-basically AM4 mobo VRM discussion-

45 minutes ago, Andromedoh said:

How are you measuring the temps? 

Try touching the chokes and caps see how hot they are

HW Monitor.

They would probably be warmish.

TMPIN2 is your VRM temps, so that is what I am going by.

Desktop:

AMD Ryzen 7 @ 3.9ghz 1.35v w/ Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 Edition

ASUS STRIX X370-F GAMING Motherboard

ASUS STRIX Radeon RX 5700XT

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200

Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME

2x4TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

Sceptre C305B-200UN Ultra Wide 2560x1080 200hz Monitor

Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Keyboard

Logitech G903 Mouse

Oculus Rift CV1 w/ 3 Sensors + Earphones

Laptop:

Acer Nitro 5:

Intel Core I5-8300H

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 2666

Geforce GTX 1050ti 4GB

Intel 600p 256GB NVME

Seagate Firecuda 2TB SSHD

Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

VRM temps through HW Monitor are extremely unreliable.

Going off of what we have seen on other boards I would guess its at least 45c to 50c if you were to measure with a standalone thermometer.

26 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

Going off of what we have seen on other boards I would guess its at least 45c to 50c if you were to measure with a standalone thermometer.

Even then, the other TMPIN in HW Monitor was in the 50s, so it could have been that.

Desktop:

AMD Ryzen 7 @ 3.9ghz 1.35v w/ Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 Edition

ASUS STRIX X370-F GAMING Motherboard

ASUS STRIX Radeon RX 5700XT

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200

Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME

2x4TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

Sceptre C305B-200UN Ultra Wide 2560x1080 200hz Monitor

Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Keyboard

Logitech G903 Mouse

Oculus Rift CV1 w/ 3 Sensors + Earphones

Laptop:

Acer Nitro 5:

Intel Core I5-8300H

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 2666

Geforce GTX 1050ti 4GB

Intel 600p 256GB NVME

Seagate Firecuda 2TB SSHD

Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

6 hours ago, KarathKasun said:

Well, in my case they correspond to the back of the PCB

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

Has anyone here used something like a NH-C14S to cool their CPU and vrm?

Properly oriented, it would blow directly on the vrm heatsinks. I'm willing to bet this would extend the overclock range on b350 boards.

System specs:

GTX 1050

16GB DDR3

Samsung evo SSD

a few HDD's

I dont think the Strix B350-F has VRM temp sensors, I think those temps are from sensors probably near the memory. Run Prime 95 for 15mins then touch the caps trust me it will burn your finger, that is far too hot for caps they will not last long at those temps. But I suppose if your just gaming you should be ok, I would stick a 80mm fan blowing over them

Just now, Andromedoh said:

I dont think the Strix B350-F has VRM temp sensors, I think those temps are from sensors probably near the memory. Run Prime 95 for 15mins then touch the caps trust me it will burn your finger, that is far too hot for caps they will not last long at those temps. But I suppose if your just gaming you should be ok, I would stick a 80mm fan blowing over them

Which CPU? I am running R5 1600 and there are readings, under TMPIN 2 in HWMonitor. They correspond (+-2°C) to the backside of the PCB. I stopped caring since i have a guy who will buy my B350-F and i will get X370-F because i want dem 10 IR3555s (VRM worth 80USD)

53 minutes ago, Terryv said:

Has anyone here used something like a NH-C14S to cool their CPU and vrm?

Properly oriented, it would blow directly on the vrm heatsinks. I'm willing to bet this would extend the overclock range on b350 boards.

I still isnt good. You need a lot of airflow over the most types of heatsinks on B350 (except Strix and Prime ones, these will need a bit less).

The heat output of the VRM still says the same and still same amount of the heat goes through the PCB to the capacitors which are hot on their own.

It wont drastically extend the lifespan of the caps, maybe in days or month.

36 minutes ago, dave_k said:

I still isnt good. You need a lot of airflow over the most types of heatsinks on B350 (except Strix and Prime ones, these will need a bit less).

The heat output of the VRM still says the same and still same amount of the heat goes through the PCB to the capacitors which are hot on their own.

I was planning on using this cooler (fan mounted on the bottom, blowing down)with a b350 strix and I was hoping it could allow for a reasonable overclock on a 1700

System specs:

GTX 1050

16GB DDR3

Samsung evo SSD

a few HDD's

31 minutes ago, Terryv said:

I was planning on using this cooler (fan mounted on the bottom, blowing down)with a b350 strix and I was hoping it could allow for a reasonable overclock on a 1700

Reasonable = no more than 1.32V and 3.8GHz

1 hour ago, dave_k said:

Which CPU? I am running R5 1600 and there are readings, under TMPIN 2 in HWMonitor. They correspond (+-2°C) to the backside of the PCB. I stopped caring since i have a guy who will buy my B350-F and i will get X370-F because i want dem 10 IR3555s (VRM worth 80USD)

mind keeping me updated on whether that x370-f does better for OC on 1600 and mem? 

Just now, Technicolors said:

mind keeping me updated on whether that x370-f does better for OC on 1600 and mem? 

Yeah but i expect no difference. My chip is garbage and memory support is the same between both. Today i just a notif from a guy who would buy my B350, so i may have the X370-F before end of the week

3 minutes ago, dave_k said:

Yeah but i expect no difference. My chip is garbage and memory support is the same between both. Today i just a notif from a guy who would buy my B350, so i may have the X370-F before end of the week

get a 1600x, sell the 1600 

5 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

get a 1600x, sell the 1600 

Nah, i am not a milionare and i need the PC for school

9 hours ago, dave_k said:

On my board all the motherboard temps read the same, Ive tried several software and they all report the same temps it never goes above 56oc so god knows. I have a ASRock X370 Gaming K4 coming tomoz so all is good :D 

8 hours ago, Andromedoh said:

On my board all the motherboard temps read the same, Ive tried several software and they all report the same temps it never goes above 56oc so god knows. I have a ASRock X370 Gaming K4 coming tomoz so all is good :D 

I hope you get the good version, not the crappy one.

Take the heatsinks off and check.

It is one of the "bad X370s"

5 hours ago, dave_k said:

I got it for a good price it was only £23 more than the Asus board, apparently it uses 6 x SM4337 for the high side which are capable of 35A continuous at 100oc, from what I've read they hit around 80oc @4ghz 1.4V, that will do for me and Ill put a fan over them also

Oh I got that wrong it uses 8 phase 4+2 

4 hours ago, dave_k said:

I'll take it off and have a look :) whats the difference between the good and crappy ones?

23 hours ago, dave_k said:

The board in question is a strix b350. I already have a new one that I bought locally for cheap. I would hate to be limited on a 1700 and get the itch to upgrade my board. I might opt for a 1600 (x) instead

System specs:

GTX 1050

16GB DDR3

Samsung evo SSD

a few HDD's

3 minutes ago, Terryv said:

The board in question is a strix b350. I already have a new one that I bought locally for cheap. I would hate to be limited on a 1700 and get the itch to upgrade my board. I might opt for a 1600 (x) instead

No B350 is ideal for the R7 line of CPU's, even the best of them have VRM heat problems.  Even the lower end X370 boards can have issues because they are just B350 boards with a different chipset.

1 hour ago, Andromedoh said:

I'll take it off and have a look :) whats the difference between the good and crappy ones?

Good - Sinopower 

Bad - Niko

19 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

No B350 is ideal for the R7 line of CPU's, even the best of them have VRM heat problems.  Even the lower end X370 boards can have issues because they are just B350 boards with a different chipset.

I'm aware of all that. My setup will also have a downdraft cooler that will have a fan almost sitting directly on the VRM heatsink. If that can sustain at least 1.35v, I might opt for the 1700. I'm torn on what to do

System specs:

GTX 1050

16GB DDR3

Samsung evo SSD

a few HDD's

Depends on weather you want 8 cores at ~3.8ghz or 6 cores at ~4.0ghz.  Luck of the draw can change your clock range significantly as well.

On 10/3/2017 at 12:38 PM, dave_k said:

Good - Sinopower 

Bad - Niko

I got lucky got the Sino 4227

Been doing some testing and this board is far better than the Asus, I can now run my ram @ 3200 MHZ not got it stable yet but I haven't changed the tight timings so Im sure I can get it stable, also the board uses 10 watt less at idle and 20 watt at full load even with faster ram. The VRM runs much cooler and I can monitor the temps and current in and out the VRM with this board its awesome. I haven't had time to fully test and tweak everything yet though

This is at 3.9GHZ running prime as you can see theres approx 20w heat being dumped into the board and heatsink on the VRM as such it runs much cooler and efficient than the Asus board 

vrm.jpg

2 minutes ago, Andromedoh said:

I got lucky got the Sino 4227

Been doing some testing and this board is far better than the Asus, I can now run my ram @ 3200 MHZ not got it stable yet but I haven't changed the tight timings so Im sure I can get it stable, also the board uses 10 watt less at idle and 20 watt at full load even with faster ram. The VRM runs much cooler and I can monitor the temps and current in and out the VRM with this board its awesome. I haven't had time to fully test and tweak everything yet though

This is at 3.9GHZ running prime as you can see theres approx 20w heat being dumped into the board and heatsink on the VRM as such it runs much cooler and efficient than the Asus board 

vrm.jpg

It uses SM4337 and SM4336 afaik.

Also, i am doing heat calculations only for VCore VRM, dont forget, the SOC uses around 25A.

Dunno how could you get 3200MHz if the mobo was discontinued for memory frequency limitation to 2933.