Crashplan Exiting Consumer Market

Sonderstory

Source: https://www.crashplan.com/en-us/consumer/nextsteps/?utm_source=email8222017&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=consumer&utm_content=annoucement&mkt_tok=eyJpIjoiWmpsaE4yUmpObVV4WW1FdyIsInQiOiJ1Y0d4RXc3RVBjSnJ5OWlkNVU1MHZmT1VqT3U5UkRBZjVpTVhiT3dmck5KVjQyM0tvWHp6WDlGVEZ3OUxWSFJOWVFUdDdGVm03MmpyeGg2WE11bzEyeGgxeXIwWXE0RlpqVWdScCsza0ZoY2lzS3dmcjZ1eFYyS2FUNCtcL1hBTTMifQ%3D%3D

Effective August 22, 2017, Code42 will no longer offer new – or renew – CrashPlan for Home subscriptions, and we will begin to sunset the product over several months. 
CrashPlan for Home will no longer be available for use starting October 23, 2018.

Crashplan.thumb.PNG.2f4ca06367145eb8c38c41bd6e75af4c.PNG

See the remained of the email received by those with Crashplan for Home below.

Important Information about your CrashPlan for Home Account.pdf

For those of us who are Crashplan for home users, seems like its time to start researching Backblaze and Carbonite, although Crashplan is recommending the latter in their email with a discount. You can also jump to Crashplan for Small Business, but the price increases from $5 a month/$60 per year for one computer to $10 a month/$120 per year per computer. If users choose to switch to Carbonite, they will be contacted 60 days before their Crashplan for Home subscription expires to begin their new backup. Good luck to those of us affected.

https://stratusly.com/backblaze-vs-crashplan-vs-carbonite-review-best-online-backup/ - A good review comparing the three backup methods mentioned above for those needing to switch.

I just went ahead and moved over to Small Business.

Even at $10 a month it isn't bad for continued unlimited backups and not having to re-backup around 7TB of data again is a plus.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

wait its only $10 a month for this? and it was cheaper? thats extremely cheap O.o i was imaganing like atleast $20 for a base plan

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I am so sick and tired of this shit. First i had Livedrive upload 6 TB of Data overseas and right after that finished, they cancelled all contracts. Then I switch over to crashplan, and guess what happened after i finished uploading? What do you say Linus, make an episode about cloud backup alternatives?

Right now i'm way too pissed to start comparing different providers knowing they can also just jump ship a few months after. Maybe you can do the heavy lifting? Do an episode and make some recommendations. Like colorful graphs with upload speed and so on. Unless squarespace or tunnelbear have cloud storage offers of course ;-)

1 hour ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

wait its only $10 a month for this? and it was cheaper? thats extremely cheap O.o i was imaganing like atleast $20 for a base plan

Yah, it was $60 a year for home plan single user :) 

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

Yah, it was $60 a year for home plan single user :) 

so is it now $70 or $10? you and this article has me confused xD 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

so is it now $70 or $10? you and this article has me confused xD 

It's now $10 a month or $120/year per device :)

Used to be $60/year or $5/month (single plan) or $120/year for the Family Plan (I think it was $120)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

It's now $10 a month or $120/year per device :)

Used to be $60/year or $5/month (single plan) or $120/year for the Family Plan (I think it was $120)

thats extremely cheap. wow.

Builds:

Spoiler

53 minutes ago, Redavatar said:

I am so sick and tired of this shit. First i had Livedrive upload 6 TB of Data overseas and right after that finished, they cancelled all contracts. Then I switch over to crashplan, and guess what happened after i finished uploading? What do you say Linus, make an episode about cloud backup alternatives?

Right now i'm way too pissed to start comparing different providers knowing they can also just jump ship a few months after. Maybe you can do the heavy lifting? Do an episode and make some recommendations. Like colorful graphs with upload speed and so on. Unless squarespace or tunnelbear have cloud storage offers of course ;-)

That makes me wonder why more services don't offer direct cloud transfer options (for a fee, even) when canceling subscriptions like this.  It makes sense to me, as they'd have the bandwidth to do it in a fraction of the time.  Pay a small fee, get your files transferred directly over to your new backup service.  All it would take is some cooperation between the providers.

At least they didn't pull a Bitcasa and make it $1000 per year for unlimited.  And then their servers basically collapsed and people couldn't even get their data off before they deleted it all.

Fuck Bitcasa.

EDIT: Yay, Bitcasa went out of business.

Workstation:  14700nonK || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 13700K @ Stock || MSI Z690 DDR4 || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3060 RTX Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

GSuite is 10 dollars for unlimited data

I'm sure if you have multiple devices or computers you can just change what folders backup and sync. Syncs up depending on the computer that your using. 

Plus they have the google drive which would allow for streaming or downloading of files to your phone. 

Also, I just found out that folders shared drive from another owner don't count towards your limit. Even if you "add it your drive"

31 minutes ago, snickerpop said:

GSuite is 10 dollars for unlimited data

31 minutes ago, snickerpop said:

folders shared drive from another owner don't count towards your limit.

Uh...what?  Either there is a limit or there isn't.  I'm confused.

Someone needs to host the data on Google drive. G suite for business It is advertised as 1tb, but if you join and look at your limits in settings it will say unlimited. It is 10 dollars a month

This will  work if you want to sync a folder you own to Google drive. In this case you could always change which folders are sync up depending on the computer.

Like for computer one you add 

Folders A and B to your Google drive

For computer two you log into the same account. Just and add folders

C and D. Maybe you want to sync folder B. In the settings you can add this folder as well. To this computer.

So it is all centrilzed to Google drive. And just distributed differently depending on the device.

Second part

I was saying that if you host the data on Google drive and are the owner. If you share the data with someone else. Who doesn't have unlimited data. It won't count towards their limit. 

In this case you could use someone elses. Computer to backup to. They would have to add your shared folder to their drive. The idea here is not having to share passwords. 

They have to add it to there drive so that it can be sync up to there computers hard drive. Since folders in the share with me section are not detected by backup and sync.

Until my Crashplan account expires, I still have the docker running on my unRAID server. I set up a Backblaze B2 account (sure, it's not unlimited for one price, but it's cheap for the amount of data I have). What's my process? I use SyncBackFree to transfer data from all my PCs over to unRAID, then unRAID does the upload via docker container. For Backblaze I use Duplicati. With my amount of data, i'll pay less than $10 per year, currently. If I decided to stick with Crashplan, it's only 1 device I would have to pay for as unRAID is the only one connected to Crashplan.

6 minutes ago, DJFraz said:

Until my Crashplan account expires, I still have the docker running on my unRAID server. I set up a Backblaze B2 account (sure, it's not unlimited for one price, but it's cheap for the amount of data I have). What's my process? I use SyncBackFree to transfer data from all my PCs over to unRAID, then unRAID does the upload via docker container. For Backblaze I use Duplicati. With my amount of data, i'll pay less than $10 per year, currently. If I decided to stick with Crashplan, it's only 1 device I would have to pay for as unRAID is the only one connected to Crashplan.

That is an interesting way to do it.

I wanted to do something like that but B2 gets expensive after a few TB of data. Especially if you need to recover the data

Wish I had know about duplicati. I am the only one with access to my Google drive. But have the data encrypted would be very cool.

16 minutes ago, snickerpop said:

That is an interesting way to do it.

I wanted to do something like that but B2 gets expensive after a few TB of data. Especially if you need to recover the data

Wish I had know about duplicati. I am the only one with access to my Google drive. But have the data encrypted would be very cool.

I've been using this process for about a year now. If I'm away from home on a laptop, I just connect to my VPN and let it sync.

I've only been on B2 about a week now so I'm not sure what the monthly will run. I don't backup my movies or anything, just dedicated backup shares. If I wanted to change that, I would stick with Crashplan and just upload every share. Still super cheap to do.

I don't trust companies with my data storage. Eventually I'm gonna build an externally accessible personal storage server.

3600X @ stocke | 5600XT TUF OC @ 1850 | 2x16 + 2x8 RAM 3200 HD | 1tb Samsung 970 EVO Plus | Lian Li 205M | TT Toughpower Grand RGB 850 | throwaway b450 asus mobo | BQ cooler

2 hours ago, DJFraz said:

I've been using this process for about a year now. If I'm away from home on a laptop, I just connect to my VPN and let it sync.

I've only been on B2 about a week now so I'm not sure what the monthly will run. I don't backup my movies or anything, just dedicated backup shares. If I wanted to change that, I would stick with Crashplan and just upload every share. Still super cheap to do.

Putting this here for anyone else who might need it

https://www.backblaze.com/b2/cloud-storage-pricing.html

They have their pricing calculator here. You can figure how much it going to ensure over a year. 

Based on upload 

How much you need to download.

They give a discount if you delete data as well

17 minutes ago, snickerpop said:

https://www.backblaze.com/b2/cloud-storage-pricing.html

They have their pricing calculator here. You can figure how much it going to ensure over a year. 

Based on upload 

How much you need to download.

They give a discount if you delete data as well

Yep. That's where I estimate around $10/yr currently. It's backup only, so after the initial upload there won't be much more at a time.

• 4 weeks later...

I really liked Crashplan, It was perfect for my setup. I ran it on a server with lots of storage and could back up all my PCs to it, add family members as "friends" to use my storage, and back up remotely. Super simple and I liked the way data was encrypted on a per-account basis. The free solutions just don't quite seem to do it all in one like CP did! 

I will be honest, at first I thought it was a parody of Floatplane club by the title.