ISP blocked my connection

niccaa23

My ISP sent a technician early morning and installed a voltage block on the main coaxial feed and for good measure on the splitter running to my modem.

I may have removed it because it blocked my modem's connection but allowed my cable boxes to remain functioning.

Cable/Internet is set to autopay via CC and I haven't had a delinquent balance since 2013. 

They wanted me to schedule a technician to enter my home to inspect the connections, which I have cancelled once I caught on.

Apparently I use 90% of their BS Data Cap which makes no sense, I've switched to using mobile hotspot to watch netflix/hulu and disconnected my IP cams (used 50gb/day cloud recording).

TLDR; am I going to get in trouble?

Edit; according to the app they "Detected loose or damaged fittings or cable" in my home that could interfere with my service.

fuck em. almost all ISPs in seattle are scummy. 

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

Who cares. Did they give you explicit instruction to not touch the device? Nope.

Fuck em as @Mohenjo says

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN RESPONDING

Please Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It. Take Time & Explain

New TOS RUINED the meme that used to be below :( 

Are you in a contract? 

If not, phone them, ask for a supervisor, explain the situation, tell them to go fuck themselves, find a new ISP

= profit

6 minutes ago, niccaa23 said:

Edit; according to the app they "Detected loose or damaged fittings or cable" in my home that could interfere with my service.

If you have damaged Fittings or wiring it can allow LTE signals to penetrate the cable network. Fucking every one in the neighborhoods service up. LTE and OTA transmitters use the same frequencies as the cable company. There is a possibility that interference was found coming from your house. One way to be sure is check your modems logs. If you notice interference on certain channels then it could be cause by interference. Generally though when they do detect interference they just disconnect your service and put a notice on it having you call them. 

9 minutes ago, niccaa23 said:

Apparently I use 90% of their BS Data Cap which makes no sense, I've switched to using mobile hotspot to watch netflix/hulu and disconnected my IP cams (used 50gb/day cloud recording).

Not sure who your ISP is. But Im with Comcast and they just charge you extra if you go over the Cap.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

7 minutes ago, Mohenjo said:

fuck em. almost all ISPs in seattle are scummy. 

I wholeheartedly agree!

7 minutes ago, Jrock said:

Who cares. Did they give you explicit instruction to not touch the device? Nope.

Fuck em as @Mohenjo says

I have messed with the lines before and nothing happened

5 minutes ago, AUniqueName said:

Are you in a contract? 

If not, phone them, ask for a supervisor, explain the situation, tell them to go fuck themselves, find a new ISP

= profit

sadly yes and my only other option is DSL which is practically like dial up. I switched to dsl and it was the worst 6 months of my life! paid for 12mb/s but realistically was getting less than 1mb/s. (it was cheap okaay!)

4 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

If you have damaged Fittings or wiring it can allow LTE signals to penetrate the cable network. Fucking every one in the neighborhoods service up. LTE and OTA transmitters use the same frequencies as the cable company. There is a possibility that interference was found coming from your house. One way to be sure is check your modems logs. If you notice interference on certain channels then it could be cause by interference. Generally though when they do detect interference they just disconnect your service and put a notice on it having you call them. 

Not sure who your ISP is. But Im with Comcast and they just charge you extra if you go over the Cap.

modem logs turn up normal, I own a townhome and my attached neighbors haven't experienced any issues.

I aint paying extra ..I just unplug my modem when the mobile app violently reminds me I have 10% left 

1 minute ago, niccaa23 said:

modem logs turn up normal, I own a townhome and my attached neighbors haven't experienced any issues.

I aint paying extra ..I just unplug my modem when the mobile app violently reminds me I have 10% left 

My point is, they are not going to disconnect you for going over. Most companies who have caps will gladly just charge you extra. You need to check all your connections and make sure they are good and tight. Besides that who knows. I guess if you dont hear from them again you should be good. 

20 minutes ago, niccaa23 said:

What is your cap and ISP? Also what's your speed, at least 5Mbps up at least I'm guessing?

What is your cap and ISP? Also what's your speed, at least 5Mbps up at least I'm guessing?

1tb cap, before they imposed the cap in the region i was averaging 400-700gb a month 

6507095110.png

2 minutes ago, niccaa23 said:

1tb cap, before they imposed the cap in the region i was averaging 400-700gb a month 

6507095110.png

Yeah, Comcast wont disconnect over going over. I use them here. Its $10 for every 50Gigs over. Unless you pay for the Unlimited option if its offered. We are using about 700 Gigs ourselves since we cut the cord. Also, keep in mind you get two OH shit we went over the cap moments before they will start charging you. 

I'm confused as to why they would dispatch a tech to install a line filter to prevent the modem from accessing their network but not just, ya know de-provision the modem so that the network would refuse it every time anyway.

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

Yeah, Comcast wont disconnect over going over. I use them here. Its $10 for every 50Gigs over. Unless you pay for the Unlimited option if its offered. We are using about 700 Gigs ourselves since we cut the cord. Also, keep in mind you get two OH shit we went over the cap moments before they will start charging you. 

I already used them up backing up my steam library to externals.

Cut the cord myself because promo ran out and policies changed to where they couldn't let me keep paying the same amount. 

Thought about going unlimited but I'd would cost the same as if I still had cable. Money is a bit tight, possibly when my car is paid off I'll reconsider going that route.

Til then I'll just unplug the modem when it gets close to cap and continue watching netflix on mobile (I get free video streaming)

9 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

I'm confused as to why they would dispatch a tech to install a line filter to prevent the modem from accessing their network but not just, ya know de-provision the modem so that the network would refuse it every time anyway.

Yeah, I'm thinking the same.

I wonder what my neighbor uses for ISP while I was poking around I noticed their lines weren't connected =X

When I called it in, they wasted 2 hours of my life troubleshooting before scheduling a tech.

Before anyone intervenes, I check the app daily to monitor data usage and "Detected loose or damaged fittings or cable" did not violently take over the screen til after the tech stealth installed the line blocks. (I even acknowledged him as he was leaving!)

[Update]

No longer receiving an alert via mobile app that they

"Detected loose or damaged fittings or cable" in my home that could interfere with my service.

2 hours ago, niccaa23 said:

My ISP sent a technician early morning and installed a voltage block on the main coaxial feed and for good measure on the splitter running to my modem.

I may have removed it because it blocked my modem's connection but allowed my cable boxes to remain functioning.

Cable/Internet is set to autopay via CC and I haven't had a delinquent balance since 2013. 

They wanted me to schedule a technician to enter my home to inspect the connections, which I have cancelled once I caught on.

TLDR; am I going to get in trouble?

Your post is incredibly confusing.

So your ISP sent a technician to your house... and what? They installed a voltage block?

Why?

Did you call them and ask them why they installed this?

Why did they send the technician to begin with? Did you call them and ask them to?

They wanted to have someone come inside your house and inspect the connections and you cancelled their visit? Why? What are you hiding that you're afraid they will see?

Your post makes little sense.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Your post is incredibly confusing.

So your ISP sent a technician to your house... and what? They installed a voltage block?

Why?

Did you call them and ask them why they installed this?

Why did they send the technician to begin with? Did you call them and ask them to?

They wanted to have someone come inside your house and inspect the connections and you cancelled their visit? Why? What are you hiding that you're afraid they will see?

Your post makes little sense.

I never requested a tech and my neighbors have no issues with their connection.

I arrived home at 6:30AM as the tech was leaving, I made small talk and went inside then noticed the internet was down. Before I could flag him down he already left.

Called support and they didn't give me a clear answer other than wasting my time "troubleshooting" 2 hours on the phone before scheduling a tech to come between 3-6pm.

Would you want a complete stranger in your home? Its not that I have something to hide or that I am "afraid" they'll see something. If its not necessary I reserve my right for privacy. 

They ran brand new lines when I closed 10+ years ago, the panel is outdoors. So tell me, what are they inspecting? 

1 hour ago, niccaa23 said:

I never requested a tech and my neighbors have no issues with their connection.

I arrived home at 6:30AM as the tech was leaving, I made small talk and went inside then noticed the internet was down. Before I could flag him down he already left.

Called support and they didn't give me a clear answer other than wasting my time "troubleshooting" 2 hours on the phone before scheduling a tech to come between 3-6pm.

Would you want a complete stranger in your home? Its not that I have something to hide or that I am "afraid" they'll see something. If its not necessary I reserve my right for privacy. 

They ran brand new lines when I closed 10+ years ago, the panel is outdoors. So tell me, what are they inspecting? 

They are inspecting inside wiring and connectors for defects. If you dont allow them to inspect they have the LEGAL right to cut your line and leave you with out service. If there is interference coming from your house FCC guide lines give them the authority to fix what ever is causing the issues. So, if interference is in play, they could tell you to that your service will be off until they do an inspection or until you fix the inside wiring. 

On 8/2/2017 at 4:01 PM, Donut417 said:

They are inspecting inside wiring and connectors for defects. If you dont allow them to inspect they have the LEGAL right to cut your line and leave you with out service. If there is interference coming from your house FCC guide lines give them the authority to fix what ever is causing the issues. So, if interference is in play, they could tell you to that your service will be off until they do an inspection or until you fix the inside wiring. 

now this makes sense, thanks!

I'll schedule an appointment when they send formal notice.

Fairly sure I found the culprit, I disconnected a DTA box that was in the guest room that was using a satellite coax. 

Nobody uses the tv so I'll be returning the box back to comcast