(HELP) Why can't I install Windows on my NVMe drive?

Hello.

I bought an NVMe to install windows on for some more speed but i've hit a roadblock. After finally being able to choose the drive when installing windows it went all crazy after it needed to reboot when installing. Now it just gives me an error when I try to boot on that drive! "error code: 0xc00000e"

What to do?

What version of Windows?

What are the computer specs?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

To be more specific:

What kind of Nvme drive?

What Motherboard?

Version of the motherboard BIOS

11 minutes ago, Dujith said:

To be more specific:

What kind of Nvme drive?

What Motherboard?

Nvme = Corsair force mp500

MB = MSI z97s sli plus

Not sure what version. 

I just tried again from scratch with the same result...

13 minutes ago, Dujith said:

To be more specific:

What kind of Nvme drive?

What Motherboard?

Version = E7930IMS V1.0

Not knowing what version of windows you are trying to install is the biggest problem. At first glance i would assume you are trying to install windows 7 on NVME and do not have the correct IRST or RSTE drivers loaded

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

4 minutes ago, DnFx91 said:

Not knowing what version of windows you are trying to install is the biggest problem. At first glance i would assume you are trying to install windows 7 on NVME and do not have the correct IRST or RSTE drivers loaded

Sorry, its on Windows 10.

Just now, Vizie said:

Sorry, its on Windows 10.

in which case, does ur motherboard support NVME through the M.2 slot you have put the drive in ? or is it AHCI only ?

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

5 minutes ago, DnFx91 said:

I just keep getting "error code: 0xc00000e" when then system restarts when the installation is in progress.. I've tried some fixes for the errorcode that I found online but it doesnt work :/

Just now, DnFx91 said:

in which case, does ur motherboard support NVME through the M.2 slot you have put the drive in ? or is it AHCI only ?

I asked this myself a few days ago on the forum and some guy with the exact same motherboard as me told me he was currently using a NVMe in that slot. I can put files in the NVMe when I'm in windows on my other SSD

ive just checked the specs of ur board, the M.2 only supports SATA, probably cos of the age of ur board. Mine is exactly the same, i can boot AHCI PCIe SSD's through my B85 board, but not NVME, limitation of 4th gen Intel CPU's as far as i know. 

Home PC:

Work PC:

1 minute ago, Dujith said:

First thing first. Update to 1.A

I tried to update a few days ago but I got stuck on 100% for like 2 hours so I just shut it down :/

Just now, DnFx91 said:

ive just checked the specs of ur board, the M.2 only supports SATA, probably cos of the age of ur board. Mine is exactly the same, i can boot AHCI PCIe SSD's through my B85 board, but not NVME, limitation of 4th gen Intel CPU's as far as i know. 

https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/178220-arikozum/ This guy was using the same motherboard as me and he is using a NVMe!

1 minute ago, Vizie said:

https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/178220-arikozum/ This guy was using the same motherboard as me and he is using a NVMe!

sorry misread, it does also support PCIe Gen 2, however no mention of NVME, i have heard of cases where people have made it work with BIOS upgrades, but not super reliable

Home PC:

Work PC:

Just now, DnFx91 said:

sorry misread, it does also support PCIe Gen 2, however no mention of NVME, i have heard of cases where people have made it work with BIOS upgrades, but not super reliable

Yeah, as its an older board i've heard its not AS fast as it COULD be but it works for him.

2 minutes ago, Vizie said:

I tried to update a few days ago but I got stuck on 100% for like 2 hours so I just shut it down :/

How did u update? via an USB stick?

Best to try it again, cuz it will be prob a bios fix

Just now, DnFx91 said:

also the fact it works in someone elses PC does not tell us much, there is a chance that he is simply running the drive in AHCI mode over PCIe (which is what i am doing) 

If an NVME drive is put into a slot that doesnt support it, the drive will still work, but just using the slower AHCI protocol

Home PC:

Work PC:

4 minutes ago, Dujith said:

First thing first. Update to 1.A

Dude. In the MSI video for updating it says "bootableusb" in the name of the usb he is using. Is this needed?

1 minute ago, Vizie said:

Yeah, as its an older board i've heard its not AS fast as it COULD be but it works for him.

yeah i bet he is running it AHCI. 

Home PC:

Work PC:

Just now, DnFx91 said:

yeah i bet he is running it AHCI. 

In AHCI will it still be faster than a regular SSD?

Just now, Vizie said:

In AHCI will it still be faster than a regular SSD?

yeah my kingston predator is an SSD from the between period where M.2 was a thing, but NVME wasnt quite ready. Its a PCIe AHCI SSD, the speed is still head and shoulders over a SATA SSD, reads about 1.4GB/s and writes at about 800MB/s.

Home PC:

Work PC:

Just now, DnFx91 said:

yeah my kingston predator is an SSD from the between period where M.2 was a thing, but NVME wasnt quite ready. Its a PCIe AHCI SSD, the speed is still head and shoulders over a SATA SSD, reads about 1.4GB/s and writes at about 800MB/s.

the only reason i would ever upgrade my gaming rig is to get NVME boot support with 6th/7th gen intel and all that jazz. But i have an NVME booting laptop so don't really care.

Home PC:

Work PC:

Just now, DnFx91 said:

Okay. Did you have to change any settings in BIOS for it to work? As I had to change from UEFI(i hope thats right) with legacy to UEFI only (It was something with an U i believe haha...) for it to even be able to install windows on it

3 minutes ago, Vizie said:

Okay. Did you have to change any settings in BIOS for it to work? As I had to change from UEFI(i hope thats right) with legacy to UEFI only (It was something with an U i believe haha...) for it to even be able to install windows on it

apparently i got very lucky, i built my PC before really having a firm grasp on compatibility and such, i just bought a kingston predator in a PCIe riser, chucked it into my Gen 2 x8 slot, and it just worked on BIOS defaults magically lol. Even managed to install windows 7 on it without any RST drivers, magic, or luck.

Home PC:

Work PC: