Destiny 2 not utilising RYZEN SMT

Damascus

In a few cursory tests made by Gamers Nexus durting the Destiny 2 beta it was found that the game doesn't utilize Zens SMT logical threads.  

http://www.gamersnexus.net/game-bench/3038-destiny-2-beta-cpu-benchmarks-testing-research

For one instance, Destiny 2 doesn’t utilize SMT with Ryzen, producing utilization charts like this:

1700ocload destiny2

(Above: Taken after the test was complete, so look at the historical graph)

This move seems bizarre to me, destiny 2 devs have claimed that the game will utilize up to 16 logical cores (Ryzen rejoice) but be it due to the youth of the platform or issues with intel based coding the massive advantage of ryzen (in terms of cores) has been demolished.

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

woah

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

I'd imagine(hope) they add this by the time it launches, bit a bummer if not.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

6 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

I'd imagine(hope) they add this by the time it launches, bit a bummer if not.

Yup, this is the beta and the full game doesn't come out until OCT. 24th but it's still quite frustrating that logical cores won't be used

not all applications are built to utilize all the cores and threads of a CPU

Destiny 2 from what ive seen is already really well optimized for PCs i highly doubt it will improve your gameplay if you throw 8 more threads at it

Photography / Finance / Gaming

Just now, mok said:

not all applications are built to utilize all the cores and threads of a CPU

Destiny 2 from what ive seen is already really well optimized for PCs i highly doubt it will improve your gameplay if you throw 8 more threads at it

While that is true Destiny 2 devs promised early that the game will use up to 16 cores, though it appears it will only apply to the intel HEDT on intels side and AMD processors are being ignored.  It's a direct partnership AFAICT

4 minutes ago, Damascus said:

While that is true Destiny 2 devs promised early that the game will use up to 16 cores, though it appears it will only apply to the intel HEDT on intels side and AMD processors are being ignored.  It's a direct partnership AFAICT

ah okay 

if they say it will then we'll just have to wait for the full game release

but i still think it wont make any impact on gameplay for ryzen 7 users

if anything this is actually a good thing, now you have underutilized threads/cores that can be put to use for streaming and other background apps 

Photography / Finance / Gaming

1 hour ago, Damascus said:

In a few cursory tests made by Gamers Nexus durting the Destiny 2 beta it was found that the game doesn't utilize Zens SMT logical threads.  

http://www.gamersnexus.net/game-bench/3038-destiny-2-beta-cpu-benchmarks-testing-research

This move seems bizarre to me, destiny 2 devs have claimed that the game will utilize up to 16 logical cores (Ryzen rejoice) but be it due to the youth of the platform or issues with intel based coding the massive advantage of ryzen (in terms of cores) has been demolished.

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

Yup, this is the beta and the full game doesn't come out until OCT. 24th but it's still quite frustrating that logical cores won't be used

6 minutes ago, MeDownYou said:

Just now, valdyrgramr said:

You do realize each beta version of D2 was a 5-month-old build, right?  I wonder why it wasn't there.

Yes.  I am fully aware of the fact that this is a beta.  Read the full thread as I elaborate here on RUMORS about this being a purely intel feature.

Programmers have very little control over SMT/HT. The OS, Windows in this case, schedules threads to different cores as needed. This is likely not [just] a Ryzen fault, but the engine being lowered in core count for stability and seeing how far they need to actually distribute loads. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

I know the rumor bit, but like only 1 Ryzen chip was out when the build was a thing.  So, I can kinda see why Ryzen had this issue.  Bungie probably has or will patch it.

Hopefully the launch version will be a-ok, and I'm kind of bummed that GN didn't test an x99 or X299 cpu to see if the game uses more than 8 threads, maybe use TR4 and see if it can use 16 zen cores, no SMT. 

Also zen came out in February so r7s would have been out for 3ish months by the time this beta build rolled out.

1 minute ago, valdyrgramr said:

Again, you're relying on Bungie for that.  They will make it happen, but you're going to have to wait.  -Seasoned Destiny player  They either added it a month ago, or you will see it in a future update.

- Seasoned Destiny player - lulz same.

Part of the reason I'm a bit salty is that I want this game to run well on my hardware.

2 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Programmers have very little control over SMT/HT. The OS, Windows in this case, schedules threads to different cores as needed. This is likely not [just] a Ryzen fault, but the engine being lowered in core count for stability and seeing how far they need to actually distribute loads. 

Thing is, this is a purely SMT issue.  The r5 1400 behaves exactly like a 1200, the SMT is being ignored.  The 1600 only shows 6 core usage. Purely amd.

12 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Yes.  I am fully aware of the fact that this is a beta.  Read the full thread as I elaborate here on RUMORS about this being a purely intel feature.

I read the complete review. Rumors aren't very reliable and i'd be surprised to see it happen. Especially with the PC community they will be flamed intensely.

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

Just now, Damascus said:

Part of the reason I'm a bit salty is that I want this game to run well on my hardware.

Thing is, this is a purely SMT issue.  The r5 1400 behaves exactly like a 1200, the SMT is being ignored.  The 1600 only shows 6 core usage. Purely amd.

Again, likely not just a Ryzen issue as it could be something with the OS's scheduler. Just need to wait for the fix. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

3 minutes ago, MeDownYou said:

I read the complete review. Rumors aren't very reliable and i'd be surprised to see it happen. Especially with the PC community they will be flamed intensely.

Twitch Destiny streamer TeftyTeft said he's spoken with Bungie, and that the PC version will be able to use all the cores on your PC, including even on insane 10-core and higher models. "If you have an i9 Extreme, it will be able to take advantage of all those cores."

http://www.pcgamer.com/destiny-2-pc-will-be-able-to-use-all-the-cores-of-your-cpu/#comment-jump

From the closely related horses mouth it is oi say.

4 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Again, likely not just a Ryzen issue as it could be something with the OS's scheduler. Just need to wait for the fix. 

Why would a 1400 be a functional 4c4t while the 7700k uses 4c8t in this scenario?

6 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Bungie enjoys our tears.  -Sherpa 5 from the100.io. xD 

Yup, I gave up on the game after I was a maxed out guardian who COULDN'T F***ING PUT ON HIS F***ING EXOTIC GEAR GOD DAMN IT.

You can only wear one exotic armor piece and 1 exotic weapon at a time minus those random faction class items.

Yeah I know, it was an issue of not being able to afford the expansions that allow you to equip your shiny new gear.

2 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Why would a 1400 be a functional 4c4t while the 7700k uses 4c8t in this scenario?

Do I look like I work for or with Bungie? Though, I wouldn't mind...

I'm more inclined to believe the engine is at fault, but who knows what the issue is. 

7 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Oh boy, can I come up with shitty conspiracy theories now?

As long as they don't involve Veggie Tales. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

As long as it's still a beta you can't really call them out yet. And no this isn't a lame "We're in beta because lol we're the best selling game on steam on early access why would we finish the game now?" situation either.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Can't believe I didn't look at this makes sense why I got the same FPS with all but the highest graphical settings. 

good thing the game is shit anyway

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

13 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

good thing the game is shit anyway

U no lake Destinoot?