zombie apocalypse internet and cell phones

willsamuels
7 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

The Marines also love their acronyms. We used to get old brochures and such from meetings, and it'd be a 40-50 page booklet, with 3+ pages at the back, explaining what all the acronyms were! xD

O yeah, all the the military branches love their acronyms.  It very bad in communications.  The amount of acronyms I have to remember is nuts at times.  Heck, my CDC books had acronyms every paragraph or sentence it seem like.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

Just now, Ithanul said:

O yeah, all the the military branches love their acronyms.  It very bad in communications.  The amount of acronyms I have to remember is nuts at times.  Heck, my CDCs had acronyms every paragraph or sentence it seem like.

More like 3 in each sentence. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

On 7/22/2017 at 4:18 PM, Trik'Stari said:

I always wondered if that was possible. (network traffic over radio)

Awe, look at @Ithanul Spreading the ham radio love!

Just posted this the other day on another topic, but, there are already Ham-Radio mesh networks already in existence, using modified Ubiquity (and other) equipment. Complete with servers and whatnot for weather, messaging, etc. Because we have frequency allocations in the GHz, we can utilize the commercially available gear for our needs.

https://hamwan.org/

http://www.broadband-hamnet.org/

http://www.aredn.org/

Yeah, internet as we know it will cease to exist, until new backbones can be set up (I mean, there already are backups of backups... but still...). But it would be a long time until that's made available to civilians. 

But in addition, you also already have in existence GPS tracking systems that rely on nothing more than two radios with GPS. This is called APRS. With it you can see the location, direction, speed, etc of "nearby" operators. You also have messaging possible between operators using the same system. Nearby is very subject to terrain and existence of a digipeater. 
Because we do currently have internet, the internet is used to collect the information and put it on a pretty map: https://aprs.fi/#!lat=45.00590&lng=-93.43050

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

1 hour ago, d3sl91 said:

Awe, look at @Ithanul Spreading the ham radio love!

I am really digging into the study book.  Can't wait to get my license once I am back State side.

One good thing, the knowledge from ham radio and my computer hobby is turning out to be super helpful while deployed as the comm person.  RF is not my main career field, but most of the time we don't have a RF peep on hand.  Pretty much my goal is to be cross train across both Transport (routers, switches, satellites) and RF (radio, GPS) field to go along with my main career field (admin, servers, client systems).

Ham radio is neat by how far I read up on it.  Still a lot to learn though.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

12 hours ago, Thunderpup said:

Just an FYI the reactor cooling in all U.S plants are gravity fed, which means the water used to feed cooling  sits on top of the vessel.  Nothing really to pump so there isn't an issue of a pump failure like with Fukushima.

It's not the reactor itself that I am concerned with. It's the cooling ponds. The places they store spent fuel right after it comes out of the reactor. It has to sit in one of these ponds for a few years before it can be put into a cask for dry storage in a place like Yucca Mountain.

I would assume, in the absence of humans that the reactors would (hopefully) shut down at the first sign of trouble and go into a "cold shutdown" state.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Best way to survive the apocalypse is on a tropical island in oceania :D. Get in contant with someone over there over HAM radio then steal a boat and get over there! All communications other than radio and sattellite would be down, including normal cell phones and the internet (duh!). Also it would be smart to bring hard to find materials with you to trade so you can start your new life.

7 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

It's not the reactor itself that I am concerned with. It's the cooling ponds. The places they store spent fuel right after it comes out of the reactor. It has to sit in one of these ponds for a few years before it can be put into a cask for dry storage in a place like Yucca Mountain.

I would assume, in the absence of humans that the reactors would (hopefully) shut down at the first sign of trouble and go into a "cold shutdown" state.

Those "cooling ponds" are actually concrete vaults with a steel liner.  It's a closed system which means the water doesn't go anywhere, except that it is circulated to maintain a steady temp.  Now what would occur when it stops circulating is beyond my knowledge.

As far as the reactor itself there would be procedures for an emergency shut down.  I don't think there is anything automated that would shut it down, but instead the plant operators are trained to expect that in an event it is their responsibility to bring the reactor down safely. 

8 hours ago, Thunderpup said:

Those "cooling ponds" are actually concrete vaults with a steel liner.  It's a closed system which means the water doesn't go anywhere, except that it is circulated to maintain a steady temp.  Now what would occur when it stops circulating is beyond my knowledge.

As far as the reactor itself there would be procedures for an emergency shut down.  I don't think there is anything automated that would shut it down, but instead the plant operators are trained to expect that in an event it is their responsibility to bring the reactor down safely. 

I know for a fact that the reactors have automatic shutoff systems in the event that something on the reactor malfunctions.

And I hope you're right about the cooling ponds lol

13 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

I know for a fact that the reactors have automatic shutoff systems in the event that something on the reactor malfunctions.

And I hope you're right about the cooling ponds lol

i know they have automated shutoff systems, but i don't know to what degree those systems actually shut things off.  It's one thing to shut down certain aspects of the process and another to bring the reactor completely offline all on it's own.

As for the ponds here is a picture below straight from the NEI website.

dry cask storage

and for good measure here is the link to where i grabbed the picture which talks about spent fuel storage.

https://www.nei.org/Issues-Policy/Used-Nuclear-Fuel-Management/At-Reactor-Storage-of-Used-Nuclear-Fuel

9 hours ago, Thunderpup said:

i know they have automated shutoff systems, but i don't know to what degree those systems actually shut things off.  It's one thing to shut down certain aspects of the process and another to bring the reactor completely offline all on it's own.

As for the ponds here is a picture below straight from the NEI website.

dry cask storage

and for good measure here is the link to where i grabbed the picture which talks about spent fuel storage.

https://www.nei.org/Issues-Policy/Used-Nuclear-Fuel-Management/At-Reactor-Storage-of-Used-Nuclear-Fuel

I was mainly worried about the pools themselves, not the casks.

I wonder how many dumbasses would end up trying to loot NPP's based purely on their knowledge of them from video games like STALKER lol

The internet is just a network of other networks.  So the internet globally would not work.  BUT I would imagine communities with power having their own internets.  And that radio communications would be high.  There is always someone in a town that is super into radio and would be able to establish communications with other settlements.  

So, let's say there are settlements in different cities and states over America.  They wouldn't be able to have the internet we know today but they would no doubt be able to be interconnected and send basic text messages. I would imagine settlements would setup everyone with radios so everyone would be able to communicate.  

Its quite interesting thinking about it.  The internet is maintained by thousands of technicians and there would be some routes completely offline.  If there were some places that had power and a few technicians it's possible that with newer routing protocols they could communicate but parts of the world with only one or two routes would be totally dark.