drones combined with AI to track sharks in Australia

BlazingBlob

https://www.engadget.com/2017/08/27/drones-watch-australian-beaches-for-sharks/

although we have so many nets around australian beaches this will be an interesting thing to follow

but i dont understand how this will be effective, for example

sharks can come around at any time so for how log do they expect to have these drones out there? half a day on a roation schedule??

hopfully when and if they implement this system it will help

"The detection AI is a quintessential machine learning system. The team trains the system to both look for sharks based on aerial videos as well as distinguish them from other life on the water. That approach doesn't just help it identify sharks, though. It can also flag dolphins, whales and other sea creatures of interest, which could give researchers an additional way to track populations."

I may be really tired but this sounds like what the world really needs.

Also you need to include a quote form the article to meet guidelines.

19 minutes ago, PopReference said:

I may be really tired but this sounds like what the world really needs.

Also you need to include a quote form the article to meet guidelines.

yes i agree, and thanks for letting me know :)

9 minutes ago, CapedCrusader21 said:

How long until we're using these to track people autonomously?

Won't happen. People will shoot them with cheap air rifles. In cities they already have CCTV on every street corner. Every government building you can be guaranteed you can be tracked. Private buildings would depend on the security company. All within law of course, but dot com and snowden have proven spies and cops don't always act lawfully

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

11 hours ago, tdrevon said:

although we have so many nets around australian beaches this will be an interesting thing to follow

"The detection AI is a quintessential machine learning system. The team trains the system to both look for sharks based on aerial videos as well as distinguish them from other life on the water. That approach doesn't just help it identify sharks, though. It can also flag dolphins, whales and other sea creatures of interest, which could give researchers an additional way to track populations."

I believe your post doesn't follow guidelines for news forum. Not trying to be a mod, just saying you might want to change stuff before this gets locked for not meeting guidelines.

On topic, this is pretty cool :)

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

These with the smart buoys hopefully we can finally get rid of nets that are killing marine life.

10 hours ago, paddy-stone said:

I believe your post doesn't follow guidelines for news forum. Not trying to be a mod, just saying you might want to change stuff before this gets locked for not meeting guidelines.

On topic, this is pretty cool :)

okay thanks, ill look over the guidelines and check 

but yea it is pretty cool will be iteresting to see how this will work though

What if the drones run out of battery? Then they would have to return to shore, losing the shark.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Shreyas1 said:

What if the drones run out of battery? Then they would have to return to shore, losing the shark.

exactally, the management of such a project would me massive

14 hours ago, Shreyas1 said:

If they could put solar panels on these drones for self recharging, that might extend the flight time without adding a massively heavy battery.

Interesting topic. Will need to follow this tech.

Even though others have mentioned it your post doesn't follow the guidelines lemme give you the link to the rule so you can review them and update your post.

Here ya go; (see below)

When creating a thread in the News subforum, please make sure your post meets the following criteria:

• Your thread must include some original input to tell the reader why it is relevant to them, and what your personal opinion on the topic is. This needs to be MORE than just a quick, single comment to meet the posting guidelines.
  • Your thread must include a link to at least one reputable source. Most of the time, this should be a respected news site.
  • Your thread should also include quotes from the cited source(s). While you shouldn't just copy the entire article, your quote should give the reader a summary of the article in a way that gives the key details, but also leaves room for them to read the full article on the linked website. Please use quote tags (the speech bubble at the top of the editor, under the  :)) to show that you have copied this content from another site.
  • The title of your thread must be relevant to the topic and should give a reader a good idea of the contents of the thread. Copying the title of the source is permitted but absolutely not required. It should be to the point and not be done in such a way as to mislead a reader, such as clickbait, etc.
  • If your article is about a product or some form of media, images are always appreciated, although they are not required.

Failure to comply may result in your thread being locked or removed without warning.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

15 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Interesting topic. Will need to follow this tech.

Even though others have mentioned it your post doesn't follow the guidelines lemme give you the link to the rule so you can review them and update your post.

Here ya go; (see below)

okay da we go, i think i have now changed it to adhere to the guidelines,

but if not please do tell me how i can improve it to comply with the above mentioned guidelines

On 8/27/2017 at 6:34 PM, BlazingBlob said:

but i dont understand how this will be effective, for example

sharks can come around at any time so for how log do they expect to have these drones out there? half a day on a roation schedule??

hopfully when and if they implement this system it will help

Is this to help prevent Sharknados?

14 minutes ago, BlazingBlob said:

okay da we go, i think i have now changed it to adhere to the guidelines,

but if not please do tell me how i can improve it to comply with the above mentioned guidelines

That is pretty much the minimum you need. As you hang around the forum you will pick up on the way we post things. I do suggest taking a look around other News post to see the common format used. 

Welcome to the forum by the way if I have not said that to you before. 

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Just now, SansVarnic said:

That is pretty much the minimum you need. As you hang around the forum you will pick up on the way we post things. I do suggest taking a look around other News post to see the common format used. 

Welcome to the forum by the way if I have not said that to you before. 

okay great :) 

thanks for letting me know

On 8/29/2017 at 7:51 AM, Jito463 said:

If they could put solar panels on these drones for self recharging, that might extend the flight time without adding a massively heavy battery.

Still, seems very resource intensive. What if a storm approaches? What if the shark decides to swim deeper? Seems like too many points of failure and if something lika a storm does appear, the drones would have to return to shore, and people would have to go around collecting them.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler