Ps4 with the razer core (solved)

Hi,

I have a question. I want to upgrade my ps4 with the Razer core and a 1080, but I don't know if it's possible. Can someone help me? Thanks

To the best of my knowledge, it is not possible

No it's not possible at all due to the PS4 having a GPU inside of it and you need Razers software to run the core (pretty sure of that)

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

6 minutes ago, ..... said:

Hi,

I have a question. I want to upgrade my ps4 with the Razer core and a 1080, but I don't know if it's possible. Can someone help me? Thanks

100% not possible, That's the sacrifice with buying a console. No upgradeability

MochPot: AMD Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB 3200MHz DDR4, ASRock X370 Fatality K7, 8GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070, 256gb Salvaged Intel Rando NVME SSD, Corsair RM750x, Corsair Carbide 275R, Windows 10 Pro

ZenServerRequiem: AMD Ryzen 3 2200g, 32GB 3200MHz DDR4, MSI B450 Gaming Plus, 4GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 960, 2GB Nvidia Quadro P400, 500gb Salvaged Intel Rando NVME SSD (Cache Drive only), 3 x Seagate Baracuda 2TB, Corsair CX500, Corsair Carbine 750T, Limetech Unraid (Running Plex, Jackett, Sonarr, WireShark, Duck DNS, Ubuntu Server VM for MC server)

isnt the razor core like 500$ alone why not just build a pc 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($197.65 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($91.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($147.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($46.88 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB WINDFORCE OC 8G Video Card  ($509.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Rosewill - CHALLENGER ATX Mid Tower Case  ($29.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($26.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1051.47
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-22 09:52 EDT-0400

My Personal Computer

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz (OC 3.8) 6-Core Processor

Cpu cooler DEEPCOOL Gamer Storm CAPTAIN 240EX WHITE 
Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ARCTIC ATX AM4 Motherboard 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz RAM 8x3

Storage: SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 256GB SATA III

Storage:SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 500GB SATA III
Video Card: RTX 2060
Case: NZXT - S340 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case 
Power Supply: EVGA 550 B3 550W

Peripherals

Monitor: Acer XF240H 24" TN Free-Sync ,144 Hz 

Keyboard: Corsair k95 RGB platinum

Mouse: Razer basilisk

Headset: Hyperx cloud alpha pro

6 minutes ago, ..... said:

:(

1 minute ago, ShadowArk said:

100% not possible, That's the sacrifice with buying a console. No upgradeability

^

Plus where could you find usb type c port on PS4 anyways. Also thunderbolt 3 is only supported on Intel hardware which PS4 isn't. 

Personally if you able to get 1080 and razer core why don't you build yourself a decent PC. 

Magical Pineapples

Just now, Vernw3 said:

isnt the razor core like 500$ alone why not just build a pc 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($197.65 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($91.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($147.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($46.88 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB WINDFORCE OC 8G Video Card  ($509.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Rosewill - CHALLENGER ATX Mid Tower Case  ($29.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($26.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1051.47
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-22 09:52 EDT-0400

I would switch that hard drive with SSD and the OP can rip the hard drive from the PS4 or 1070 would suit him as well. 

Magical Pineapples

5 hours ago, MrUnknownEMC said:

I would switch that hard drive with SSD and the OP can rip the hard drive from the PS4 or 1070 would suit him as well. 

the cheapest 1070 are 450 so whats the point 

My Personal Computer

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz (OC 3.8) 6-Core Processor

Cpu cooler DEEPCOOL Gamer Storm CAPTAIN 240EX WHITE 
Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ARCTIC ATX AM4 Motherboard 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz RAM 8x3

Storage: SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 256GB SATA III

Storage:SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 500GB SATA III
Video Card: RTX 2060
Case: NZXT - S340 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case 
Power Supply: EVGA 550 B3 550W

Peripherals

Monitor: Acer XF240H 24" TN Free-Sync ,144 Hz 

Keyboard: Corsair k95 RGB platinum

Mouse: Razer basilisk

Headset: Hyperx cloud alpha pro

Unfortunately PS4 is vendor locked to AMD and Vega is very difficult to find right now. Have you considering using your 1080 to upgrade a Switch instead? That uses Nvidia hardware so they should be compatible through the USB C port on the dock.

9 hours ago, Vernw3 said:

the cheapest 1070 are 450 so whats the point 

You could fit 120GB ssd? What the point not having a SSD with that budget. 

Magical Pineapples

7 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Unfortunately PS4 is vendor locked to AMD and Vega is very difficult to find right now. Have you considering using your 1080 to upgrade a Switch instead? That uses Nvidia hardware so they should be compatible through the USB C port on the dock.

And how do you expect the Switch to know what a GTX 1080 is or how to use it?

unless you're being facetious

No, for these reasons.

• The PS4 in all of its configs lack a USB-C port, let alone one that’s Thunderbolt 3 capable, of which one is needed for an eGPU solution.
  • The eGPU dock requires drivers and additional software to work. The PS4 OS is a closed-source piece of software that cannot accept many third-party pieces of software that aren’t games or software from the PS Store.
  • The Razer Core costs more than a PS4 Pro at $500 vs $400, and that does not include whatever GPU you want in. If you’re buying a Core and a GTX 1080, that amounts to over $1000. At that point, it would make more sense to just build a PC.
7 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Driver update probably

It’s not really that simple.

The Switch’s USB port needs to be Thunderbolt 3 capable and Nintendo would also have to write software that allows it to communicate with the Razer Core or other eGPU docks.

The core audience of the Switch likely doesn’t know what an eGPU dock is and even if they did, they wouldn’t see the point. 

So why waste resources in developing a feature that no one with a Switch would use when they can use those resources for more useful features? Nobody who buys a Nintendo Switch really cares about how many TFLOPS the Tegra SoC has anyway.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

I heard they're going to release a single slot 1080 though that would be portable to connect to the switch. You wouldn't even need the dock then.

5 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

I heard they're going to release a single slot 1080 though that would be portable to connect to the switch. You wouldn't even need the dock then.

Your probably just trolling but you are aware that it would not be that simple right? I mean, you do needs drivers for it to work. Not to mention that the switch doesn't use thunderbolt, it just uses a regular type c port so even if it could work, there would be massive bottle necking.

MochPot: AMD Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB 3200MHz DDR4, ASRock X370 Fatality K7, 8GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070, 256gb Salvaged Intel Rando NVME SSD, Corsair RM750x, Corsair Carbide 275R, Windows 10 Pro

ZenServerRequiem: AMD Ryzen 3 2200g, 32GB 3200MHz DDR4, MSI B450 Gaming Plus, 4GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 960, 2GB Nvidia Quadro P400, 500gb Salvaged Intel Rando NVME SSD (Cache Drive only), 3 x Seagate Baracuda 2TB, Corsair CX500, Corsair Carbine 750T, Limetech Unraid (Running Plex, Jackett, Sonarr, WireShark, Duck DNS, Ubuntu Server VM for MC server)

Just now, ShadowArk said:

Your probably just trolling but you are aware that it would not be that simple right? I mean, you do needs drivers for it to work. Not to mention that the switch doesn't use thunderbolt, it just uses a regular type c port so even if it could work, there would be massive bottle necking.

Yeah but it uses Vulkan to lower that bottleneck.

2 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Yeah but it uses Vulkan to lower that bottleneck.

Vulcan doesn't increase the bandwidth of a USB type c port. It just would not work without drivers to begin with

Just now, ShadowArk said:

Vulcan doesn't increase the bandwidth of a USB type c port. 

But it doesn't need to

Just now, SteveGrabowski0 said:

But it doesn't need to

What makes you think that? The razer core operates on thunderbolt which has much high bandwidth. Without that bandwidth you will greatly bottleneck the card. Vulkan cant just make it work like magic, it cant change the hardware in the switch. It wouldn't work in the first place with those drivers so it doesn't even matter.

8 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

But it doesn't need to

At the risk of biting into the troll bait...

You do realize that API doesn't affect the bandwidth requirements of a GPU? All the API does is affect how much time the CPU spends compiling the command lists, which aren't very big to begin with.