If you were in my situation, which one would you get? $75 Vega 64 or $210 1080 Ti SC2

LaboonTheWhale

Before Anyone gets excited, these GPU's are not on sale at a discount at this price. This is from gift cards and coupons

Hey guys

So Best buy now has the Vega 64 back in stock (still for $600 BLEH) and they also have a EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 for $759.99 (price match to $749.99). 

So I have some gift cards on hand and was wondering which the situation I'm in, which one would you guys get? I currently run a 34" 3440x1440 Freesync and a 27" 2560zx1440 144hz Freesync monitor with my Fury X. 

My Fury X really struggles at this resolution and keeping up with the refreshrate and fps. So I'm looking to upgrade. 

With Best Buy, I currently have a 10% off coupon, $150 gift card, a $164 GC, $146 GC, and a $5 off coupon. so using some math, the vega 64 ends up at $75 w/o tax and the 1080 Ti ends up at $210. I think. it is late so i may get something wrong. 

So do I go with the overpriced but now affordable AMD card to manage Freesync? or get that infamous beast of a 1080 Ti and forget about the Freesync and go for raw horsepower. Which would you choose? These cards will receive a waterblock and liquid cooled. 

Edit: 1080 Ti in Title, not 980 Ti. 

if you already have an expensive freesync monitor and don't wish to spend say 500 or more on a gsync monitor then, definitely go with the vega. the ti will be a solid 20% faster but far more expensive if you factor in the cost of monitors and currently not of much use to you with freesync

realistically i think 2560 x 1440 is all a 1080 non ti/ vega 64 can really cope with at a good refresh rate

1080ti performs better, and while you do lose freesync, you can still use fastsync.

looking at raw price/performance though, vega 64 wins (assuming we're looking at $75, not 60).

personally i'd go 1080ti, but i cant argue that with these price points, the vega64 is a better deal.

OR, get the vega64, sell it online for just under msrp, then get the 1080ti, and you get profit

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

If you have freesync, go vega

if you don't, go 1080 ti

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Vega 64, 980ti will get ruined by newer games. 

8 minutes ago, LaboonTheWhale said:

Freesync monitor

also that 

the vega 64 has potential to get better in the future with improved drivers though

- SSUPD Meshlicous - Z170I - i7-6700K - Gigabyte 2080 - 16GB Corsair Vengance - 850 EVO 1TB - H115i ICUE Link- SF600

Just now, nerdslayer1 said:

Vega 64, 980ti will get ruined by newer games. 

also that 

my mistake. it was a 1080 Ti. 

Just now, Bradders said:

the vega 64 has potential to get better in the future with improved drivers though

But drivers won't save a card THAT much. I've had AMD all my life, but i'm not expecting them to pull some miracle in drivers. 

9 minutes ago, LaboonTheWhale said:

Before Anyone gets excited, these GPU's are not on sale at a discount at this price. This is from gift cards and coupons

Hey guys

So Best buy now has the Vega 64 back in stock (still for $600 BLEH) and they also have a EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 for $759.99 (price match to $749.99). 

So I have some gift cards on hand and was wondering which the situation I'm in, which one would you guys get? I currently run a 34" 3440x1440 Freesync and a 27" 2560zx1440 144hz Freesync monitor with my Fury X. 

My Fury X really struggles at this resolution and keeping up with the refreshrate and fps. So I'm looking to upgrade. 

With Best Buy, I currently have a 10% off coupon, $150 gift card, a $164 GC, $146 GC, and a $5 off coupon. so using some math, the vega 64 ends up at $75 w/o tax and the 1080 Ti ends up at $210. I think. it is late so i may get something wrong. 

So do I go with the overpriced but now affordable AMD card to manage Freesync? or get that infamous beast of a 1080 Ti and forget about the Freesync and go for raw horsepower. Which would you choose? These cards will receive a waterblock and liquid cooled. 

Edit: 1080 Ti in Title, not 980 Ti. 

Depends upon your Budget if you can afford 1080ti or else there are also more options like 930ti, etc.

2 minutes ago, LaboonTheWhale said:

my mistake. it was a 1080 Ti. 

still Vega 64, free sync monitor also is cheaper, save your money, drivers will give you a performance boost, once they get optimized. 

Just now, Colexd said:

Id prolly go with 1080ti. Also, title says 980ti.

I edited the title, but I guess It hasn't changed yet :/ 

i think the real question is, do you need the compute performance that vega provides? if not, get the 1080ti.

better future drivers is a shitty excuse honestly.

1 minute ago, Raziq_26 said:

Depends upon your Budget if you can afford 1080ti or else there are also more options like 930ti, etc.

budget is irrelevant in this case.  he can get either card for dirt cheap. he has no reason to get anything other the 2 he listed.

2 minutes ago, LaboonTheWhale said:

I edited the title, but I guess It hasn't changed yet :/ 

its totally fixed, people just need to refresh :)

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

5 minutes ago, Tsuki said:

i think the real question is, do you need the compute performance that vega provides? if not, get the 1080ti.

better future drivers is a shitty excuse honestly.

budget is irrelevant in this case.  he can get either card for dirt cheap. he has no reason to get anything other the 2 he listed.

its totally fixed, people just need to refresh :)

Just saw your "sell under MSRP" for Vega... that is very tempting. But I still need to upgrade my Fury X lol 

1 minute ago, LaboonTheWhale said:

Just saw your "sell under MSRP" for Vega... that is very tempting. But I still need to upgrade my Fury X lol 

shit, you can probably sell it over msrp cuz miners are dumb, then still go get the 1080ti at full price, probably still have money left over.

|Specs in profile|

1 minute ago, Tsuki said:

shit, you can probably sell it over msrp cuz miners are dumb, then still go get the 1080ti at full price, probably still have money left over.

it is plausible, It is tempting as I could probably sell for this hiked up price tag every retailer is selling at. And I cant say I'm familiar with fast sync. If I have Free sync built into my monitors, how does that differ? 

42 minutes ago, Tsuki said:

OR, get the vega64, sell it online for just under msrp, then get the 1080ti, and you get profit

scummy

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

You're looking at more than double the cost for what, 30% more performance?

Seems obvious to me considering both cards will deliver excellent performance at that resolution even ignoring any other factors (power consumption, cooling, freesync/GSYNC/vsync etc)

That said you're in that niche of enthusiast performance where maybe logic doesn't make sense with the whole upgrading from a FuryX thing and waterblock thing, so maybe the 1080Ti will suit you better. But based on pure performance/dollar moreso in this situation than any other Vega is the better choice.  

Personally I'm still waiting for a decent upgrade path.  SLI still has the best longevity, but there's disadvantages like waiting for SLI profiles.  1080Ti is like a 15% upgrade for $800+ CAD.  

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

Nvidia cards have always worked better for me than ATI/AMD, less artifact prone.

10 minutes ago, sgloux3470 said:

You're looking at more than double the cost for what, 30% more performance?

Seems obvious to me considering both cards will deliver excellent performance at that resolution even ignoring any other factors (power consumption, cooling, freesync/GSYNC/vsync etc)

That said you're in that niche of enthusiast performance where maybe logic doesn't make sense with the whole upgrading from a FuryX thing and waterblock thing, so maybe the 1080Ti will suit you better. But based on pure performance/dollar moreso in this situation than any other Vega is the better choice.  

Personally I'm still waiting for a decent upgrade path.  SLI still has the best longevity, but there's disadvantages like waiting for SLI profiles.  1080Ti is like a 15% upgrade for $800+ CAD.  

OH it's definitely a "first world problem" of I'm not getting enough fps with my previous flagship GPU. But if I want to try and run 144hz in games like siege and other more twitchy shooters, I would prefer not having to run medium/low 

2 hours ago, Amateur Gamer said:

The 64 has the strength of a 1080 so i'd get the 1080 Ti if you can afford it.

op has freesync tho, he'll get better gameplay out of vega

I'd wait for the AIB partners triple fan Vega cards then i would get a Vega 56 and under-volt and overclock it, these should be pretty much as fast as a reference 64 and should be a little cheaper and will run a lot cooler.

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

Considering you already have a freesync display and the price , i can't argue with vega 64 .

But you're better off waiting for aftermarket variants in september.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case