How to make your internet faster!

Jelly Boy
  1. To get a faster internet speed using OpenDNS, open Control Panel.
  2. Go to Network and Sharing Center.
  3. Here, click the name of the network connection, be it WiFi or Ethernet.
    Get Faster Internet 1
  4. On the next window that pops, click Properties.
    Get Faster Internet 2
  5. Click the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and click on Properties.
    Get Faster Internet 3
  6. Now click Use the following DNS server addresses radio button and enter the addresses given below to get a faster internet speed:
    Preferred DNS server: 208.67.222.222
    Alternate DNS server: 208.67.220.220
    If you want, you can interchange these addresses. Click OK to save and continue.
    Get Faster Internet 4

Changing your DNS does squat for internet speed.

Your ISP still dictates your bandwidth and data caps (if any)

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Just now, revsilverspine said:

Changing your DNS does squat for internet speed.

Your ISP still dictates your bandwidth and data caps (if any)

It does affect the ping.

3 minutes ago, Jelly Boy said:

It does affect the ping.

It does not impact ping.

The only thing that would be impacted is the resolution time of the DNS to IP address and maybe a couple hops though different servers depending on the site being resolved.

Changing DNS from your ISP's default to something else can speed up site loading times and resolution times though but as for actual speed, it wont.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

8 minutes ago, Jelly Boy said:

It does affect the ping.

You know a local caching DNS server would be a better solution. 

No it doesn't effect ping, it only effect initial ping/response time. After getting the IP, your local machine will cache that DNS name with an IP. The rest is under your ISP routing. 

Magical Pineapples

Just now, Lurick said:

It does not impact ping.

The only thing that would be impacted is the resolution time of the DNS to IP address and maybe a couple hops though different servers depending on the site being resolved.

It did on mine:

Without Trick:                                        With Trick

Ping: 0.17                                              Ping: 17

MBPS Download: 58.30mbps               MBPS Download: 67.24mbps

MBPS Upload: 54.67mbps                    MBPS Upload: 65.28mbps

16 minutes ago, Jelly Boy said:

It does affect the ping.

8 minutes ago, Jelly Boy said:

It did on mine:

It reduces the amount of time it takes to convert a site such as google.com to 2404:6800:4006:803::200e or 216.58.199.46

Althrough caching dns queries within your network would be much faster.

this doesnt do anything only set a manual DNS server. You might as well set it on your router.

If you want faster internet, switch to a router like mikrotik with CPU connected ports, it will shave up to 2ms off your ping. You can apply the DNS servers on the router too. I would recommend the CCR1009 as it has CPU connected ports, SFP, passively cooled variant, multi gigabit internet ready.

This way by using both a better router and DNS on the router it will improve your speeds better.

28 minutes ago, Jelly Boy said:

It did on mine:

I would need more proof of that anyways, one test doesn't show it will actually work. I presume you used speed test, did you use same server location and was the test conducted where no other users/computer are using the network? I mean there are a lot of variable that could gave you that result. 

Magical Pineapples

1 hour ago, MrUnknownEMC said:

I would need more proof of that anyways, one test doesn't show it will actually work. I presume you used speed test, did you use same server location and was the test conducted where no other users/computer are using the network? I mean there are a lot of variable that could gave you that result. 

Yes.

Where did you learn this from?

How will changing where addresses are converted to IPs help bandwidth?

26 minutes ago, Emmien said:

Where did you learn this from?

How will changing where addresses are converted to IPs help bandwidth?

Dunno, but it's just stronger and faster!

3 minutes ago, Jelly Boy said:

Dunno, but it's just stronger and faster!

No it isn't. Something else has changed.

I would just use DNS caching on pfSense so it affects the whole network :P 

It seems tedious to change it on every computer

My main computer:

i7 6700k || GTX 1070 || Asus Z170 RGB || C.M. Hyper 212 EVO || 16GB RAM || 256GB NVMe SSD || 500GB SATA SSD || 12TB total HDD || Define R5 Blackout || 850W PSU

More Details Below :) 

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k                             GPU:  EVGA GTX 1070 FTW                                  |  Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Aura
CPU Cooler: C.M. Hyper 212 EVO             RAM: 16GB Kingston Fury 4x4 DDR4 2400MHz         SSD:  Intel 256GB NVMe SSD & Plextor 500GB SATA SSD

Hard Drive:  WD 2TB Black, 2TB WD Blue, 8TB WD Red     Case:  Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout Edition   PSU:  Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 850W

Additional Computer Parts: NZXT Hue for LEDs

Peripherals: Dell U2414H (x2) || Corsair Sabre RGB || Corsair K95 Platinum || Sennheiser 558's || Modmic

Pictures of setup:

8 hours ago, Jelly Boy said:

It did on mine:

I'm not 100% sure you know what DNS is, so let me explain in very basic terms and I will then explain why this is not a solid performance-increasing solution. 

DNS is a Domain Name System, it;s used to resolve names into IP Addresses, and can be used for vice-versa.  Using a high quality DNS Service like OpenDNS does have benefits, like decreased DNS Query time due to better servers & infrastructure and lots of caching.  It is no secret that OpenDNS caches on their servers.  This means OpenDNS can be faster if you are close to it, unfortunately here in New Zealand I cannot receive those benefits as the nearest OpenDNS server is in Australia. 

The reason this shouldn't be increasing internet upload and download is found in the above paragraph, because DNS is only used to resolve domain names and vice-versa. The download itself occurs from the IP address and not from the domain name (as far as I'm aware).  The only way this would improve is if you were running a proxy server, which is routing your connection through another server.  Often done for anonymity or connecting to a service that the proxy is white-listed to. 

Although I'm not directly blaming you for fabricating those above stats, I'm also curious as to why the ping without the trick is 0.17 which is faster than with the trick, which has a ping of 17.  While the download and upload are opposite in terms of where they should be according to the ping speed.  This means that either your connection is extremely flakky, or you fabricated those statistics.  

OpenDNS is a great DNS Service, and does indeed have many benefits depending on your location to the server + your needs (filtering, caching etc).  But I don't think it should cause an improvement in this context.  Best of luck Jelly Boy!  

@Jelly Boy After 5 years in IT, please don't change the DNS settings on the client side..... It should only be done on the router or server side.

By changing the DNS on the client side it can break netbios name resolution. This is if you are on your own network,  if you're on a college or business network, it may cause you to lose access to internal resources depending on firewall and DNS rules, you may even lose full internet access. Another issue while adding the rest of the issues on top, the router or firewall may redirect your DNS request to whoever else they normally use without you knowing.

Changing your DNS servers won't speed up your internet, just the resolution of DNS names to IP addresses. Also, Open DNS isn't even the fastest or easiest to remember, Google is 8.8.8.8 (Primary) and 8.8.4.4 (Secondary), another good option is Level 3, although, they do resolve names to their own service when no record is found, not good :/. 4.4.4.3, 4.4.4.4, and 4.4.4.5 to my knowledge, they also have 2 other servers at 209.244.0.X, he's a list.... https://www.lifewire.com/free-and-public-dns-servers-2626062

With all that's been said, we still haven't covered IPv6, you have IPv6 and fail to change these servers as well, then you fail. IPv6 I believe is served over IPv4 in almost every case if your ISP gives you IPv6 and your router has it configured. If you want the best DNS servers for you, use this tool by GRC's "DNS Benchmark
Domain Name Speed Benchmark tool" here: https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm I don't think it supports IPv6 however :P.

TL:DR: You shouldn't change your DNS on your PC/Phone it can break stuff. OpenDNS is not always best depending on ISP. IPv6 will also need to be changed if you go this route and you have IPv6 enabled. Use this tool for the best IPv4 DNS servers.

1 hour ago, Chaz042 said:

@Jelly Boy After 5 years in IT, please don't change the DNS settings on the client side..... It should only be done on the router or server side.

By changing the DNS on the client side it can break netbios name resolution. This is if you are on your own network,  if you're on a college or business network, it may cause you to lose access to internal resources depending on firewall and DNS rules, you may even lose full internet access. Another issue while adding the rest of the issues on top, the router or firewall may redirect your DNS request to whoever else they normally use without you knowing.

Changing your DNS servers won't speed up your internet, just the resolution of DNS names to IP addresses. Also, Open DNS isn't even the fastest or easiest to remember, Google is 8.8.8.8 (Primary) and 8.8.4.4 (Secondary), another good option is Level 3, although, they do resolve names to their own service when no record is found, not good :/. 4.4.4.3, 4.4.4.4, and 4.4.4.5 to my knowledge, they also have 2 other servers at 209.244.0.X, he's a list.... https://www.lifewire.com/free-and-public-dns-servers-2626062

With all that's been said, we still haven't covered IPv6, you have IPv6 and fail to change these servers as well, then you fail. IPv6 I believe is served over IPv4 in almost every case if your ISP gives you IPv6 and your router has it configured. If you want the best DNS servers for you, use this tool by GRC's "DNS Benchmark
Domain Name Speed Benchmark tool" here: https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm I don't think it supports IPv6 however :P.

TL:DR: You shouldn't change your DNS on your PC/Phone it can break stuff. OpenDNS is not always best depending on ISP. IPv6 will also need to be changed if you go this route and you have IPv6 enabled. Use this tool for the best IPv4 DNS servers.

There are also some enterprise/business side DNS servers which i tested to have better responded time compare to consumer dns server provided and especially during peak hours, some ISP dns will get higher respond time than usual but doesn't happen everyday. 

Magical Pineapples

11 hours ago, Jelly Boy said:

It does affect the ping.

Nope, it doesn't.

11 hours ago, Jelly Boy said:

It did on mine:

Caching DNS would be faster. It's probably your ISP using a really slow DNS. Mine is really fast so it won't matter.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

21 hours ago, JDE said:

Nope, it doesn't.

Caching DNS would be faster. It's probably your ISP using a really slow DNS. Mine is really fast so it won't matter.

Ok, whatever you say.

28 minutes ago, Jelly Boy said:

Ok, whatever you say.

Try using Google's DNS. It's probably faster than OpenDNS.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

On 8/26/2017 at 5:14 PM, Jelly Boy said:

Ok, whatever you say.

Dude changing you DNS doesnt affect ping and doesnt affect speeds. I dont know why you are in such denial about it.