The pace of obsolescence.

IKnight

With Moores law coming to a halt pretty soon, do you guys think that technology will keep becoming as obsolete at the same pace as it did from (let say) 1990-2010? 

And also, are we reaching a limit as to how small things can get/how much we can cram in (for example HDDs)?

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

Advocate for used/older hardware. Also one of the resident petrol heads. 

This pace has already slowed considerably. 4+ year old CPUs (Looking at you Haswell) are still within a small margin (10 - 15% IPC) of the most modern CPUs on the market. 

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

3 minutes ago, Moress said:

This pace has already slowed considerably. 4+ year old CPUs (Looking at you Haswell) are still within a small margin (10 - 15% IPC) of the most modern CPUs on the market. 

I have a 6 year old CPU and it still keeps up with the latest games. 

5 minutes ago, Moress said:

1 minute ago, BloodyWaters said:

I have a 6 year old CPU and it still keeps up with the latest games. 

That's a good point, considering my lga1366 Xeon still keeps up well. 

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

depends on the hardware mainly.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Just now, Sierra Fox said:

depends on the hardware mainly.

I was mostly thinking about computer hardware like GPUs,CPUs.... 

1 minute ago, ImadKnight said:

I was mostly thinking about computer hardware like GPUs,CPUs.... 

again, depends on the hardware. if you compare a 5 year old CPU to a new one, there's going to be a small improvement. whereas a 5 year old GPU to one today, gets absolutely destroyed

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

27 minutes ago, Moress said:

That's on intel and their complacency  . Look at progress on the gpu front as an example of performance increases . 

POWER has had quite a few improvements as well . 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Things are not getting smaller at the rate they used to , but i doubt performance increases will stall . The industry has quite a few tricks up it's sleeve.

And besides, companies WILL fight against Rock's Law . 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

9 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

That's on intel and their complacency  . Look at progress on the gpu front as an example of performance increases . 

POWER has had quite a few improvements as well . 

You mean power as in terms of efficiency or how "good" GPUs are getting? 

5 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

Things are not getting smaller at the rate they used to , but i doubt performance increases will stall . The industry has quite a few tricks up it's sleeve.

And besides, companies WILL fight against Rock's Law . 

I think we're going to be pushing for more cores/clock speeds, though even that has its limits. 

10 minutes ago, ImadKnight said:

Both. Pascal/Polaris were big jumps in both raw processing power and lowering of power usage ( Ignoring Vega <.<  )

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

12 minutes ago, Moress said:

Both. Pascal/Polaris were big jumps in both raw processing power and lowering of power usage ( Ignoring Vega <.<  )

True, the 1050ti can run on just 75w, whilst 1060s take 120w if I'm not mistaken.

And AMD has traditionally had a higher TDP/Voltage. 

5 minutes ago, ImadKnight said:

I think we're going to be pushing for more cores/clock speeds, though even that has its limits. 

I meant IBM's POWER architecture , not power consumption.

POWER 7 had single core perf similar to haswell back in 2010 , and was considerably faster in MT applications .

POWER 8 made significant advancements as well , and had 8 way SMT . 

IBM POWER 9 should provide even more performance. 

They are monster chips , and IBM uses those extra transistors very well.

Gpus are examples of chips that can absorb process node shrinks very well . 

Between 2010 and 2017 we went through 3 node shrinks .

We went from the gtx 480 to the titan Xp . That's an improvements of over 5x in terms of performance . Power consumption has even dropped .

We are going to see more cores for sure , i wouldn't doubt that. But that has it's limits . sooner or latter , chip designers will have to be smarter in how they use each transistor .New , more efficient architectures can help improve performance , especially when aided by AI . 

Accelerators can also provide HUGE performance advantages when coded for . Look at GPGPU as an example : decoding video is orders of magnitude faster when done in hardware vs software. I expect more in more processors to drop general purpose units in favor of specialized , very efficient number crunchers .

We might see existing computation modules such as Von Neumann and Harvard dropped entirely , in favor of massively parallel architectures , such as DARPA's HIVE. The issue isn't in building them , it's in coding for them .

I don't see NAND or RAM stopping in growth . They can easily be stacked , and already are . MRAM is also gaining traction . Of course , there is a practical limit to chip height , but i don't think it'll be an issue for a long time.

Of course , this is just covering existing technologies . New tech ( some of it possibly already being researched ) could solve many issues , but it's just speculation at this point . Graphene hasn't really made it out of the lab , and we aren't capable of producing quantum computers that don't require a near 0 Kelvin Operating temperature , so don't count on that in the short term. Producing Consumer-grade quantum computers would require a breakthrough as revolutionary as the transistor , and we haven't seen it yet ...

29 minutes ago, Moress said:

Vega is a number crunching power house . It is more efficient than polaris in that regard , with support for FP16 ( with 2 FP16 per clock ) , and Variable width SIMD . Problem is it doesn't translate well into gaming.

Yay, wall of text coming!

I'm now struggling to understand where people think every generation needs to have a significant jump in performance after taking a look at various reviews over the years. I went back to look at reviews of:

• Athlon XP vs. Athlon 64
  • Pentium 4 vs. Conroe
  • Phenom vs. Phenom II
  • Penryn vs. Conroe
  • Lynnfield vs. Penryn

This covers a good portion of the 2000s. The only time I saw a performance jump that people seem to be lusting for was at Pentium 4 vs. Conroe. However, I would argue most of that was because the Pentium 4 was such an inefficient architecture to begin with. Similarly with the performance jump from Bulldozer/Piledriver/Excavator to Zen. Everything else was within < 15% of an increase in performance on average when you compare it clock for clock.

Though the one thing I did notice that possibly helped contribute to performance jumps was the fact on average for most of the 2000s, the average clock speed of a processor was under 3.0GHz. During the last year of that decade, we were just breaking that speed for a midrange processor.

However, I won't deny that back in the 80s and 90s, there were huge jumps in performance every few years. But I would also argue those were due to major advances in hardware features in the CPU. Things like:

• Moving to microcodes that acts like RISC instead of using pure CISC
  • Integrating L2 cache
  • Superscalar pipelining
  • Branch prediction
  • Out-of-order execution
  • Integrating SIMD processing

The last major improvement in the 2000s? The only two things I can think of are integrating the memory controller and multiple cores together. Neither really do much for IPC performance.

So why can GPUs continue to receive what amounts to 50%+ performance boosts per generation? Because two things:

• They use very simple "processor cores", making it easy to pack in more execution units together.
  • They work on embarrassingly parallel problems that will effectively scale up to "impracticality"

Most of the applications most people tend to throw on a CPU tend to be I/O bound. For example, the web browser. You can make it as fast all you want, but if your internet connection sucks, it's going to perform just as bad.

39 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Yay, wall of text coming!

I'm now struggling to understand where people think every generation needs to have a significant jump in performance after taking a look at various reviews over the years. I went back to look at reviews of:

• Athlon XP vs. Athlon 64
  • Pentium 4 vs. Conroe
  • Phenom vs. Phenom II
  • Penryn vs. Conroe
  • Lynnfield vs. Penryn

This covers a good portion of the 2000s. The only time I saw a performance jump that people seem to be lusting for was at Pentium 4 vs. Conroe. However, I would argue most of that was because the Pentium 4 was such an inefficient architecture to begin with. Similarly with the performance jump from Bulldozer/Piledriver/Excavator to Zen. Everything else was within < 15% of an increase in performance on average when you compare it clock for clock.

Though the one thing I did notice that possibly helped contribute to performance jumps was the fact on average for most of the 2000s, the average clock speed of a processor was under 3.0GHz. During the last year of that decade, we were just breaking that speed for a midrange processor.

However, I won't deny that back in the 80s and 90s, there were huge jumps in performance every few years. But I would also argue those were due to major advances in hardware features in the CPU. Things like:

• Moving to microcodes that acts like RISC instead of using pure CISC
  • Integrating L2 cache
  • Superscalar pipelining
  • Branch prediction
  • Out-of-order execution
  • Integrating SIMD processing

The last major improvement in the 2000s? The only two things I can think of are integrating the memory controller and multiple cores together. Neither really do much for IPC performance.

So why can GPUs continue to receive what amounts to 50%+ performance boosts per generation? Because two things:

• They use very simple "processor cores", making it easy to pack in more execution units together.
  • They work on embarrassingly parallel problems that will effectively scale up to "impracticality"

Most of the applications most people tend to throw on a CPU tend to be I/O bound. For example, the web browser. You can make it as fast all you want, but if your internet connection sucks, it's going to perform just as bad.

I mean, I understand that every generation only brings an incremental upgrade. Over time, the performance difference becomes substantial. And it's that lack of innovation in the last 10-20 years that you have pointed out that, that makes me question if we are 'moving' at the same pace (which from what I gather is a no).

(I should explain, I'm mostly asking this because, in 10-15 years, I want to build a 'current dream computer' using hardware like Titan XPs and Intel X edition CPUs (which will hopefully by then become obsolete)).

5 hours ago, ImadKnight said:

With Moores law coming to a halt pretty soon, do you guys think that technology will keep becoming as obsolete at the same pace as it did from (let say) 1990-2010? 

It's only slowing because we're approaching the limits of silicon. Once we transition into something else (likely carbon based semiconductors), we will see larger leaps between generations and Moore's law may fall into place again.

System specs:

GTX 1050

16GB DDR3

Samsung evo SSD

a few HDD's

4 hours ago, ImadKnight said:

That's a good point, considering my lga1366 Xeon still keeps up well. 

:o Off topic, but: @WhisperingKnickers, Xeon CPU Master Race FTW!

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

16 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

:o Off topic, but: @WhisperingKnickers, Xeon CPU Master Race FTW!

Care to explain? xD

18 minutes ago, Terryv said:

It's only slowing because we're approaching the limits of silicon. Once we transition into something else (likely carbon based semiconductors), we will see larger leaps between generations and Moore's law may fall into place again.

Aren't we still fairly far from transitioning from silicon?... 

4 minutes ago, ImadKnight said:

Care to explain? xD

WhisperingKnickers is building up a massive LGA1366 Xeon collection, he keeps getting good deals on them. I really want them now, since a solid 3+ GHZ 6-core CPU for $50 is pretty attractive. I'm getting a 4c/8t Xeon and mobo from him as an upgrade from my 4c/4t i5 2400. 

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 minute ago, Zando Bob said:

WhisperingKnickers is building up a massive LGA1366 Xeon collection, he keeps getting good deals on them. I really want them now, since a solid 3+ GHZ 6-core CPU for $50 is pretty attractive. I'm getting a 4c/8t Xeon and mobo from him as an upgrade from my 4c/4t i5 2400. 

Oh ok. I got mine for around €20. :D Granted though, mine has been giving me problems with overclocking. Anything higher than 3.6ghz won't work, even with added voltage. And now that I've got new ram, anything about 3.2ish GHZ and it will refuse to post+only 2/4 ram sticks become detected. sigh.... 

1 minute ago, ImadKnight said:

Oh ok. I got mine for around €20. :D Granted though, mine has been giving me problems with overclocking. Anything higher than 3.6ghz won't work, even with added voltage. And now that I've got new ram, anything about 3.2ish GHZ and it will refuse to post+only 2/4 ram sticks become detected. sigh.... 

Huh. I know WK has a dead RAM stick, but I don't think his board supports overclocking, since it's a dual socket server board. The only dual socket ones that do are $500-$600. 

Main PC 

7 minutes ago, ImadKnight said:

I havent overclocked due to most dual socket boards not allowing it though I might look into a modded bios in increase my base clock. Even without overclocking, I once saw my x5690s hit 3.9ghz while I was folding so that is exciting :) 

That is weird with the ram, the only issue I've had is that it won't detect one of my sticks but that could very easily be that one of my dimms is bad or I have a bad stick of ram

⬇ - PC specs down below - ⬇

The Impossibox

CPU: (x2) Xeon X5690 12c/24t (6c/12t per cpu)

Motherboard: EVGA Super Record 2 (SR-2)

RAM: 48Gb (12x4gb) server DDR3 ECC

GPU: MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB

Case: Modded Lian-LI PC-08

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500Gb and a 2Tb HDD

PSU: 1000W something or other I forget

Display(s): 24" Acer G246HL

Cooling: (x2) Corsair H100i v2

Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 LUX RGB MX Browns

Mouse: Logitech G600

Headphones: Sennheiser HD558

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Folding info so I don't lose it: 

WhisperingKnickers

Join us on the x58 page it is awesome!

x58 Fan Page

28 minutes ago, ImadKnight said:

Silicon has a theoretical minimum size f about 5-6 nanometers. Intel, nvida and AMD will have 7nm in the next 12-24 months. We're very close to the limits. Only way to cheat that is to increase core counts, but that only goes so far and CPU's get larger in the process.

System specs:

GTX 1050

16GB DDR3

Samsung evo SSD

a few HDD's

10 minutes ago, WhisperingKnickers said:

I havent overclocked due to most dual socket boards not allowing it though I might look into a modded bios in increase my base clock. Even without overclocking, I once saw my x5690s hit 3.9ghz while I was folding so that is exciting :) 

That is weird with the ram, the only issue I've had is that it won't detect one of my sticks but that could very easily be that one of my dimms is bad or I have a bad stick of ram

The (single CPU) board I have is really nice cause its got crossfire/sli support, USB3.0, overclocking support... I think that the overlocking problem for might just be bad luck with the silicon lottery. And it also looks like 2 of my RAM slots arent working (possibly due to bent pins on my MOBO?...).