Learning Java

brandon1407
Go to solution Solved by vorticalbox,
43 minutes ago, brandon1407 said:

crouton hardly works, every distro and DE I try to run off of crouton doesn't execute properly, except for Debian 8, XFCE. But it is very slow, so if you have a method of possibly replacing Chrome OS that'd be great.

http://linux-exynos.org/wiki/Samsung_Chromebook_XE303C12/Installing_Linux

Hello people, so after about an hour of research I have determined that I am going to learn Java as my first programming language capable of creating desktop applications. I have already learned HTML, CSS, javascript and jQuery so far. The only problem is that the computer I am using is a Chromebook and only a Chromebook, which I cannot install eclipse or JDK onto. So, I have then decided that I need to buy a new PC, more specifically I have selected a Dell Optiplex 980 on Amazon that cost about $300. The problem here is, I'm 14 so I can't really get a job here, and my parents can't afford to buy that right now. So does anyone know some way I could make some quick money online?

Mow lawns or help your neighbours with PC Building

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

46 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

why not install windows or linux on your Chromebook 

Yes there are tons of tutorials are there on YouTube that how can you dualbooting chromeOS with Ubuntu.

4 hours ago, brandon1407 said:

I have determined that I am going to learn Java as my first programming language capable of creating desktop applications.

And then you said:

4 hours ago, brandon1407 said:

eclipse

Not the best choice. You should instead be using IntelliJ.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

4 hours ago, 4klips said:

Yes there are tons of tutorials are there on YouTube that how can you dualbooting chromeOS with Ubuntu.

I have a c720 running GalliumOS full time, dual booting is annoying and Chronos slows down the device when you access the Linux system.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

9 hours ago, nerdslayer1 said:

why not install windows or linux on your Chromebook 

Well I did actually try running crouton on my Chromebook, which is the first gen Samsung chromebook with the armv7l Exynos processor. I couldn't get any distro or desktop environment to work besides Debian 8 with xfce, but even then it was very slow and I can barely run eclipse, which is the only thing I could install with the arm architecture. 

5 hours ago, Nuluvius said:

And then you said:

Not the best choice. You should instead be using IntelliJ.

I'm aware that IntelliJ is probably the better IDE, but the point is I'm using Eclipse because it is free to use. With IntelliJ I know I can get a trial for it, but I would eventually have to pay quite a bit to use it.

4 hours ago, vorticalbox said:

I have a c720 running GalliumOS full time, dual booting is annoying and Chronos slows down the device when you access the Linux system.

Do you have a link to how you were able to do that? I'm assuming you used USB booting, but I'm not sure if it will work on my Samsung series 3 Chromebook (first gen).

9 hours ago, JDE said:

Mow lawns or help your neighbours with PC Building

Though that is a great idea, I live in an apartment complex and there are already professionals hired to do that. Besides that, I would be building PC's for people in my neighborhood, if it weren't such a dangerous neighborhood that is :/ 

34 minutes ago, brandon1407 said:

With IntelliJ I know I can get a trial for it, but I would eventually have to pay quite a bit to use it.

There's a Community Edition

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

49 minutes ago, brandon1407 said:

Do you have a link to how you were able to do that? I'm assuming you used USB booting, but I'm not sure if it will work on my Samsung series 3 Chromebook (first gen).

I suggest just having both with https://www.howtogeek.com/162120/how-to-install-ubuntu-linux-on-your-chromebook-with-crouton/

55 minutes ago, Nuluvius said:

There's a Community Edition

Oh, didn't notice that before. Although, I still need to have a windows PC to use that IDE. Since I only have a Chromebook with an ARMv7l processor, I don't think that even if I installed Windows on it, the architecture is different.

1 hour ago, vorticalbox said:

crouton hardly works, every distro and DE I try to run off of crouton doesn't execute properly, except for Debian 8, XFCE. But it is very slow, so if you have a method of possibly replacing Chrome OS that'd be great.

43 minutes ago, brandon1407 said:

http://linux-exynos.org/wiki/Samsung_Chromebook_XE303C12/Installing_Linux

7 minutes ago, brandon1407 said:

Thanks, I was able to install Arch Linux onto my chromebook perfectly, but I'm stuck on what the best lightweight DE would be? I tried cinnamon, that didn't work out too well.

I would say open box. Try it.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

14 hours ago, JDE said:

I would say open box. Try it.

What do you mean by open box? Isn't that just the display manager and not a full desktop?