Is a Alienware 17 r2 worth it?

Yessno

2 hours ago, lilbman said:

Nice one!

I get 8 hours doing work related stuff with my 6700HQ and 1060 6Gb machine on the 99Whr battery.  Point me to a gaming laptop that can match mine in terms of battery life.  

Spoiler: You probably won't find one.

well strictly to gaming machine ur right. and there is also other option like aero. anyway gl carrying one and make use of that 8 hour battery pff. 

5 minutes ago, Shiv78 said:

xps 13 is nowhere NEAR a gaming laptop. Even the XPS 15 is not a true gaming laptop with only a GTX 1050

well i shouldve stated this first. get a desktop or egpu rather than gaming machines like alienware or so called light and thin gaming laptops cuz they either suck weight battery temp price noise etc. to have one, aero would be the best option. 

13 hours ago, ZM Fong said:

Not worth it. Outperformed by GTX 1060 laptops.

If I can get him down to 900 is it worth it? Or would it be better to stick with a newer generation graphics card

13 hours ago, ZM Fong said:

Not worth it. Outperformed by GTX 1060 laptops.

If I can get him down to 900 is it worth it? Or would it be better to stick with a newer generation graphics card

6 minutes ago, Jacey said:

well strictly to gaming machine ur right. and there is also other option like aero. anyway gl carrying one and make use of that 8 hour battery pff. 

I carry mine to work everyday and I use up the battery life.  Most days I don't need the charger, but I have one at work in case I do need it.  The Aero 15 is a good laptop, I'll give it that (I almost bought one), but it cannot hold a 2.5" hard drive, which I find vital for storing games and large files.  

16 minutes ago, lilbman said:

I carry mine to work everyday and I use up the battery life.  Most days I don't need the charger, but I have one at work in case I do need it.  The Aero 15 is a good laptop, I'll give it that (I almost bought one), but it cannot hold a 2.5" hard drive, which I find vital for storing games and large files.  

well i mean if u have a car .. and idk what ur work involves but does it really require alienware? some business laptops with decent gpu could surely do the job for programming photo editing etc. why make ur life hard? even if i were to buy a gaming laptop alienwares weight and size seriously fucks the purpose of laptop. 

btw most ppl dont have situations like u, home to workplace only , prob with car,  also 8 hrs for some ppl might be a little less sufficient for a day and how much does the adapter weight for alienware? like i said aw fits the need for only few ppl.

8 minutes ago, Jacey said:

well i mean if u have a car .. and idk what ur work involves but does it really require alienware? some business laptops with decent gpu could surely do the job for programming photo editing etc. why make ur life hard? even if i were to buy a gaming laptop alienwares weight and size seriously fucks the purpose of laptop. 

btw most ppl dont have situations like u, home to workplace only , prob with car,  also 8 hrs for some ppl might be a little less sufficient for a day and how much does the adapter weight for alienware? like i said aw fits the need for only few ppl.

I ride my bike to work (I live in the city) and no, working in a law office does not require an Alienware.  I don't have any of the lighting on when I use it, and no one really notices.  In an office full of Macbooks, it stands out, but it looks reasonably high class with no lighting on.  8 pounds for a laptop seems like a lot, but once you get used to it, you hardly notice it.  The damn thing is steel reinforced, so its going to be heavy.  I'll take this tank of a laptop over any ultrabook any day.

The adapter stays in my office, so I don't carry that with me. I have one for at home and one for at work.

3 hours ago, lilbman said:

Nice one!

I get 8 hours doing work related stuff with my 6700HQ and 1060 6Gb machine on the 99Whr battery.  Point me to a gaming laptop that can match mine in terms of battery life.  

Spoiler: You probably won't find one.

Sorry if I don't want to have to tweak my laptop at all when I get it in order for it to run properly. I'll stick to a clevo reseller tyvm.

S.K.Y.N.E.T. v4.3

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RX 6700XT |   Twin 24" Pixio PX248 Prime 1080p 144Hz Displays | 256GB Sabrent NVMe (OS) | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #1 | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #2 | 2TB Samsung 860 Evo1TB Western Digital NVMe | 2TB Sabrent NVMe | Intel Wireless-AC 9260

1 hour ago, Jacey said:

pathetic

Mad at people who can lift? I used to carry 3 laptops around for security and implementation purposes. 

Also why the fuck r u comparing an xps13 to an Alienware. Fuck let's compare top speeds of a commercial aircraft vs next generation fighter jets. Seems legit. 

Also no one is telling the op to get the R2 he posted. We 're just tell you to stop giving out misinformation and doing stupid comparisons. 

If you want to compare battery life of an xps13, compare to a x270 or lg gram. 

The fact is there is no 1070 laptop that gets 8 hours cept the Alienwares. 

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

On 2017. 8. 15. at 5:05 PM, Pendragon said:

Mad at people who can lift? I used to carry 3 laptops around for security and implementation purposes. 

Also why the fuck r u comparing an xps13 to an Alienware. Fuck let's compare top speeds of a commercial aircraft vs next generation fighter jets. Seems legit. 

Also no one is telling the op to get the R2 he posted. We 're just tell you to stop giving out misinformation and doing stupid comparisons. 

If you want to compare battery life of an xps13, compare to a x270 or lg gram. 

The fact is there is no 1070 laptop that gets 8 hours cept the Alienwares. 

well ur 3 laptop part is def subjective. wont bother arguing that. same for  alienware. also whether it looks pathetic cuz someone use aw for general laptop use, carrying around with adapter for typing word document is my opinion since there are way better choices out there. no i am not mad lol but u seem mad for sure hehe not sure why. as for xps and battery life ive already explained and it is my mistake having that in mind and not clearly mentioning when typing but the implication is sort of there. 

46 minutes ago, Imglidinhere said:

Sorry if I don't want to have to tweak my laptop at all when I get it in order for it to run properly. I'll stick to a clevo reseller tyvm.

I didn't have to tweak mine at all, except for deleting some bloatware. 

53 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

@Jacey, @Shiv78

Guess I was wrong then when you two both say my statement isn't true. I thought Alienware is basically the same as Razer.

Yeah, they at least make quality products (even if the MSRP is a bit expensive) with great battery life. If over 99Wh was allowed on planes, I'm sure AW would have even bigger batteries!

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

1 hour ago, lilbman said:

I ride my bike to work (I live in the city) and no, working in a law office does not require an Alienware.  I don't have any of the lighting on when I use it, and no one really notices.  In an office full of Macbooks, it stands out, but it looks reasonably high class with no lighting on.  8 pounds for a laptop seems like a lot, but once you get used to it, you hardly notice it.  The damn thing is steel reinforced, so its going to be heavy.  I'll take this tank of a laptop over any ultrabook any day.

The adapter stays in my office, so I don't carry that with me. I have one for at home and one for at work.

well like i said why make ur life hard and pay more, ur being subjective and if ur satisfied its ok but if i were in ur situation aw is just so wrong. and in ur situation i assume its not like u cant get a desktop. 

8 minutes ago, Jacey said:

well like i said why make ur life hard and pay more, ur being subjective and if ur satisfied its ok but if i were in ur situation aw is just so wrong. and in ur situation i assume its not like u cant get a desktop. 

You said he shouldn't pay more but then said he should get a desktop and alaptop which would mean either both are mediocre or one is shit

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

Alienware is fine they have decent computers, and they're competing with Dells own XPS line of notebooks.

$1,900 and a 980... what is this 2016?... that should be at $1,200 or less at this point especially 980ms!

I'm Batman!

Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Project Xenos: Motherboard: MSI Z170a M9 ACK | CPU: i7 6700k | Ram: G.Skil TridentZ 16GB 3000mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850w G2 | Case: Caselabs SMA8 | Cooling: Custom Loop | Still in progress 

3 minutes ago, Shiv78 said:

You said he shouldn't pay more but then said he should get a desktop and alaptop which would mean either both are mediocre or one is shit

well first off i didnt say get both, 

if insisting on doing everything on laptop, and in his case esp having charger at work, cheaper one with lighter weight will do much better, considering the ad,disadvantage in general. the latter, assuming his situation, ill get a decent desktop and cheap laptop, extreme example a chrome book. 

30 minutes ago, ErickS89 said:

Alienware is fine they have decent computers, and they're competing with Dells own XPS line of notebooks.

$1,900 and a 980... what is this 2016?... that should be at $1,200 or less at this point especially 980ms!

Read the title the paragraph and the picture. It just says that's the retail.. I wish people would read and actually give I put on the topic I posted instead of having separate discussions. I mean it's great having 20+ replies but when none of them add any valueable data it doesn't do anything.

31 minutes ago, Jacey said:

if insisting on doing everything on laptop

then how will he game.....?

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

OTHER TECH I OWN:

4 minutes ago, Shiv78 said:

then how will he game.....?

a gaming laptop which isnt alienware? or a desktop? is it too hard to understand

4 hours ago, lilbman said:

This is the lowest 15" 1060 6gb I could find that was an MSI machine.-LINK

I'm still asking for someone to find a 15" 1060 6Gb i7 machine that gets 8 hours on battery OR has a battery size similar to mine (99Whr).  The one that I linked you above has a tiny 57Whr battery.

My statement still stands-Alienware is the gold standard for gaming laptop battery life.

You sir are correct on the battery AW are tops, and everyone complaining about that price, Yes that more expensive at new but they can at least backup that price. 

Friend of mine has the MSI Gs you linked and Its really solid for its price, yeah it can get noisy when gaming and battery life isn't the greatest but its price is solid and its specs also, I'd also take a 1060 over a 980M anyday. but both would be a good buy and both will have its draw backs. The perfect laptop still deoesn't exsist, you ether get Weight+size and great cooling or mediocre cooling but light weight. Sure you'll agree even on a AW any Gaming laptop the battery is sacrificed when gaming, they least all really good with the dual graphics these days.  

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

18 hours ago, ZM Fong said:

funny

umhmm def something to expect from someone who posts 3000 in computer forumss.. hehe

3 hours ago, T.I.T said:

Read the title the paragraph and the picture. It just says that's the retail.. I wish people would read and actually give I put on the topic I posted instead of having separate discussions. I mean it's great having 20+ replies but when none of them add any valueable data it doesn't do anything.

we all told you not to get it. not worth the price in the current stage. 

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

8 hours ago, lilbman said:

I didn't have to tweak mine at all, except for deleting some bloatware. 

As it has been stated in the past by myself and several others, you got lucky. Exceptionally so.

S.K.Y.N.E.T. v4.3

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RX 6700XT |   Twin 24" Pixio PX248 Prime 1080p 144Hz Displays | 256GB Sabrent NVMe (OS) | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #1 | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #2 | 2TB Samsung 860 Evo1TB Western Digital NVMe | 2TB Sabrent NVMe | Intel Wireless-AC 9260