Does a 1700 go from 65w to 95w when Overclocking?

I'm wondering how this works. Because if it stays constant, wouldn't the lower wattage provide better overclocking temperatures? It would then be a no-brainer to get the 1700 over the 1700x, even if they were the same price.

The Thermal design power does not denote actual power draw of a CPU. And overclocking will not make it leap to any given set TDP of another product. That being said, the more Volts you use while overclocking will increase the heat output as well as the power draw.

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

6 minutes ago, Sin Stalker said:

I'm wondering how this works. Because if it stays constant, wouldn't the lower wattage provide better overclocking temperatures? It would then be a no-brainer to get the 1700 over the 1700x, even if they were the same price.

TDP is an average figure given for how much heat, in watts, a processor will output so system builders and integraters can design a cooling system that can cool it. When overclocking TDP is kinda irreverent unless you want to actually calculate it again, it is not a measure of power consumption either, however the two are related. 

Yours faithfully