Intel Unveils Movidius Myriad X Vision Processing Unit

Movidius, now an intel company, has announced the Myriad X VPU in which the company claims that its the worlds first Vision Processing Unit (VPU) containing a dedicated Neural Compute Engine.

Movidius aims to dedicate AI capabilities within everyday devices through multiple of its initiatives. The AI capabilities are divided into two steps: extensive learning which provides data into a machine learning algorithem so it can train itself to complete a task, such as identify images, words, or analyze a video. This in depth process often requires large amounts of resources in the data centre which can control many different formats of compute, such as GPU's, FPGA's and ASIC's. Movidius provides its Fathom Compute Stick to conduct limited in depth learning capabilities to embedded devices.

Source: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-movidius-vpu-ai-inference,35327.html

My opinion: I think that intel's new innovation of AI processors would change the way we all experience the world of technology in terms of the capabilities and potential of these processors in different devices. When it comes to the combination of vision processing with AI capabilities, I think that these new features will boost the processing power of different applications that use AI capabilities and change the way technology is controlled by using an AI to control devices.

It's an embedded SoC like dozens of other processing chips for plenty of other tasks. I'm not quite sure what good it'd do in your BluRay player, but that's the type of "device" this would be for.

"Machine Learning" is rapidly overtaking "Internet of Things" for "the next BIG thing". Optimization is great and all, but we're already reaching peak saturation for consumer use. So many of the "great" ideas won't work well until we get about a 10x increase in battery life at current power draw.

5 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

It's an embedded SoC like dozens of other processing chips for plenty of other tasks. I'm not quite sure what good it'd do in your BluRay player, but that's the type of "device" this would be for.

"Machine Learning" is rapidly overtaking "Internet of Things" for "the next BIG thing". Optimization is great and all, but we're already reaching peak saturation for consumer use. So many of the "great" ideas won't work well until we get about a 10x increase in battery life at current power draw.

No, I think you missed the point. It's a Movidus chip. So it's an ARM CPU + Vector Math unit (kinda like a GPU, but optimized for lots of small calculations) specifically designed for machine vision. It isn't intended for things like bluray players, but rather Drones, Security Cameras, and other devices so they can have onboard image recognition and subject identification.

The whole "AI" and "Neural Compute Engine" parts really just complicate matters. It's just a chip for running deep-learning image recognition networks on embedded vision devices.

I'll be interested to see what's changed since Movidus' older chips. Is it just a shrink, or...?

Edit: Looks like it's got a bit heavier duty hardware in it than the previous gen. Wonder if we'll see more manufacturers start to roll over to these.

I was gonna get on them for going full-on Turbo Encabulator, but turns out there's actually a distinction: VPUs (V for 'vision', as opposed to 'video') are like GPUs but lack specialized  graphics hardware (from Wikipedia, hardware for rasterization and texture mapping) and use a different memory architecture that focuses on local communication rather than off-chip memory, as well as a couple other things...

Oh well.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.