(HELP) Why can't I install Windows on my NVMe drive?

4 minutes ago, Vizie said:

Okay. Did you have to change any settings in BIOS for it to work? As I had to change from UEFI(i hope thats right) with legacy to UEFI only (It was something with an U i believe haha...) for it to even be able to install windows on it

and yes sorry, UEFI is basically a requirement for using NVME, any legacy support will fuck things up

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Just now, DnFx91 said:

apparently i got very lucky, i built my PC before really having a firm grasp on compatibility and such, i just bought a kingston predator in a PCIe riser, chucked it into my Gen 2 x8 slot, and it just worked on BIOS defaults magically lol. Even managed to install windows 7 on it without any RST drivers, magic, or luck.

Im so jaleous.. I just want this shit to be done :(

But its so weird cause the only error I get is that a file is missing... Shouldnt it be worse if the drive wasnt supported?

Just now, Vizie said:

Im so jaleous.. I just want this shit to be done :(

But its so weird cause the only error I get is that a file is missing... Shouldnt it be worse if the drive wasnt supported?

well, it could be looking for a file in the boot sector, which it can no longer access without the windows installer environment running. I would recommend defaulting your BIOS, disable any legacy support, make sure of obvious things like your M.2 slot being set to PCIe and not SATA, and it should work. Only thing im not sure of, is whether it won't work because it is an NVME drive, as i said, i have made this work on an older chipset by using an AHCI drive.

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

2 minutes ago, DnFx91 said:

well, it could be looking for a file in the boot sector, which it can no longer access without the windows installer environment running. I would recommend defaulting your BIOS, disable any legacy support, make sure of obvious things like your M.2 slot being set to PCIe and not SATA, and it should work. Only thing im not sure of, is whether it won't work because it is an NVME drive, as i said, i have made this work on an older chipset by using an AHCI drive.

I'll try it now :)

Seems like I toasted my motherboard..

1 minute ago, Vizie said:

Seems like I toasted my motherboard..

! what do you mean ?

Home PC:

Work PC:

Just now, DnFx91 said:

! what do you mean ?

I updated it. Now when I start my computer it's just a white little "-" on black background..

21 minutes ago, Vizie said:

I updated it. Now when I start my computer it's just a white little "-" on black background..

oh ok thats a good sign, dont think your board is fried, just stuck after the update, did you remove the USB stick when it rebooted ? Gotta leave the USB with the BIOS file plugged into the motherboard (not the case ports) after a reboot incase the mobo wants to do a verification. 

If this isnt the case, just do a CMOS reset by pulling the watch battery out, and putting back in after a few mins, make sure u turn off PSU too, gotta totally drain power from the system with the CMOS battery out.

Should boot up fine after doing this

Home PC:

Work PC:

52 minutes ago, Vizie said:

Dude. In the MSI video for updating it says "bootableusb" in the name of the usb he is using. Is this needed?

No, the bios should just see the USB drive regardless of name.

Just make sure its FAT32 and nothing else

Edit: Just saw you already updated it. Or at least trying to.

2 minutes ago, Dujith said:

No, the bios should just see the USB drive regardless of name.

Just make sure its FAT32 and nothing else

Edit: Just saw you already updated it. Or at least trying to.

Just did. Same thing happend

8 minutes ago, DnFx91 said:

oh ok thats a good sign, dont think your board is fried, just stuck after the update, did you remove the USB stick when it rebooted ? Gotta leave the USB with the BIOS file plugged into the motherboard (not the case ports) after a reboot incase the mobo wants to do a verification. 

If this isnt the case, just do a CMOS reset by pulling the watch battery out, and putting back in after a few mins, make sure u turn off PSU too, gotta totally drain power from the system with the CMOS battery out.

Should boot up fine after doing this

Didn't work :(

4 minutes ago, Vizie said:

Didn't work :(

you can still get into BIOS though ? And boot select menu ?

Home PC:

Work PC:

Just now, DnFx91 said:

you can still get into BIOS though ? And boot select menu ?

Nope. It's just all black with a white underline in the top left corner

Just now, Vizie said:

Nope. It's just all black with a white underline in the top left corner

is it flashing ?

Home PC:

Work PC:

4 minutes ago, DnFx91 said:

is it flashing ?

Flashing for like 3 sec then it moves and becomes static

sounds like its trying to boot a nonbootable device. spam f12 or f8 when you turn it on to get into the boot select menu, then force it to boot your windows partition

Home PC:

Work PC:

14 minutes ago, DnFx91 said:

sounds like its trying to boot a nonbootable device. spam f12 or f8 when you turn it on to get into the boot select menu, then force it to boot your windows partition

Bios isn't booting at all though :/

1) Remove NVMe drive, and see if that helps moving past the underline. Clear CMOS ?

2) Did you formated the drive as MBR, or GPT ?

3) Are you booting in UEFI mode ?

CPU : Core i7 6950X @ 4.26 GHz + Hydronaut + TRVX + 2x Delta 38mm PWM
MB : Gigabyte X99 SOC (BIOS F23c)
RAM : 4x Patriot Viper Steel 4000MHz CL16 @ 3042MHz CL12.12.12.24 CR2T @1.48V.
GPU : Titan Xp Collector's Edition (Empire)
M.2/HDD : Samsung SM961 256GB (NVMe/OS) + + 3x HGST Ultrastar 7K6000 6TB
DAC : Motu M4 + Audio Technica ATH-A900Z
PSU: Seasonic X-760 || CASE : Fractal Meshify 2 XL || OS : Win 10 Pro x64

• 1 year later...
Hi Linus and co.

I was considering starting new discussion but this one wasnt quite closed yet! 9_9

I am Unable to install Win10 onto NWMe M.2 Corsair MP500, MoBo MSI B350M Mortar.
M.2 is recognised in latest BIOS, i tried installing from USB both UEFI and non!
Still the installation shows there's missing drivers for hardware and to insert it. And wouldn't show M.2
Tried secure boot on/off!
Tried legacy support on/off!
Please help!
Trying to install Win10 pro 64bit.
EDIT: It appears that error must have occurred while creating USB installation using iso and rufus!
It was completely my fault and installation followed without any hiccups on to M.2!
Edited by Ifter
solved