings. A lot of issues on networks and computers in general are caused by people changing settings that they don't understand. 

Depending on what company manufactured your router I've found that the default Wi-Fi password is a combination of the SSID & MAC address. With simple software on a phone I could walk around a neighborhood gain access in under a minute. Open ports on people's routers because the login credentials are the default and spy on their network or just straight up shut it down.

I'd change the password just in case.

9 hours ago, MyName13 said:

Most Wifi networks are not secure from someone with the malicious intent and know how. WPA/WEP/WPA2? not really secure.

Just change the password...

Most of you say that admin panel login credentials should be changed, why?If nobody can access it (over WiFi on a password protected network) then what's the problem?This is from my router's wireless tab, should I change any of the security protocol options?

Screenshot_2017-09-14-09-36-52.png.2aa4fcd2fac74f19b0c6f5c74068ac10.png

1 hour ago, MyName13 said:

Most of you say that admin panel login credentials should be changed, why?If nobody can access it (over WiFi on a password protected network) then what's the problem?This is from my router's wireless tab, should I change any of the security protocol options?

There has been some malware in the past that exploited browser vulnerabilities. They would navigate to the router and change DNS settings or add the router to a DDoS network. I cant remember the name but there was a russian one that changed DNS that hijacked all advertising, so every ad served earnt the malware distributor royalties.

Change your admin password.

Do not save the password in your browser.

Do not use your regular surfing browser to access your modem's web console.

Block access using your firewall if you can.

You router's manufacturer has prob dropped software support and quite realistically has a number of vulnerabilities include XSS.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

40 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

There has been some malware in the past that exploited browser vulnerabilities. They would navigate to the router and change DNS settings or add the router to a DDoS network. I cant remember the name but there was a russian one that changed DNS that hijacked all advertising, so every ad served earnt the malware distributor royalties.

Change your admin password.

Do not save the password in your browser.

Do not use your regular surfing browser to access your modem's web console.

Block access using your firewall if you can.

You router's manufacturer has prob dropped software support and quite realistically has a number of vulnerabilities include XSS.

That's interesting.How should I access my router if not through regular browser?

edit: damn, I rated your post as funny :o

1 minute ago, MyName13 said:

That's interesting.How should I access my router if not through regular browser?

do i really need to spell it out.

You have one browser that you use all the time, maybe its firefox.

Go find another browser like chrome or opera and use that for accessing your router.

I wont be responding to you again coz youre being a dick and wasting my fucking time.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

2 hours ago, sambarrett23072 said:

Yes, definitely  

Do you have any links to websites that explain/list exploits which can grant access to networks over WiFi without network password?

Yes

STORMBORN

CPU : Intel Core i7 4790K 4.6Ghz
Motherboard : Asus Z97-A
GPU : Asus GTX 970 Strix
RAM : 16 GB (8*2) Kingston Hyperx Fury
Case : NZXT H440
Cooler : Corsair H100i
SSD : 2 X Intel 530 Series 120 GB in RAID 0
HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda + 500 GB Seagate Momentus
PSU : Corsair RM 750
Display: 2 X Dell S2240L Monitors in Surround
Mouse : Logitech G 402 Hyperion Fury
Headphones: Sennheiser HD 439 
Keyboard : TVS (cheepo) Cherry MX Blue Mechanical Keyboard
Mousepad : Steelseries QCK Mass

Purpose : Mechanical 3D Modelling/ Photorealistic Rendering (Solidworks) and Gaming