What to replace my X58/I7 980X setup?

I have a X58 system with a mixture of new and old parts. Upgrade over time. So some things i will upgrade and other better be replaced because of old age. while some i am gonna keep. But what will guys upgrade/replace?

Usage its mostly gaming, but also random browsing and some video convert for exsample to youtube.

Note for upgrade i only want to upgrade to hig-end socket again. I have been realy happy with X58 for its reliability and how long it has been relavant so far. So it has to bee skylake X or AMD threadripper. But i am not gonna lie that i am mostly to intel and as far i have seen, intel still has the advantage in games and for CPU it needs to pack a serious grunt cause just like with X58 i am gonna keep it for severel years. I am willing to pay a good price for CPU so it can last me a long time again.

Spec as of now.

I7 980X @ 4.3 GHz cooled by an Noctua NH-D14 with 3 120 MM fans.

asus p6x58d premium motherboard. well if cpu goes, this goes two.

12 GB DDR3 corsair 1600 MHz triple channel ram same. same as motherboard.

Samsung 950 PRO 256 GB M.2 NVMe SSD. Gonna keep this.

SAMSUNG EVO 250 GB. Gonna keep this.

CRUCIAL MX300 275 GB SSD. Gonna keep this.

WD Caviar Black 1 TB. This HDD is like 8 years old now, so this is properly ready for replacement.

WD AV-GP 2 TB. This drive is about 4 years old now, so are not sure what ever to replace or keep.

EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 GAMING. This is 3 weeks old so its a keeper.

Thermaltake ToughPower 1500 Watt PSU. 8 years old so properly ready for replacement.

So what you guys think. What would you upgrade or replace?

1 minute ago, Intelfreak said:

So what you guys think. What would you upgrade or replace?

Lets wait and see what covfefe Coffee lake has in store for you :) till Aug 21st

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

3 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Lets wait and see what covfefe Coffee lake has in store for you :) till Aug 21st

"Note for upgrade i only want to upgrade to hig-end socket again. I have been realy happy with X58 for its reliability and how long it has been relavant so far. So it has to bee skylake X or AMD threadripper".

Please read before posting please.

I'm basically in the same position. X58 is still doing fine for me, and has been great for a mixed gaming/workstation for a looooooong time. But, since I now have a computer at work to do workstation things on, I've been leaning more towards building a simple high end gaming rig instead.

Basically wait for Coffee Lake announcement and those reviews before doing anything. I'm not convinced that any of the X299 or X399 systems will be longer-lived than the mainstream ones.

How well is the 1080ti doing with the X58? I'm....curious....for reasons.

3 minutes ago, bimmerman said:

I'm basically in the same position. X58 is still doing fine for me, and has been great for a mixed gaming/workstation for a looooooong time. But, since I now have a computer at work to do workstation things on, I've been leaning more towards building a simple high end gaming rig instead.

Basically wait for Coffee Lake announcement and those reviews before doing anything. I'm not convinced that any of the X299 or X399 systems will be longer-lived than the mainstream ones.

How well is the 1080ti doing with the X58? I'm....curious....for reasons.

To be fair i would rather stay on X58 than go to coofee lake. I will not just upgrade from one 6 core to another 6 core CPU. I want more cores. So coofee lake its not gonna been or any Ryzen 7 CPU´s. I am aware that Ryzen 7 also has 8 cores, but only dual channel memory and just not the performence i want. I want the good stuff.

And Yes X58 has really been an amazing plafform to work with and still is. After all these years CPU/motherboard just keep on going.

1080 TI is doing better than i exspected. 1080P a small cpu bottleneck in some games while others are just fine and a but load of FPS, but as you goes to ward 2560 x 1600 and by on that resolution, GPU keeps a stready 99 % gpu load. So it runs better than i exspected.

I7_980X_4.67_GHz_GTX_1080_TI_Super_Posit

VRtest1.jpg

time_spy_GTX_1080_TI.jpg

fire_strike_GTX_1080_TI_1.jpg

If I had to go for Skylake-X, it'd probably be the 7820X.  For $400 more, you'll only get another 2 cores with the i9.  Threadripper wouldn't be bad at gaming either and the # of threads offers longevity, but it sounds like you're already set on intel.

Just don't upgrade from X58.  

No real point to be honest. You have a good GPU, and enough Ram to where you aren't bottlenecked. 

I haven't experienced any problems or lack of performance from my system (besides the ram/GPU but you got that covered). 

If you really want to upgrade, then I just recommend swapping out the i7 for an overclocked Xeon. 

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

Advocate for used/older hardware. Also one of the resident petrol heads. 

There is no reason to upgrade technology if it does everything you need it to do. But if you really want to upgrade look into X99. Since X299 has been released the price of X99 ight go down.

5 minutes ago, Biggerboot said:

If I had to go for Skylake-X, it'd probably be the 7820X.  For $400 more, you'll only get another 2 cores with the i9.  Threadripper wouldn't be bad at gaming either and the # of threads offers longevity, but it sounds like you're already set on intel.

Yeah intel has all ways been my thing. I know threadripper is a great workstation CPU, but since i also game a lot and intel has the advantage there i think the bedst solution for me is going intel again. But that 7820X it will be at least cause i will not just upgrade to another 6 core cpu again. More cores if i upgrade. Thanks for your input.

6 minutes ago, ImadKnight said:

Just don't upgrade from X58.  

No real point to be honest. You have a good GPU, and enough Ram to where you aren't bottlenecked. 

I haven't experienced any problems or lack of performance from my system (besides the ram/GPU but you got that covered). 

If you really want to upgrade, then I just recommend swapping out the i7 for an overclocked Xeon. 

Well X58 is still no slug, but a newer cpu will convert video faster than that I7 980X can do it and a new CPU might give better minimum FPS for better gaming exsperience.

But it makes no sence to me for why i shut get a Xeon cpu? That I7 980X i have now already has 6 cores and 12 threads. It made more sence if i had a 4 core Cpu like I7 960.

Just now, Intelfreak said:

Yeah intel has all ways been my thing. I know threadripper is a great workstation CPU, but since i also game a lot and intel has the advantage there i think the bedst solution for me is going intel again. But that 7820X it will be at least cause i will not just upgrade to another 6 core cpu again. More cores if i upgrade. Thanks for your input.

Well X58 is still no slug, but a newer cpu will convert video faster than that I7 980X can do it and a new CPU might give better minimum FPS for better gaming exsperience.

But it makes no sence to me for why i shut get a Xeon cpu? That I7 980X i have now already has 6 cores and 12 threads. It made more sence if i had a 4 core Cpu like I7 960.

Oh, my bad, didn't notice you already had a 6 core. In that cases getting an Xeon wouldn't help you. And to be honest, my comment was made under the assumption that you use your system for word processing/gaming/online (like me)...

If you desire more from your system in terms of power, then I'd reccomend you go for threadripper (due to the lower price) and more of a polished off result, when compared to the intel alternative. 

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

Advocate for used/older hardware. Also one of the resident petrol heads. 

3 minutes ago, TheCherryKing said:

There is no reason to upgrade technology if it does everything you need it to do. But if you really want to upgrade look into X99. Since X299 has been released the price of X99 ight go down.

For games it does, but i know a new system with more cores would help bring down time used on task like video converting and maybe better minimum FPS in games.

3 minutes ago, ImadKnight said:

Oh, my bad, didn't notice you already had a 6 core. In that cases getting an Xeon wouldn't help you. And to be honest, my comment was made under the assumption that you use your system for word processing/gaming/online (like me)...

If you desire more from your system in terms of power, then I'd reccomend you go for threadripper (due to the lower price) and more of a polished off result, when compared to the intel alternative. 

I know Threadripper is a pretty good workstation CPU for the price, but as far i know intel still has the lead in games and is importen to me as well. If only for workstation use i would properly go after threadripper al ready. But the fact is i spend also much time with gaming, so gaming performence is also importen for me.

Its a difficult choise i think. Threadripper has the bedst workstation power for the same money while intel take take the lead in games but cost more if i goes after more cores.

Dammit why shall it be so difficult :S

5 hours ago, Intelfreak said:

I know Threadripper is a pretty good workstation CPU for the price, but as far i know intel still has the lead in games and is importen to me as well. If only for workstation use i would properly go after threadripper al ready. But the fact is i spend also much time with gaming, so gaming performence is also importen for me.

Its a difficult choise i think. Threadripper has the bedst workstation power for the same money while intel take take the lead in games but cost more if i goes after more cores.

Dammit why shall it be so difficult :S

Threadripper isn't a true workstation CPU.