The Ultimate Sleeper PC Build

If you guys really were worried about thermals why didn't ya just use Ryzen to have way less power draw while maintaining an 8 core CPU?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

If you guys really were worried about thermals why didn't ya just use Ryzen to have way less power draw while maintaining an 8 core CPU?

i9 is more fun to overclock, more cores, higher clock speeds, but mostly fun to overclock

why did you use rgb when there's no side panel window?

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

2 hours ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

That's amazing haha

its from this:P

www.overclock.net/t/272898/latest-chieftec-dragon-mod

I liked the way that the camera work and music they used when showing off the PC seemed very similar to the way Mighty Car Mods film their stuff too.

It's great seeing one of my favourite youtube channels being inspired by another of my favourite youtube channels.

Thought it was going to be a sleeper, and then they went Pimp My Ride on the inside. Ah well.

14 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I still think a reverse sleeper would be funny.  Fanciest, nicest case you can find with total garbage components in it xD 

But that's just any prebuilt PC you can buy :^)

Seriously, can we stop those ridiculous meme edits in the videos?  I mean I get humor can add to something, but playing air hornes and writing "THICC" is hardly humor.  The videos are getting kind of ridiculous.  Even the techquickie's, which could be viewed by people who aren't into the whole tech scene but want to learn something have these edits which could turn off some people, including me.  I'm not alone on this either

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700k
CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI - MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Storage: Crucial P1 1tb M.2 NVME BOOT DRIVE
Video Card: MSI RTX 2070 Super
Case: NZXT - H500 (White) 
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx (2018) 550 W 80+ Gold 

33 minutes ago, nicolas2465 said:

Seriously, can we stop those ridiculous meme edits in the videos?  I mean I get humor can add to something, but playing air hornes and writing "THICC" is hardly humor.  The videos are getting kind of ridiculous.  Even the techquickie's, which could be viewed by people who aren't into the whole tech scene but want to learn something have these edits which could turn off some people, including me.  I'm not alone on this either

Some people dislike it, some poeple like it and some don't give a damn.

They can't make videos based on everyones preference, they have their audience.
LTT has always been a silly tech channel, memes and dick jokes included :)

1 hour ago, MVPernula said:

Some people dislike it, some poeple like it and some don't give a damn.

They can't make videos based on everyones preference, they have their audience.
LTT has always been a silly tech channel, memes and dick jokes included :)

Linus' jokes are fine.  It's the annoying editing that bothers me, like big flashing memes on screen and loud noises.  It's basically tumblr humor for 14 year olds.  I don't mind Linus saying a dick joke, but when you're watching a techquickie and fucking Pepe flashes on the screen giving you seizure, it's fucking annoying

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700k
CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI - MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Storage: Crucial P1 1tb M.2 NVME BOOT DRIVE
Video Card: MSI RTX 2070 Super
Case: NZXT - H500 (White) 
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx (2018) 550 W 80+ Gold 

Just now, nicolas2465 said:

Linus' jokes are fine.  It's the annoying editing that bothers me, like big flashing memes on screen and loud noises.  It's basically tumblr humor for 14 year olds.  I don't mind Linus saying a dick joke, but when you're watching a techquickie and fucking Pepe flashes on the screen giving you seizure, it's fucking annoying

I think it's pretty funny tbh, too bad you don't enjoy it however.

5Ff0ubY.png

This was my gaming rig until 2016, when I upgraded the case.  

We had to drill holes in the back for the PSU Screws, and use a Sawzall to cut out the old rear IO panel.

When I was not at college, it was connected to dual CRT monitors to make 3200x1200 resolution.  

jUJhKMW.jpg"Why would I pay $200 for a 1080p monitor when I can get more pixels than that for free?" said me who wasn't paying for my own electricity.

Budget builds are at their best with your favorite mechanical AT keyboard hooked up with a PS/2 connector.

6 hours ago, Snake_XVI said:

But that's just any prebuilt PC you can buy :^)

ehh, from what I've seen prebuilts can be split into two categories in that regard - cheap, boring oem cases and cheap, gaudy, tacky over the top "gamery" cases

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I really enjoyed this video. Hopefully it turns out to be a long running series!

@AlexTheGreatish I see that you were in Baja SAE! I was on my schools FSAE team and worked closely with the baja team. Those rigs are badass!

36 minutes ago, kawika219 said:

I really enjoyed this video. Hopefully it turns out to be a long running series!

@AlexTheGreatish I see that you were in Baja SAE! I was on my schools FSAE team and worked closely with the baja team. Those rigs are badass!

Yeah all those SAE competitions are heaps of fun, I went to school in Newfoundland so we couldn't have a FSAE team since there wasn't really anywhere to test it, but for Baja everyone and their Nan had a bog and a quad track in the backyard we could test on haha

23 hours ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Have a curved tempered glass cosmos ii case, shows off intel heatsink inside and a low profile single slot mini gt710 inside. BEAUTIFUL 

No, not the stock heatsink.

Full custom hardline loop, Cosmos II case, somehow find a waterblock for a GT210.

Specs:

- Intel 5 year-old celeron

- GT 210
- 4GB DDR3 (4x1GB sticks, so it looks like a lot of RAM)

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

52 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

No, not the stock heatsink.

Full custom hardline loop, Cosmos II case, somehow find a waterblock for a GT210.

Specs:

- Intel 5 year-old celeron

- GT 210
- 4GB DDR3 (4x1GB sticks, so it looks like a lot of RAM)

For the case I'd have to go with the Thermaltake TheTower 900, with full hardline going into 2x quad rads, a GT 1030 and a Pentium G4560, topped off with enough RGB to give a dog epilepsy.  Under full load it'd probably run at ambient temp haha

7 minutes ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

For the case I'd have to go with the Thermaltake TheTower 900, with full hardline going into 2x quad rads, a GT 1030 and a Pentium G4560, topped off with enough RGB to give a dog epilepsy.  Under full load it'd probably run at ambient temp haha

Too high-end of components.

GT 1030 and G4560 can actually run a decent number of games. you need to go lower.

other than that, yeah, it would be incredible to see 2 quad rads or even more cooling a 50W CPU and 50W GPU.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

• 1 month later...
28 minutes ago, Nicnac said:

Soo when are we gonna get the next sleeper build? :D 

It's being worked on, just taking a while since it's a really weird form factor and finding parts that fit isn't very easy :)

On 9/17/2017 at 8:23 PM, AlexTheGreatish said:

It's being worked on, just taking a while since it's a really weird form factor and finding parts that fit isn't very easy :)

Thanks for the update Alex! looking forward!

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

• 1 year later...

Hi There.

I removed this message, as I posted in an too old thread, please see the NEW Sleeper PC thread for the question.

Edited by JoOngle
Posted the question in the wrong thread.