Wait for 7740, get 7700k, or get new ryzen

Should i wait for the intel 7740 or just get the 7700k or get one of those new ryzen 7 cpu....I will basically only use this for gaming so yeah...

2 minutes ago, NoMercy said:

Wait for 8700k.........

Hmm, Coffee Lake is still 14nm, so while they seem to have bought down power usage, I don't think it'll clock as well as the i7 7700K, I know mine was lucky to hit 5.2GHz, but I doubt they'll run that much faster, or close at all, boost is rumoured to be 4.3GHz

Yours faithfully

Just now, Lord Nicoll said:

Hmm, Coffee Lake is still 14nm, so while they seem to have bought down power usage, I don't think it'll clock as well as the i7 7700K, I know mine was lucky to hit 5.2GHz, but I doubt they'll run that much faster, or close at all, boost is rumoured to be 4.3GHz

Rumour CPU-Z screenshot showing ES of 8700k OC until 5ghz. Rumour though......

Just now, NoMercy said:

I wonder if they've sorted out the, em, temp issues, because adding two more cores and having otherwise the same core architecture, Oh boy, I have issues cooling this chip as is, add two more cores and it'll be lit... literally, on fire. 

Yours faithfully

Ryzen 5/7 cpu's will last longer, and will have better minimums(this is where framerate matters. you hav have 100fps avg, but if you have an 11 min, it COULD be a very bad experience. 

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN RESPONDING

Please Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It. Take Time & Explain

New TOS RUINED the meme that used to be below :( 

6 minutes ago, Jrock said:

Ryzen 5/7 cpu's will last longer, and will have better minimums(this is where framerate matters. you hav have 100fps avg, but if you have an 11 min, it COULD be a very bad experience. 

7 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

I wonder if they've sorted out the, em, temp issues, because adding two more cores and having otherwise the same core architecture, Oh boy, I have issues cooling this chip as is, add two more cores and it'll be lit... literally, on fire. 

8 minutes ago, NoMercy said:

so for someone who is considered brain dead to all this pc language what does this mean for me? which one will give me most fps etc i will have 2 1080 ti and im still looking for a motherboard that will go with the cpu i pick/you guys recommend 

Just now, thatguyxx said:

so for someone who is considered brain dead to all this pc language what does this mean for me? which one will give me most fps etc i will have 2 1080 ti and im still looking for a motherboard that will go with the cpu i pick/you guys recommend 

For gaming, i7 7700K now, for general computing (editing, productivity) Ryzen, the i7 7740X is a waste of money for X299, so either RYzen 1700 or 1600, or an i7 7700K. If it's just gaming you want, and only gaming, the i7 7700K or possibly upcoming i7 8700K will be where it's at. 

Yours faithfully

4 minutes ago, thatguyxx said:

Just get the 7700k then. You will definitely be happy, with everything above 200++ fps.

9 minutes ago, Jrock said:

Minimums go back and forth between the 7700k, 7740X and Ryzen CPUs.  I'm not sure how you can describe that as a Ryzen feature. 

Spoiler

7740x-ashes-benchmark.png.3dbbe2568017b23ed76199dec43c99d9.png7740x-ashes-escalation-benchmark.png.2045ea0ea4ca526aaa437812e2dffb70.png7740x-gtav.png.c6eb8100f787c431722f03fe38cdad9b.png7740x-watch-dogs-2.png.c74d9a11a5afc3475ae4d9ad7ffc315c.pngi7-7740x-mll.png.a9b5d0d15ad978b0894a8e013158020c.png

8 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

For gaming, i7 7700K now, for general computing (editing, productivity) Ryzen, the i7 7740X is a waste of money for X299, so either RYzen 1700 or 1600, or an i7 7700K. If it's just gaming you want, and only gaming, the i7 7700K or possibly upcoming i7 8700K will be where it's at. 

okie dokie ill go with i7 7700k, what do you recomend for a motherboard that can hold 2 gtx 1080 ti with sli and 2 hard drives and 1 ssd

It depends on which way you think the tides will turn.  Personally, I think Ryzen 1700 will beat the 7700K once games are optimized for it from the start.  We've seen how much a simple patch will do.  That being said, I could be wrong.  Maybe developers will stay 100% focused on quad core CPU's.  Octo-core gaming CPU's haven't really been a thing until this year.

You know the 7700K will get you good gaming performance.  The 1700 could get you much better performance in the future, but it could also stay the same as it is now.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

10 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

It depends on which way you think the tides will turn.  Personally, I think Ryzen 1700 will beat the 7700K once games are optimized for it from the start.  We've seen how much a simple patch will do.  That being said, I could be wrong.  Maybe developers will stay 100% focused on quad core CPU's.  Octo-core gaming CPU's haven't really been a thing until this year.

You know the 7700K will get you good gaming performance.  The 1700 could get you much better performance in the future, but it could also stay the same as it is now.

I do think OP is buying CPU for now, not for future. By looking at his 1080 TI SLI, i do think he has the budget, and he can just upgrade his platform in the future.

25 minutes ago, thatguyxx said:

okie dokie ill go with i7 7700k, what do you recomend for a motherboard that can hold 2 gtx 1080 ti with sli and 2 hard drives and 1 ssd

Any high-end z270 board will do. If you want to do custom water cooling, especially good for running sli graphic cards and a hot 7700k, the asus maximus extreme is the most premium board you can get.

Otherwise, strix z270e gaming will do just the same. :)

20 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Plus, it will last years to come due to 2x the cores...

Please Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It. Take Time & Explain

6 minutes ago, NoMercy said:

I do think OP is buying CPU for now, not for future. By looking at his 1080 TI SLI, i do think he has the budget, and he can just upgrade his platform in the future.

If i was spending that much on a pc, id expect it to last 6-7 years. a 7700k WILL NOT last 6-7 years.

1 minute ago, Jrock said:

a 7700k WILL NOT last 6-7 years.

There's people gaming on Core2Duo E7500's.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

2 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Hell, even Sandy Bridge competes today.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

3 minutes ago, Jrock said:

If i was spending that much on a pc, id expect it to last 6-7 years. a 7700k WILL NOT last 6-7 years.

If you dont have the budget, it is better to spend seperately, every 3 years or so. Example: Buying one 1080ti then upgrade to 2080ti is better than buying 1080ti SLI and hope it last for 6-7 years.

You only buy 1080ti SLI if you are rich enough and you can actually afford to buy another 2080ti SLI in the future.

1 hour ago, Lord Nicoll said:

Here's the latest leaks for the 8700K.

Exclusive: Intel® Core™ i7-8700K Specifications (Coffee Lake)

6C/12T
12MB L3
3.7 GHz Base
4.3 GHz 6-core Turbo
4.4 GHz 4-core Turbo
4.6 GHz 2-core Turbo
4.7 GHz 1-core Turbo
95W TDP

Disclaimer: The source this info comes from has provided accurate Intel leaks in the past. For now, treat it like a rumor, but rest assured I will let you know about any changes. No pricing (MSRP) information yet. Next in line, Core i5-8600K specifications.

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/intel-skylake-kaby-lake-coffee-lake-thread-skylake-x-reviews-out-page-501.2428363/page-547#post-39000209

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

5 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

maybe 5 of them on this forum...

4 minutes ago, VagabondWraith said:

Intel hasn't innovated very much in the last 7 years. Now AMD is a thing, cores n shit are going to skyrocket, just as they did when amd was an actual competitor. If 8core is high end of mainstream in 6-7 years 8 core (might) be mid range. 4 cores will be looked at like current dual cores.

2 hours ago, VagabondWraith said:

Pretty sure Sandy Bridge is newer than Core 2 Duo's.

It's not a matter of "can".  You CAN game with an iGPU.  That doesn't mean a dGPU isn't better.  I played the Tomb Raider 2013 remake on an i5-4200M and the integrated GPU.  

Considering a 1700 does almost as well in gaming (when paired with fast RAM) as a 7700K, and the 1700's potential isn't being used, I think it's worth consideration.  They're both good options.  A 7700K will almost certainly do well for another 5 years at least.  A 1700 will probably do better though.

Anyway, I'm not saying for sure either way.  Whether or not he takes a risk on Ryzen is up to him.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440