Why do people waste money on faster RAM?

I do not really understand why someone would spend so much extra on faster RAM that may or may not work with their CPU and motherboard, and I do not understand why companies would sell products(motherboards and CPUs) that may or may not work with top dollar RAM. I am so pissed off because my friend spent good money to buy 4000  MHZ DDR4 and his $1700 dollar i7 and $500 ROG modherboard will only run it at 2400 MHZ, no matter what we do. It's not the RAM, I tested it in my system, the CPU just doesn't have a good enough memory controller to run it. This is BS!

• For a CPU based on Ryzen architecture, increasing memory speed up to 3600Mhz will significantly and noticeably boost performance. I feel your pain though. 

10 minutes ago, lexidobe said:

I do not really understand why someone would spend so much extra on faster RAM that may or may not work with their CPU and motherboard, and I do not understand why companies would sell products(motherboards and CPUs) that may or may not work with top dollar RAM. I am so pissed off because my friend spent good money to buy 4000  MHZ DDR4 and his $1700 dollar i7 and $500 ROG modherboard will only run it at 2400 MHZ, no matter what we do. It's not the RAM, I tested it in my system, the CPU just doesn't have a good enough memory controller to run it. This is BS!

with ryzen it make sence but otherwise they are ritch fucks who want ot owaste their money on unncecisary thing s that oyu dont even need because it wont affect preformence

9 minutes ago, lexidobe said:

You're not going to run 4000 on X99. If you're really good at OC you can do 3466.

You have to use a 125 bclk and raise the volt.

2 minutes ago, dexT said:

You're not going to run 4000 on X99. If you're really good at OC you can do 3466.

You have to use a 125 bclk and raise the volt.

Maybe I just got a golden CPU, but I can run 3600 on my i7 6850K. I didn't try 4000, but 3600 works.

16 minutes ago, lexidobe said:

Do some research before spewing nonsense. This goes to the person who agrees with your post.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Lol, ryzen (and many other cpus) needs to have ram that is ON THE QVL.  Also, did you update to the newest bios and is it b-die?

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

intel idk

AMD Ryzen gets huge performance gains from fast RAM, on the QVL using samsung die

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

37 minutes ago, lexidobe said:

4000MHz is overkill, but faster RAM does  mean better performance.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

27 minutes ago, lexidobe said:

Maybe I just got a golden CPU, but I can run 3600 on my i7 6850K. I didn't try 4000, but 3600 works.

Ah yeah B-E does go a little higher. Try your ram on his rig.

Just now, dexT said:

Ah yeah B-E does go a little higher. Try your ram on his rig.

I tried my 3000 EVGA RAM is his system and it didn't change anything.

4 hours ago, lexidobe said:

Dafuq? Are you normal? Every motherboard with a decent chipset (B350,X370,Z270) will run memory as high as the IMC will let it.

Thats complete BS that you think the RoG mobo will run only 2400MHz. Thats speed recommended by JEDEC, noone has to follow that.

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

4 hours ago, Damascus said:

Lol, ryzen (and many other cpus) needs to have ram that is ON THE QVL.  Also, did you update to the newest bios and is it b-die?

I have to disagree, i use the legendary Hynix version of 3200MHz LPX kit, which is not on the QVL of my mobo. I am runnig at 2933MHz with custom C14 timings. 

28 minutes ago, dfg666 said:

Because you obviously don't know how to properly configure RAM.

lol xD

Not the fault of every1 else, you should have done proper research. If you would want to use very fast RAM without having the extra bit of fiddling you would had just bought an APEX board.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

4 hours ago, dave_k said:

I have to disagree, i use the legendary Hynix version of 3200MHz LPX kit, which is not on the QVL of my mobo. I am runnig at 2933MHz with custom C14 timings. 

Not an absolute, more of a rule of thumb.  If your kit is legendary I'm going to assume it's quality and with AGESA it becomes easier anyways.

Also a b-die kit could probably get to 3333 cas 15/16

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

I run 4000mhz galax goc 2016 in my ryzen system at 3200mhz. Are you triggered? 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

8 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

Do some research before spewing nonsense. This goes to the person who agrees with your post.

Well, his post isn't nonsenses given the lack of research done ;-)

9 hours ago, lexidobe said:

Contact me, I think I can help you. Have you tried XMP?

10 hours ago, lexidobe said:

I've got to be honest bud.  I can't see how you are "pissed off" at manufacturers when all of the information that you needed is readily available.

There's nothing wrong with the CPU, RAM or motherboard.  There is however something wrong with the combination of the 3 that you put together.

You can easily get that RAM running at much higher than 2400 MHz with some manual tweaking, but there's no chance that you're going to set XMP and go. 

9 hours ago, lexidobe said:

While in very rare cases, 3600 MHz on BWE is possible, more often than not people are actually sacrificing stability to run at that speed.  It might be stable enough for light use, but when pushed, ugly things start to happen.  

2 hours ago, bsodmike said:

Well, his post isn't nonsenses given the lack of research done ;-)

his post lacks nonsense.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list