1070 or 980 ti both second hand, which one?

oporto92

Hi, I have the opportunity to buy the EVGA Hybri 980 Ti for $550 AUD or the Gigabyte 1070 G1 for $600 AUD.

I had a quick look on google and both have very similar performance but 1070 slightly better.

What do you guys recommend? Thanks

PS: Sorry if in the wrong category

I would get the 1070

PC Specs:

CPU: Intel i9 12900K

CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H150i Elite Capellix

Mother Board: MSI z690 carbon WiFi

RAM: TeamSport Elite DDR5 2x16 4800mhz

Storage: 2TB Samsung 970 Plus NVMe, 240 SanDisk SSD Plus, Crucial MX300 750GB SSD

GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1080 

Case: Corsair Crystal 460X

PSU: Cosrair RM850X 80+ Gold

Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU 27" 1440p @ 165hz

Keyboard: Razer Black Widow Chroma

Mouse: Logitech G502

Sound: Sony MDR 1000x Headphones, Blue Snowball Microphone

Laptop Specs:

Gigabyte Aorus 15G

CPU: Intel i7 10875H

RAM: 16gb DDR4

Storage: 512gb NVMe, 1TB Crucial MX300 SATA SSD

GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070 Max-Q

By looking at the prices between the gtx 980ti and the gtx 1070, there is only a $50 difference between the two. If you want that extra performance from the 1070, than spend the additional $50. I would recommend the 1070 if you want that extra little bit of performance out of your graphics card. If you cant get a little bit more GPU power out of the 1070, than by spending the additional $50 will eliminate any further upgrades in the future. 

Another advantage for 1070 is the updated video decoder, supporting HDR and HEVC formats. That's alongside the lower power and larger video memory, compared to 980Ti.

Honestly from having a 980 ti, it depends on what your doing. For Pure gaming, it depends on the game and how they utilize resources. Generally the 1070 should be better, but it also depends on the type of games you play. 

Pros of 1070:

Easier to cool with the coolers due to the amount of TDP vs the 980 ti

Newest architecture with the bonus's that comes with pascal.

Bigger frame buffer and faster speeds.

Pros of 980 ti:

More raw performance in Rendering videos and such (1080 is roughly the same, if a bit slower in rendering with cuda)

Generally only 5-15% depending on the title, so is the 50$ worth that to you?

Generally a better price.

I will be doing more editing than gaming, specially video editing on premiere. I do play occasionally games like the Witcher 3, would be nice to play it at 3440 x 1440 with highest settings (Acer Predator X34) but more than anything I will play CSGO at 2540x1440 (black bars).

The updated video decoder is tempting, didnt know about any of that.

Also, I come from a GTX 780.

Thanks for all the inputs.

Thats not even a good price for a 980ti it better be like 320 euro MAX 476 AUD

Terrible price for a 980ti tbh...

1 minute ago, oporto92 said:

I will be doing more editing than gaming, specially video editing on premiere. I do play occasionally games like the Witcher 3, would be nice to play it at 3440 x 1440 with highest settings (Acer Predator X34) but more than anything I will play CSGO at 2540x1440 (black bars).

The updated video decoder is tempting, didnt know about any of that.

Also, I come from a GTX 780.

Thanks for all the inputs.

1070 has more VRAM

1 minute ago, Redicat said:

Thats not even a good price for a 980ti it better be like 320 euro MAX 476 AUD

Terrible price for a 980ti tbh...

Its still a EVGA Hybrid, and those are the best prices I can get here in Australia. :/:( 

1 minute ago, oporto92 said:

Its still a EVGA Hybrid, and those are the best prices I can get here in Australia. :/:( 

Still too expensive 

It comes with any warranty?

Just now, Redicat said:

Still too expensive 

Would it be worth waiting for next Nvidia's GPU ? I plan on keeping this card until the next Ti card comes out and by then I will keep whatever I get on my current old rig (currently building a new one)

Just now, oporto92 said:

Would it be worth waiting for next Nvidia's GPU ? I plan on keeping this card until the next Ti card comes out and by then I will keep whatever I get on my current old rig (currently building a new one)

What monitor is that G-Sync?

Hmm RX VEGA 

10 minutes ago, Redicat said:

What monitor is that G-Sync?

Hmm RX VEGA 

Cant afford Vega, will cost no less than $700 AUD  as it will come on that pack. Any ideas when the non pack version comes out? In that case I can wait until September. The "1070 killer" but any info on its performance on premiere?

Sorry for the question but I really dont want to spend that money if vega is worth it being 1 month away.

Thanks for the info though!

And yes the monitor is G-Sync

Edited by oporto92

10 minutes ago, oporto92 said:

The 980Ti is faster once both cards are OC'd. But it uses more power, has 2GB less VRAM and is older. It has more CUDA cores though and is faster in professional workloads as well.

My 980Ti gets extremely close to an FE GTX 1080 when I OC'd it ;)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

13 minutes ago, oporto92 said:

I would say wait until the next gen if you can, it'll drop prices down (I had two 1070s but sold them...waiting for the next gen to launch at this point...points at miners...I also don't see Vega dropping prices...if anything Vega probably will be sold out within days due to miners).

The 980 Ti is faster when OC'd. I had two 1070s, the MSI Gaming X and the EVGA FTW, and both were beaten in gaming by the 980 Ti (Gigabyte Gaming G1). I got my 980 Ti to 1.5 GHz and the 1070 to 2.1 GHz. In rendering, there was about a 10-14% gap between the two in vray.

However, as stated above, the 980 Ti uses more power / runs hotter (but that 980 Ti is a hybrid so doesn't matter as much). It also has 2GB less VRAM.

1 minute ago, Morgan MLGman said:

The 980Ti is faster once both cards are OC'd. But it uses more power, has 2GB less VRAM and is older. It has more CUDA cores though and is faster in professional workloads as well.

My 980Ti gets extremely close to an FE GTX 1080 when I OC'd it ;)

hahaha this thread has given me more questions than answers. Got no idea what to do lol.   But regarding your post, I would OC the 980ti but nut much as I am no expert and prefer to stay on the safe side of things.

1070 is more expensive. But it's a newer card, uses less power, has more VRAM, and is faster in DX12 than the 980Ti. 

980Ti is an insanely good overclocked, but it's hotter, louder, and worse in DX12, and has 2GB less VRAM.

It's also cheaper.

Your choice. 

idk

Just now, oporto92 said:

hahaha this thread has given me more questions than answers. Got no idea what to do lol.   But regarding your post, I would OC the 980ti but nut much as I am no expert and prefer to stay on the safe side of things.

I'd make the purchase based on whether you want a watercooled GPU for lower noise & temps, the remaining warranty periods on both cards and if the power draw is a concern to you.

An older, but faster and watercooled card with less VRAM that draws more power or a newer, a bit slower but more efficient GPU with more VRAM - this is what you should base the purchase on. I went for the 980Ti because it was cheaper and I got the top-end model which boosts to 1418MHz at stock so it was worth it to me for the extra performance, but that might not be the case for everyone ;)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

2 minutes ago, oporto92 said:

Its going to be quite comparable. Honestly just go with the one you like more. CS:GO you can be fine with a 1060 :P my 980 ti gets well over 350 fps once you do fps_max 600 in console.  

I'd personally go for the GTX 1070, as I've heard bad things about the 900 series and DX12. Not sure if its the same on the 980Ti but if you plan on good DX12 Performance, I'd go for the 1070

43 minutes ago, Dujith said:

An 1070 is slightly faster then  the 980ti (stock) but it also uses less power and is a bit more future proof regarding driver updates.

I would always go for the newer card in this case.

So i would recommend the 1070

all nvidia cards use the same drivers 

12 minutes ago, oporto92 said:

Cant afford Vega, will cost no less than $700 AUD  as it will come on that pack. Any ideas when the non pack version comes out? In that case I can wait until September. The "1070 killer" but any info on its performance on premiere?

Sorry for the question but I really dont want to spend that money if vega is worth it being 1 month away.

Thanks for the info though!

And yes the monitor is G-Sync

It will only cost 500 AUD but okay. xD G-Sync

2 minutes ago, billyplane1 said:

I'd personally go for the GTX 1070, as I've heard bad things about the 900 series and DX12. Not sure if its the same on the 980Ti but if you plan on good DX12 Performance, I'd go for the 1070

Hearing things is not a very accurate thing to be telling someone for advice. Unless you have experience with the card or have the proof online from videos (they are out there) dont bother with saying i hear, instead offer more solid evidence. DX12 Is still not mainstream fully, its still taking a lot of time to get fully implemented. Hopefully by next year we will be able to fully go to it with performance increases across the board.

4 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

I would say wait until the next gen if you can, it'll drop prices down (I had two 1070s but sold them...waiting for the next gen to launch at this point...points at miners...I also don't see Vega dropping prices...if anything Vega probably will be sold out within days due to miners).

The 980 Ti is faster when OC'd. I had two 1070s, the MSI Gaming X and the EVGA FTW, and both were beaten in gaming by the 980 Ti (Gigabyte Gaming G1). I got my 980 Ti to 1.5 GHz and the 1070 to 2.1 GHz. In rendering, there was about a 10-14% gap between the two in vray.

However, as stated above, the 980 Ti uses more power / runs hotter (but that 980 Ti is a hybrid so doesn't matter as much). It also has 2GB less VRAM.

Thanks, I will be getting the next Ti or next vega if better when they come out regardless of what I get now (if I get anything).  I am building a AMD 1950X PC and would like a better GPU to edit 4K video content, my 780 will bottleneck the system...